Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 09:38 PM   #1
Skunk
Banned User

First of all I want to say that BG2 is a SERIOUSLY GOOD GAME. End of story.
But there are a few things that I find annoying, so maybe this is a good place to start a debate. The aim isn't to tear down BG2, just to point out the deficiencies...

1. "xxx" failed to copy spell to spell book..
Yeah right - like I don't save before I make the attempt to write the spell to the spell book. So the whole bit about failing or succeeding is a bit pointless - anyone agree? Everytime you fail to write the spell, you just reload your saved game - so why have this 'functionality' built in?

2. Who thought up the original proficiency points for Minsc, Aerie etc?
Why does Minsc a ++Two handed sword and a ++Dual weapon??? Duh?

Anyone else bugged by something?
Old 09-06-2001, 10:07 PM   #2
Ratweed
Manshoon

Minsc has points into dual weild because he is a ranger and thy natuarrally have points into it. The spell book thing is there because some players serously play all the rules and they dont reaload.

Ps. if you toned down the setting to i think easy you dont ever not memorize a spell
Old 09-06-2001, 10:10 PM   #3
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

You can set the game difficulty to normal if you want to learn spell without error. If you do this, also your characters will gain max HP when they advance a level.

And for minsc, Minsc is a huge guy so he's specialized with 2 handed. But because of his ranger class he automatically gains 2 slots in dual wielding.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:21 PM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

You can set the game difficulty to normal if you want to learn spell without error. If you do this, also your characters will gain max HP when they advance a level.

And for minsc, Minsc is a huge guy so he's specialized with 2 handed. But because of his ranger class he automatically gains 2 slots in dual wielding.

------------------
"A silent blade does not cut always best..
But a burst of flame from the heart will warm the deepness of my friends and will burn our unholy enemies.."

-Archmagi Of Six
Old 09-06-2001, 11:37 PM   #5
Kitty
Manshoon

I found irritating that most weapons and armors, unlike in BG1, have strenght minimum scores required. Look at the bows, for example. I thought only a good dexterity was enough to wield Heartseeker +3, but instead, it required a strenght score of 18. In BG1, Viconia could wear a plate mail and some light weapons, but in BG2 she can't, even if she does not become overloaded.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:18 AM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

Here's another one I forgot to mention.

I created a thief and MAXED OUT his pickpocket abilities.
Now I figured that the thief (who has v. poor fighting abilities/armour class) could then make himself useful by making loads of cash to buy armour/weapons for the other party members.

In other words, he offsets his poor combat abilities by beefing up the other party members.

But! It turns out that the more times you pickpocket, the less chances you have of succeeding. Eventually, somewhere in chapt 2, I couldn't pickpocket ANYONE without getting caught anymore... That made him useless - so I had to restart the game...
Old 09-09-2001, 02:41 PM   #7
Kitty
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitty:
I found irritating that most weapons and armors, unlike in BG1, have strenght minimum scores required. Look at the bows, for example. I thought only a good dexterity was enough to wield Heartseeker +3, but instead, it required a strenght score of 18. In BG1, Viconia could wear a plate mail and some light weapons, but in BG2 she can't, even if she does not become overloaded.
Talking about bows, in Irenicus' dungeon, you find a lot of goblin archers who have composite long bows, which in turn require a strenght score of 18! I just can't believe those pesky goblins have at least 18 str...

Kitty

Old 09-09-2001, 09:31 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I found a lot of the Athkatla quests were annoying, when to complete them you had to go to about four different areas. Like Jan's quest. Back and forth from slums to government to slums etc. And I find Irenicus's dungeon almost puts me off starting new games it's so boring.
Old 09-10-2001, 04:18 PM   #9
oldbittercraig
Elminster

strength requirements on bows indicate the strength needed to draw the bow... which equates to more damage when the arrow hits home. At least in PnP DnD.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
deathknight
Drow Warrior

skunk I never experienced what you said about getting worse and worse at pick pocketing. Maybe the targets got harder and harder to pick pocket? If you really wanna steal just keep pumping more into it and ALWAYS use a potion of master thievery. If you do this you can still like CRAZY. First thing you steal is a potion of master thievery and you don't have to worry about wasting them. Even into ToB I was stealing like mad with no problems. In fact it started taking the fun out of it in some ways cuz I was literally taking every item a shopkeeper had...