Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5686618/
Now this is sad. Senator James McGreevey resigned today, he was the NJ governor if any of you didn't know. Mainly, he admitted he was gay, and he didn't wanted to be criticized by public and such, or at least that is what I get out of it. It truly is a shame that in today's society, decent political figures have to drop out of office just because of a simple thing such as sexuality.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

That is a shame. But what did you expect after the Clinton scandal? Perhaps it's more the issue that he was hiding something. Pretending to be what he was not. Not great for trust. Like saying he was single when really he was married, or saying he was married when really he was single, or saying he was gay when really he was straight. Why was he not upfront about it before?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

True, but this was originally told because other people were speculating and creating false stories, so he decided to tell the truth. And you can't really be a politician and say your life's story without being ridiculed for it. I mean I'm sure if anyone were gay and in a political position, announcing it is political suicide because for the most part, you will be rejected by fellow politicians and everyday people simply because of your sexuality. I'd like to keep that fact under wraps because no one can be honest without getting the axe, and its a damn shame, especially with decent people.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Djinn Raffo
Ra

He was also closely linked to several corruption scandals which I believe was the real reason he resigned.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
He was also closely linked to several corruption scandals which I believe was the real reason he resigned.
Exactly!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
True, but this was originally told because other people were speculating and creating false stories, so he decided to tell the truth. And you can't really be a politician and say your life's story without being ridiculed for it. I mean I'm sure if anyone were gay and in a political position, announcing it is political suicide because for the most part, you will be rejected by fellow politicians and everyday people simply because of your sexuality. I'd like to keep that fact under wraps because no one can be honest without getting the axe, and its a damn shame, especially with decent people.
But why should he hide his sexuality? That is a problem. Voters have a right to know what they're getting. It reeks of populism and manipulation if you deliberately conceal aspects of who you are to garner votes. Does nothing for gay rights or public acceptance of it either. Why not stand as an openly gay man? Is gaining power more important than proclaiming to the world you are embarressed of your sexuality?

The more I think about it the wierder it gets. Like with Clinton. He should have just come clean and fessed up about the affair and it wouldn't have been a big deal. The issue was his lying, not his sexual issues. Surely.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Ah.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

No, you've all got this wrong.

The person with whom he was having an affair worked in the state's Homeland Security office and the governor was about to get hit with a sexual harassment lawsuit by this person. It's all over the news.

There are also another rumor that I've heard, but I'll forego posting it as it hasn't been reported by any mainstream media outlets yet.

As for being able to serve as a publicly gay man, it's entirely possible. Barney Frank, is a House Rep from Massachusetts and has been openly gay for well over a decade and continues to be re-elected.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Magness is right. He resigned to prevent a bigger problem from the wrong choices he made...
from what I gather from reading the news.

Quote:
“Shamefully, I engaged in adult consensual affairs with another man, which violates my bonds of matrimony,” said McGreevey, 47, the married father of two. “It was wrong. It was foolish. It was inexcusable.”

McGreevey said his secret — both his sexuality and his affair — left the governor’s office vulnerable. “I am removing these threats by telling you about my sexuality,” he said.

Specter of lawsuit
WABC-TV of New York reported that McGreevey was expecting a lawsuit by a former aide accusing him of sexual harassment.
[ 08-12-2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

*nods* I hadn't heard about the sexual harrassment, I had heard his former "very close" friend was trying to blackmail him, and he came out to kill any chance the guy had of succeeding in his blackmail, a nice stance for a politicion for a change if it's true.