Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-16-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
jeff123
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello! My aerie is due for a level up. However the level up is asking where to put weapon proficiencies. Where should I put it? I just want to make the right decision.

My kensai is also going to level up but I dont know where to put his proficiencies too. Katanas have been maxed. Also I'm adding proficiencies on two hand weapon sumthing. Its in the bottom and is supposed to give less penalties for using to weapons. I have a katana on each hand.

I also have failed to use the kai ability. Is this used with the katana? Thanks a lot everyone. Am making slow but contnuous progress here. Hope to learn how to play more efficiently. Why a re their monks paladin etc. I still dont have these characters. When do I get to meet them or does the cleric become a monk at high levels? Thanks!

jeff123

jeff123
jeff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Aeiries weapons proficiencies are of very low importance. Avariel dont make good fighters at the best of times - low CON - but Aerie seems to take this to extremes with far to few HP to be worthwhile.

So stick them in slings, which are about the ony weapons shell use with any regularity. After thats maxed, I would go with staffs - staffs are after all the traditional mage accessory. Two-handed weapon style will make the most of the staff, which wont be much.

Kensai profs: Katanas are good. Very good. Dual weilding high-class katanas with maxed katana and two-weapon style will be very scary.

Two handed weapon style is different and is used for the two-handed swords and quarterstaff, so dont give it to a kensai.

The kai ability I dont know about, but I think it works with all weapons. If I could rememebr what it actualy did, I could be more definite.

The classes - there are no monk NPCs, you have to create your own. The only paladin NPC is keldorn, found during the temple quest. Neither class is neccesary however - I have never actualy used a paladin, and never had a monk in a party (they rock to much in solo play to be worth it)
Old 03-16-2002, 07:50 PM   #3
fable
Quintesson

The kai ability is totally separate from any weapon. It's just as it says, an ability: so you need to click on the abilities button on your character screen's bottom row. Then choose the kai ability. That's it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I'd go for longswords, simply because there are so many different ones adapted to different circumstances. That's why, in playing through repeatedly, I've never gone with the katana. There's only one really exceptional one in SoA, and there are a variety of very fine longswords. When you add on ToB, the number of great longswords really stretches.

As for Aerie, I'd also suggest a combination of slings and staves. Keep her far away from the battle--unlike a true cleric, she's fragile and lacks basic armor defenses. True, she can conjure up some very nice defenses, but those then take the place of other spells she could be memorizing, and casting in battle.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 10:58 PM   #4
koconnor100
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff123:
Hello! My aerie is due for a level up. However the level up is asking where to put weapon proficiencies. Where should I put it? I just want to make the right decision.
Aerie is a spell casting machine.
Her weapons are irrelevant. Slings and staves and maces are her only real option as a mage/cleric, but they're piss poor options at that, since she can only get 1pt in each.
Give her whatever she doesn't have and ferget it , it's not important. Concentrate on her spells.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:06 AM   #5
jeff123
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So all of you think I should place my abilities in Longsword??? What about armor? What special armor could he use? He couldn't wear most of them anyway so it has to be lightweight.

When I click the kai ability the weapons change to a fist. Is this the weapon?

Thanks all.

jeff123
jeff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 06:24 AM   #6
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

Don't put Staves on Aerie... you can put a buckler or Small Shield on her and she becomes more powerful. There is a Small Shield in the game, called the Shield of Harmony, that I give to her every time. It protects against some very good things, making it so you never have to be short a mage because of confusion or something, IIRC. You get the Armor Class Bonus too. Give her a Mace and a Sling, IMHO, because she needs to be a distance caster, hence the sling, and IIRC there are also some decent maces, if that's what you have to use.

***Unless*** You want to have her use the Staff of the Magi or something, then go with that. honestly I play mages a lot, or always have another mage, so I don't give it to her. (Someone more powerful can do more with it)

[ 03-17-2002, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Dakkon Darkblade ]