Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2001, 09:26 PM   #61
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
diogenes of pumpkintown is the voice of reason and i vote he/she/it should be ruler of the world.
Diogenes is the most sensible man I have ever not met! And I agree with you! But no-one would listen to him. When people are angry or wounded they rarely listen to the voice of reason.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 09:32 PM   #62
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
you have more faith in the wisdom of my gov't and its leaders than I do.
Perhaps. I have faith in my God. I could die tomorrow and yet I'm not afraid. My days, if they do end, will not be ones held ransom by fear and trepidation. While there is life there is hope. While there is peace there is hope (however slim) of resolution.

You can count on this. The biggest thing that will lose the opperations support at home is loss of American lives. The biggest thing that will breakup support for the USA and create pan-Islamic oppositon is indescriminate mass killings in the poorest nation on earth.

There is an opposition force in the North opposed to the Taliban. There is opposition in Kabul. There is no telling yet what will happen, but of this I am certain:

Worrying about the outcome will change nothing

Salut Diogenes. Be safe and well. God bless you and your family and shield you from physical, spiritual and emotional harm no matter what happens.

*hug*

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-23-2001).]
Old 09-23-2001, 09:37 PM   #63
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Diogenes is the most sensible man I have ever not met! And I agree with you! But no-one would listen to him. When people are angry or wounded they rarely listen to the voice of reason.

Great timing Fjlotsdale. Yet again you fail to see that listening to someone and agreeing with them are two entirely different things. One can hear every word and still believe the opposite, yet you refuse to accept this. If one disagrees with you, they haven't heard you. This is extreme intolerance Fjlotsdale and belittles those that discuss with you.

Have you even read all this thread? Dio had made assumptions without key information that I for one had days ago and was able to reflect on.

You may be listening, but you're not reading.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 09:47 PM   #64
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The_ Fur_Cough:

There has already been military action. According to BBC radio reports this morning (GMT) SAS troops have been in firefights with the Taliban. Incidentally, the Taliban aren't strictly (or at least haven't been proven to be ) the enemy per se and in their war with Russia they were aided and abbetted by the SAS, this time they are up against them. I do feel a little sorry for them, this won't be like the affair with Russia.

Actually it was the Mujahadeen who fought the Russians with US aid. The Taliban were a group of students from the mountains who arose after the Soviets left.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 09:48 PM   #65
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:

Good point, He would lose alot of "face" at home if the polls indicate anything.
The voters at home are what counts to any elected official. And the current polls indicate a substanial degree of tolerance for U.S. casualties , Now if or when these causalties actually start happening, all that might change.

Exactly.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-23-2001).]
Old 09-23-2001, 09:50 PM   #66
The_ Fur_Cough
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Granted, I recognised my error but couldn't be arsed to correct it.

------------------
Aaahh.... Fur Cough.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:53 PM   #67
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The_ Fur_Cough:
Granted, I recognised my error but couldn't be arsed to correct it.

Fair enough I guess I'll go fur cough then.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 09:58 PM   #68
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Great timing Fjlotsdale. Yet again you fail to see that listening to someone and agreeing with them are two entirely different things. One can hear every word and still believe the opposite, yet you refuse to accept this. If one disagrees with you, they haven't heard you. This is extreme intolerance Fjlotsdale and belittles those that discuss with you.

Have you even read all this thread? Dio had made assumptions without key information that I for one had days ago and was able to reflect on.

You may be listening, but you're not reading.

I HAVE read the whole thread, actually, Yorick! And I was using the word 'listen' perfectly correctly. But it is, as you say, perfectly possible to listen without agreeing. I often 'listen' to what people say without agreeing.

To 'listen' means to hear the words and UNDERSTAND, whether one agrees or not.

BUT angry or hurt people do not 'listen' and 'understand' because they cannot, at that time. Oh, their HEADS may understand, but not their hearts, not their feelings. I have often understood with my head that something is correct/incorrect, but my feelings, my heart went absolutely contrary to what my head said! I'm sure you have been in that state too!

Don't jump to conclusions about what I mean so quickly, my touchy friend!
And calling me intolerant is something I will not tolerate, lol!

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 10:06 PM   #69
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Yorick, all I can say is that your statements have been the most level headed and intelligent statements that I have heard concerning this entire affair. I thank you for speaking the words that my hot headedness would never allow.

I salute you my friend, and thank you!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 09-23-2001, 10:30 PM   #70
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Just an addition of information for any who have not been glued to the latest developements.

The U.S. is definately not waging war on ALL of Afghanistan, only the Taliban. (I would recommend that anyone who is not educated on this so-called government to read up on it as you may have a different opinion about them being INNOCENT)

This could probably still be avoided if they would just give up bin Laden, his Leutenants, shut down terrorist bases, and allow the U.S. access to them to make sure they are no longer operating. (Let's all hold our breath!)

The Northern Alliance is practically BEGGING for us to come in. Today they allegedly took out 80 Taliban radicals by themselves.

As of late only two countries even recognize the Taliban as a legitiment governing body. (Please forgive me if I'm wrong on wich two but I believe they are Pakistan and Iraq)

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)