Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
scaryogre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi,

I've read through many of the tech tips here and am still having problems. I am hopeful someone can help me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I can load the game just fine and things seem to work right. However, at a random point when I am moving the mouse I get a black screen. Usually happens after a minute or so. Suddenly everything onscreen is black except for maybe one or two little patches of game graphic. I can even still see the hand icon, just not the rest of the game graphics. If I move the hand icon around the screen I can "reveal" other parts of the game graphics as the icon moves over the screen if that makes sense. The black disappears and the game graphic returns, but it doesn't work for all areas of the screen.

I do get an error from deep6.exe:

"The instruction at 004243c3 referenced memory at 02882b10. The memory could not be written."

My system specs are:

Alienware Aurora - Cyborg Green
AMD FX-53 | Asus A8V | 2GB XMS Corsair | PNY GeForce 6800 GT | Audigy 2ZS | Seagate 160GB 7200.7 SATA x2 in RAID1 | Plextor 712A DVD-RW | Lite-On DVD-ROM/CD-RW | Logitech Z-680s | Nothing Overclocked

Things I've tried:

1. This is a brand new installation of Wizards and Warriors (haven't played game in a few years and never did finish it which is why I'm hoping to get this working!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

2. I installed the Indeo codecs I found listed on this site (which took care of the game not starting at all).

3. I installed the patch.

4. I'm running in software mode (should I try D3D mode?)

5. I'm running the shortcut in Win95/98 compatibility mode.

This definitely appears to be an odd video problem, but the error I get is memory related. I see others here have had similar memory errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
livinglibrary1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

when the blackenning of the screen happens go to the inventory screen and exit from it. i have the same problem but when i do as i have told you the blackening dissapears completely
livinglibrary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
scaryogre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do I get to the inventory screen if I can't see the page? Do you mean by hotkey?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You can get to the inventory screen by moving the mouse to the right-hand side, where the character portraits should be. Then right-click over there, and it should open someone up. I've had that happen to me before, but not with the deep6 error issue.

Have you done the memory-related things on the tech tips thread? Specifically, making sure your virtual memory is fixed and adequate, and making sure that close to nothing else is running? Those are two of the biggest issues I've run in to.

Give that a shot and let's see what happens

*edit* Oh, and one more thing. Make sure you've got the win98 compatibility flag set on the executable. That makes a difference as well [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
scaryogre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
You can get to the inventory screen by moving the mouse to the right-hand side, where the character portraits should be. Then right-click over there, and it should open someone up. I've had that happen to me before, but not with the deep6 error issue.
OK, that seemed to recover it. I believe the reason I got the deep6 error is because before I had to CTL-ALT-DEL out of game because I couldn't see anything and that's when it happened.

Any idea on what causes the black screen and is there a solution? Or is it just a side-effect of playing an old game? I did have quite a bit running in the background...anti-virus, messenger, and some other stuff. I do have Win98 checked in the compatibility settings.

Thanks for the info! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-10-2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: scaryogre ]
Old 05-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I have never run into any issues from that black screen stuff. I just go in, come back out, and keep on playing. AFAICT, it's just an issue with an old game on a new OS.

I do leave my antivirus and firewall running when I play, but I turn off everything else. Messenger in particular is bad -- if it pops up to tell you someone left you a message in the middle of a game, you'll have to restart the game to get the display to work properly again.

You're welcome! Now get out there and kill something
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote