Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 08:46 AM   #1
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Pondered about this for a long time, when I was playing an armored knight (Inquisitor with -18 AC), I still got hit a lot when I was fighting the new and improved monsters in the Tactics Mod. For instance

SPOILER
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

The Wraith Sarevok and Sword of Greed in the Improved Irenicus Encounter, seemed to connect with every single bloody hit, but how is it possible that a pure fighter like him could drop to -15 to -20 area? He also seemed to have wicked AC, since I had severe trouble hitting him even with a THAC0 of -11. Now I think most other tough monsters also had their THAC0 and AC improved, Demogorgon is supposed to have -6 AC and -12 THAC0 (or was it the other way around?), the very same Inquisitor couldn't for the life of him avoid the demon's blows or score many hits of his own (and this WAS after dispelling his protections). Also, when enemies cast Mordekainen's sword, they seem to have far better THAC0 than the measly 10 described in the Spell reference chart site. A lot of my fighters with below -10 AC have been quite easy targets for them, when they should in fact only hit on criticals.

[ 12-26-2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 12-26-2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Alson
Galvatron

The Wraith of Wrath is a melee monster. With AC < -20, THAC0 < -10 and permanent immunity to Magic, you'll need to think before you go and bash it.
Sniping it with missile weapons worked well for me. Critical Strike was made for this kind of monsters.

Mordekainen's Swords do have a THAC0 of 10. My guess is that because they start as shimmering, they get the Invisibility bonus to attack rolls, thus having easier time to hit your Fighters.

In general, though, i also noticed the change in the enemies' abilities. But hey, we wanted them improved, right?! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The Wraith dies miserably against your Mordenkainen's Swords.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:10 PM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

Really? I seem to recall seeing my Mordies die miserably to the Wraith's STR Drain... They'll need a Critical Hit, too.

Then again, Odin Magnus probably cheesed in so many Mordies that the Wraith could only pray to kill them all. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Yes I noticed that Mordies worked nice vs the Wraith when I did Improved Irenicus with a party, didn't really harm him much, but they were excellent tanks. Those aren't really an option for a solo Inquisitor

The Wraith has less than -20 AC?! Yikes, would need a Kensai to hit him regularly! My PC archer in the aforementioned group had -23 THAC0, but for a fighter to attain that kind of accuracy.... The one thing that really puts you at a severe disadvantage when trying to actually tank the Wraith yourself though, is his bloody strength drain. After just a few hits he will totally have crippled your damage and THAC0, imagining going from 25 to 9 in a matter of a few rounds
Old 12-27-2002, 12:07 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

An Inquisitor can go range too, as my Cavalier will gladly tell you.

Azuredge +3.

Utilising this weapon, I managed to defeat a particular improved Boss in ToB by running in circles around his camp and pinching him with this weapon.

1-2 damage, 1-2 damage, Critical Hit 2-4 damage, 1-2 damage, ~~... ...

Your Inquisitor can try the same thing against the Wraith.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:28 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Well, Improved Irenicus is designed for balanced parties...

However, as Dundee can testify, soloers can beat him.
Until Weimer gave him Invisibility Detection By Script, that is.

Don't you have Critical Strike, Rataxes? That should finish him off quite easily... Summon a Deva to distract the other fragments while you're in there.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:47 PM   #8
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmm, I think you're overestimating the powers of a Deva [img]smile.gif[/img] He died in about 5 seconds when faced against the dragon, beholder and Irenicus, Sarevok was still not even badly injured when I became the target of every hostile creature in the area [img]smile.gif[/img]

But anyway, this was all a fairly long time ago, doubt this Inquisitor still exists. But it would be useful to know for future solo characters, I'm quite intent on beating him with a soloist some day, perhaps with the, yet again, new Ranger/Cleric I started yesterday.

So I take it the foes in the old version of Improved Irenicus could not see the invisible? Would've been a field day for an Assassin then
Old 12-27-2002, 06:53 PM   #9
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
Hmmm, I think you're overestimating the powers of a Deva [img]smile.gif[/img] He died in about 5 seconds when faced against the dragon, beholder and Irenicus, Sarevok was still not even badly injured when I became the target of every hostile creature in the area [img]smile.gif[/img]
Note that i only said distract. Every single second counts, here.

Quote:
But anyway, this was all a fairly long time ago, doubt this Inquisitor still exists. But it would be useful to know for future solo characters, I'm quite intent on beating him with a soloist some day, perhaps with the, yet again, new Ranger/Cleric I started yesterday.
Should be quite possible with a Ranger/Cleric.
The Flail of Ages have a tendency of making thing much easier.

Quote:
So I take it the foes in the old version of Improved Irenicus could not see the invisible? Would've been a field day for an Assassin then
Don't know about the other Fragments, but i know the older version's third Irenicus couldn't see through Invisibility.

Any progress with the Dwarven Fighter/Thief?

[ 12-27-2002, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]