Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
dragon2005
The Magister

Smiley

all of you hard w&w gamers that played the game more then ones and went in to all places and killed all of the monsters, and all you new players thet are in the middel of the game as i writh, all of ever wondered

WHY THE HELL THERE ARE SO MANY USLESS SPELLS?

like for example the dazel spell, who ever did that on a monster even in the low level fights. o yes here is a bet lets dazel him for a moment and see what hapen, or yes lets put thes UNDEAD skeleton to sleep i think he really mised his last one(???).
and when you really need this spells on a powerfull monster it never works .

even the high level spells for example the blood beath, o yes lets throgh our blood at the enemy and then he will run away(???). i dont see any purpes of doing that spell , why hurt some monster with blood beath when you have ather stronger spells.

i am not saying that the ather spells are usless but come on you can get all the 7 level spells whene your charictor is at level 10 and it is probbly in the surpent temple.
and when you have the fire storm or the metor shower what else do you need?

o.k so incingrat is preaty good and the magma boom is graet but you dont really use it after you get such a powerfull spell like fire storm.

and there are an ather spells like: call of home, creat portal,teleport,vanish,hell,great heal,healing realm,ressuract and reburth that you must have so you can play faster and not lose the game, but still who did the exorisem spell or the dust to dust spell, by the time you get these spell there are no more hard undead( the vampiars does not count as undead in the game) so even this spell you dont use.

and the blees spell , the vane of life, the merlin shild, and so mach more proteting spell are preaty usless.

in the mone craft, the only one you use are the 6 level and the 7 level spells,and some time in silent if you are in reall truble(man traps!!!) .

in the vine craft you use only cure and cure poisen, who will thrgh a stink boom on a troll, a troll??? or who will try to poisen the enemy it is not the same effect as when you get poisend and it really hurt.

in the stone craft the only usefull spells are lightning ,metor,zap(for the low charictors),metor shwer and lava walk when there is lave (only 2 places in the whole game).

in the sun craft there are more usefull spells for the firest level charictors and the high level charictors(in the beginng burn for level 1 charictor and in the end fire storm).

in the "evil" craft the only spells you use are: summan demon, mabey life stelar, and word of death, that is it.
who will want to turn hes blood to gold? like o yes my blood is worth thes 50 gold it is more then what you get when you doneat blood.
and mabey if it was not for good (the lose of hp) it will be o.k, but it is for ever!!!, o.k some will say that you can now cheat and creat charictors in the inn and turn there blood to gold for your party, but really i hured beter ways to win free cash.

the finall craft: the speart craft the only craft that is really usefull in almoset all of the spells , thes is the must have craft (i did not see any one who started a game with out thes craft unless it is just to see how long can they serviv in the out doors)and you have to use it a lot and i mean a lot in the game .
you can kill monsters with out the ather crafts,but you cant win in the sereas battels without the sperat craft.

so for my last words on the subject i wanted you all to know that if it is the battel for life and death, dont tray fight your way with the spells like dazel or poisen,ot with blees and sheld,use the strongest spells and if not just kick his ass with a sword and an axe.
dragon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yep... we've had a couple of threads on useless spells. Blood to gold is right up there at the top -- all that damage for a paltry 50GP? Come on... at least 10GP per hit point or something to make it useful later on.

I'll blame it on the game needing to be rushed to market before the money ran out. There are more than a few things that aren't really useful, but some of these spells still have a purpose.

Radek and bsftcs often remind me that Merlin's Shield works well against the salads' breath. And Exorcism also cures insanity, a quite helpful thing in many ways. Some people swear by the buff spells (heroism, etc.); I never really noticed much difference, and there's no master "cast this on everyone" option to make my life easier.

There are always four ways to take out an enemy... sword, spear, staff, and spell. Everyone has their favorite... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Yes, a lot of the spells there I never even tried yet. Really wasted lot of my money just to buy all the spell book that the shops offered( Hey! I wanted to have a complete set of spells [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) . And that made me bankrupt. And I didn't even have lots of money to start with. <_<

In my subsequent games, I just get the spell that I use. Thus preserving my money. Though if you look into the spell list it isn't nice. Here missing there missing.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

Dragon, what's the score of useless vs. useful spells in other games? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] I don't think W&W is extraordinary somehow.

The "pretty useless" Merlin's Shield changes your casting strategy completely. At higher Sorcery levels, the spell makes you practically immune to any spell cast on you no matter who has cast it. It turns Cet to a helpless jester with Magma Bombs and Firestorms (you won't lose even a single hitpoint in the combat). You can cast Firestorm in the middle of melle a combat and kill all monsters around in a moment without being hit. My favorite method is Merlin's Shield plus spreading horror around myself by means of Flamestrike - it can cause up to 50 HP damage, which is more than enough for most of monsters.

There are more spells, which are awfully missing on your list of useful spells, for example all artifact spells. Or Frenzy, have you tried casting Frenzy on your people? It turns your fighters into killing machines. Or that useless Heroic Might. Have you tried the spell on a bad fighter? Warlock, for example? Or Negate Magic - the spell is a must against Myrathian Wisps and Wyr Mystics, when they cast Reflect Damage. Or you kill yourself.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
dragon2005
The Magister

well there are many spells i did not write here but i finished the game without usen any of thes franzy spells and the shild spells, i say if i can do it evrey one can do it, and there is not even one fight that it so imortant to fight from close range and you cant walk away for a secand to cast fire storm.

and i undersatnd that you radek know a lot more than i do about thes game , but really were there a fight so hard that you needed to cast the marlin shild or franzy, or even hands of time or reflact damege?

you can kill all the monsters with this strong spells like fire storm, ice storm, metor shwor, death word and the hurrican.

and all the artifacts spells , they are useful but as i sed i did not use them and i had no broblem killen all of the monsters.
my fighters were preaty the same killin machines with out the frenzy spell.

and about the ather games you are right there is no much difrens in the games there are many spells you dont use .
Old 04-26-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

It's about resources and possibilities, Dragon, not about neccessity. You can play the game solo and without equipping a single item. And you need not blunder the end of the game like Tia did because you can cast spells from items in your inventory. Cet can really be killed by the 50 Black Power spells cast from the charged Mavin Sword and Staff of Death.

Does it mean that all items in the game are useless?

No, they are not. You can play without equipping a single item, you can play with heavily enchanted weapons, you can cast spells from behind the Merlin's Shield. It's your choice.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I think most spells have some use at least once during the game. And then there is for example toughen, which has a nice little bug attatched to it.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I don't think I've ever played a game in which there were not some useless (or close to) spells. Even among the useful spells, I tend to have favorites and use those even if there might be a better spells to use.

W&W was rushed to market and many things that had been intended were never completed. I think some of the spells were left over from the original design and might have been more useful (with the exception of Blood to Gold which will never be useful! lol!!).

If you dedicated time and gold to getting all the spells - that could prove disappointing when you learn that they aren't all useful BUT - it did give you a goal within the game and that should have given you some satisfaction.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
dragon2005
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
It's about resources and possibilities, Dragon, not about neccessity. You can play the game solo and without equipping a single item. And you need not blunder the end of the game like Tia did because you can cast spells from items in your inventory. Cet can really be killed by the 50 Black Power spells cast from the charged Mavin Sword and Staff of Death.

Does it mean that all items in the game are useless?

No, they are not. You can play without equipping a single item, you can play with heavily enchanted weapons, you can cast spells from behind the Merlin's Shield. It's your choice.
i think you are right in all your points. it is in the end the way that you play the game that cauntes.

i got all the spells just so my spell book will be comlete and it will be nice looking at.

but what i am saying is that it would have been much more intresting if all the spells were useful in some fights or places.
and i dont need you wyv to tell me again about the rash to market of the game, i understud it in the 11 time you sed it.