Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-09-2001, 06:22 PM   #21
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh, yeah. What about detect evil, and protection from evil. Has anyone found any use of these spells?
Old 02-09-2001, 06:34 PM   #22
Halscion

Interesting. "Lightning bolt sucks -- how do you keep from getting killed by it?" and "Minor Globe of Invulnerability is useless!", sometimes from the same people.

Anyway, use these two in conjunction.

MGoI is also great to turn Fireballs & Skull Traps into Sunfire-like effects -- kill everything around you. With Skull Trap at high level, you have a kick-ass room clearer.

Dispel Magic rocks, BUT you have to cast it from a SINGLE-CLASS spellcaster. The caster's level is *very* important.

Onward to the topic of Spells that I Don't Use:

- Luck
- Chill / Ghoul Touch
- Entangle / Web / Grease
- Silence 15' Radius
- Power Word Sleep
- Burning Hands
- Confusion (esp. 7th level Priest version) / Rigid Thinking
- Charm Person
- Magic Stone
- Cause Wounds
- Creeping Doom
- Aganazar's Scorcher
- Cloak of Fear -- does this spell actually do anything?
- Contagion
- Flesh to Stone -- I want tresure!
- Stinking Cloud
- Reflected Image
- Deafness
- Remove Curse -- how hard is it to avoid removeable curses? I guess if you really want to use that sword ...
- Shadow / Spirit / Armour -- I just use Armour, and then only until I get some decent bracers.

Old 02-09-2001, 07:17 PM   #23
"Hell Lich" Wah

Actually I found that there IS a use for detect evil.

I use it for clearing all the crap out of a place when I'm trying to get those precious experience. It shows me all th enemies that I missed and the ones that are to come!

And another thing!! There IS a use for a goodberry!! edit them so that they heal all your life with just ONE berry!! Wow, now that's what I called a VERY GOOD BERRY!

Old 02-09-2001, 07:26 PM   #24
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ahh, but that's cheating. I try to keep my game as pure as possible.

What good is protection against evil then? I know you should cast this before summoning a pit fiend, but on no other occassion.
Old 02-09-2001, 10:13 PM   #25
bigman

...protection from evil is a great spell...not only does it protect you from fiends and the like but it does give you an AC bonus...the 10' radius version giving everyone a 2 point AC bonus is definitely worth it...AND the duration on this spell is wicked. It seems to last for ages...at least through 2 battles...just my two cents...

Old 02-10-2001, 02:00 AM   #26
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

I mean chromatic orb isn't useless, cast by higher level mage has some extra effects - paralysis, blindness...
Fireball combined with web or entangle is very useful.

I don't use infravision, luck, armor, friends
I am only in chapter 3, I use meantime mostly invasive spells, but later I will have to use defend spells, maybe.
Old 02-10-2001, 02:13 AM   #27
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I'll have to agree with you about good berries. This spell was usefull in BGI, but not much help in BGII. The one thing that I liked about the berries is that they are "free" healing. They don't go away either. So everytime I rested, I would cast it and stack up some of them. You could hold 10 berries in one slot and that made them just about as good as a healing potion. Course, once you got money, they used up inventory slots. That's why I say in BGII that they aren't as usefull. Since you only heal 1hp at a time, they basically just waste up an inventory slot. Money comes pretty quick too. I think that infravision would have been a good spell in some parts of BGII, but since it didn't seem like the game penalized you for not being able to see (humans), it's true. Why learn it?
Old 02-10-2001, 04:45 AM   #28
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Any defensive mage spells I do not use as the computer AI is never clever enough to attack your mages first! So why use up memorization slots for the when you don't really need'em. Now I'm not saying these are 'bad' or 'useless' spells, it's just that the game engine doesn't compell you to actually use them.

Other spells would be monster summoning I and II, any demon summoning spells I don't use that often, friends, luck, vampiric/ghoul touch and a lot of the low level cleric spells.

And probably a lot more...
Old 02-10-2001, 03:49 PM   #29
SLAPPYtheDROPOUT

Chromatic orb useless??? Christ, no way! Greater Malison/Chromatic Orb combo is easily one of teh best in the game. I play 5 casters in my party (my guy's a fighter/mage/cleric, so maybe 6) and my alltime favorite thing to do is cast an insect plague, 2 dooms, a greater malison, and 1 magic missile to interrupt their mage's casting followed up by 3 chromatic orbs and 2 hold persons (There is ONE good level 2 cleric spell) Chromatic orb's highest level effect is save vs. spells or they DIE. With the Malison and Doom on someone, they've got about a 1 out of 2 chance at saving, and everybody else is held cuz they fail their throw cuz of the malison. Meanwhile Korgan's chopping all these immobile enemies into little bitsy pieces. Doesn't work against dragons and such, but against just about any group of demihumans it's beautiful.

Another thing, I made my character to take advantage of the mage melee spells like Vampiric Touch. Cone of Cold falls under the same category. Basically, their problem is their long casting time. You need an exceptionally low armor class (bracers AC3 Sentinel Shield 18 dex and ring of protect +2) so your spellcasting's not interrupted, too. Use items that decrease casting time, and a fighter/mage gets real, real mean in melee. The melee spells are far from useless, they're just hard to use. Between stoneskin's instantaneous casting time, Contingency, three memorized stoneskins and a really low armor class, you can melee until you lose enough hps to make Vampiric Touch worthwhile, melee, touch, melee, touch. Cone of Cold's only good in dungeons. Have the fightermage and a fighter bottle up a corridor, start Coning once the fighters close, have all the mages casting Chain Lightning and the priests locking down mages (Insect Swarm and Hold Person), and ALL your enemies take 60 damage a round, conservatively.

Old 02-10-2001, 03:49 PM   #30
hammer

Under the right circumstances, lightning bolt & wands of lightning can be spectacular. Haven't used them much in BGII yet, as I haven't got that far, but in Icewind Dale I saved up a couple wands, spells & scrolls of lightning attack, as well as some potions & scrolls of lightning protection. I protected my fighter/thief & mage 100% from lightning, one with boots o' speed, the other quaffed a potion o' speed, hid in shadows, the thief spotted the enemy while the mage let loose with a devestating lightning barrage... cleared practically a whole level this way, most of my party safely tucked away in a niche as lighting richocheted off the walls, killing most stuff before I even saw it.