Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-25-2000, 07:51 PM   #1
Herrx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How long did it take you to complete the game with or without the sidequest? The game promised 200 hours of gameplay. It this true or not?

What did you think of the villian Lord Cet. Was he cool looking?

What did you think about the games story?

Do you think Wizardry 8 will be better?

Please answer these three simple questions!!
Old 10-25-2000, 10:02 PM   #2
analander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Those aren't simple questions.

1. I would estimate about 100 hours (based on 20 days x 5 hours a day on average). The 200 hours promise is from early in the game's development - I've read 120 hours and 100 hours as the game moved towards release. I completed all of the quests that I could (I didn't get the Grunaxe quest because I had already visited him, ditto with killing the snakeman assassin and possibly others). A few of those 100 hours were dealing with quest bugs and the like - for example, one particularly long quest (mahma big, I believe) I recall took about 30 minutes for all my characters to receive - and related save-game backtracking. You could take more or less time depending on how you play the game, especially considering the cheating vulnerabilities (I only used the infinite gold one and retribution for guild levels that I should have received anyway, but you can for example apparently use the Vanish spell to skip the Temple of Isis altogether).

2. He reminded me of the giant devil skull used as the main stage prop in Spinal Tap. Also a bit of a disappointment in final combat - the mama crab was about as much exp - but you just can't get big army-sized fights with an action-oriented 3D combat system, yet.

3. Not bad. I'm a fan of both Myst type games and Diablo type games, although combining them took some getting used to. I became really frustrated for example in skull castle having to stop and fight while in the midst of the four-way bridge switches puzzle, and having to play with the spawning frequency felt kinda cheap. The quests and everything were good, although their party-based nature needed some better interface. I liked some of the richer NPC personalities such as the Lich. Too bad the shopkeepers couldn't even talk with audio, though.

4. Beats me.

- John
http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/
Old 10-25-2000, 11:03 PM   #3
Pain

Right now I don't much care how cool Lord Cet may have looked. The guy was a wimp, number one, he only hit me for a total of about 20 points damage through the whole long, drawn out fight.

What p***ed me off was that the only thing that will hurt him is the Mavin sword. Now you can enhance the Mavin in that last little run down to Cet, and you can pass it between your party members. How cheesy is that? "Here, Bob, take the sword, it's your turn to hit this big ugly creep" while Cet is chuckling evilly and booming "I WILL DESTROY YOU!". He was a bit too full of himself, I think.

The real problem is that, throughout this whole game, if you don't do quests in the expected order you are SCREWED. Meet the quest NPC before you get the quest, and you cannot get credit for it. Don't get the last Tome and destroy the lich's heart in Cet's tomb? You're screwed -- you can go back to the dungeon but there is a teleport trap at the exit and you can never get out!

The game's story is cardboard-cutout RPG. "Get the magic sword to slay the ancient Dark One and save the world". Like John says, the only villain in the whole story who had character was G'Essred'Ra. I felt great pity for him when I finally put him out of his misery. Cet could have come from a Hollywood casting call for Superpowerful Ugly Bad Guys. And hey, whatever happened to Gareth back in Valeia? Did the Snakemen eat him for lunch? We never find out!

I know little about Wiz8 at this point. I think I'll pass on it and wait for Arcanum and Neverwinter Nights. I'm ready for something beside Cardboard Cutout RPGs. I'm ready for anything but more W&W.

Painbringer

Old 10-26-2000, 01:57 AM   #4
Herrx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Please give me some more answers!!