Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: [WotLK] Anyone thought of what build you will be in WotLK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
No my young grasshopper.

It's called burst damage. or rather a mini one. The extra sword swing that sword specialization gives you. It can crit and it ignore resilience. That's why I say you forgot to put points into a weapon specialization.
I've tried that in beta though and checked my recount. My pvp dps is worse with 5 point sword spec. You have a 1% chance for an extra swing and a 25% (say as an average for sword spec unbuffed) chance to crit on a melee hit. That's basically a 0.25% chance to crit. Worth 5 points? Don't think so. You can get better for Unfair Advantage, which for 2 pts gives you 100% chance to strike with your MH whenever you dodge (and if you have a dodge rating of 25% average it means you basically get an extra hit 25% of the time your opponent tries to hit you.

I would def spec Sword Spec if I was raiding where I was hitting on the same target for a long time because it's worth it for the sustained DPS. But it's too sporadic to be a reliable burst. Not worth the 5 points IMHO. Particularly now that everyone's dps has been buffed by these new talents, fights last much shorter, resilience or no resilience, because everyone hits harder.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
I've tried that in beta though and checked my recount. My pvp dps is worse with 5 point sword spec. You have a 1% chance for an extra swing and a 25% (say as an average for sword spec unbuffed) chance to crit on a melee hit. That's basically a 0.25% chance to crit. Worth 5 points? Don't think so. You can get better for Unfair Advantage, which for 2 pts gives you 100% chance to strike with your MH whenever you dodge (and if you have a dodge rating of 25% average it means you basically get an extra hit 25% of the time your opponent tries to hit you.

I would def spec Sword Spec if I was raiding where I was hitting on the same target for a long time because it's worth it for the sustained DPS. But it's too sporadic to be a reliable burst. Not worth the 5 points IMHO. Particularly now that everyone's dps has been buffed by these new talents, fights last much shorter, resilience or no resilience, because everyone hits harder.
Did you test it for level 80 or for level 70? Currently all the talents are for level 80 and that's why everything is imbalance at the moment.

Come wotlk everything will change when at level 80. Meanwhile my judgement for a weapon specialization is still the same.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Did you test it for level 80 or for level 70? Currently all the talents are for level 80 and that's why everything is imbalance at the moment.

Come wotlk everything will change when at level 80. Meanwhile my judgement for a weapon specialization is still the same.
I'm only up to level 75 in the beta - it's bloody hard work mate, they made it take like forever to level from 70-80 to force everyone to see everything in Northrend. I tested it at 70 and again at 74 I think.

You're entitled to your opinion, we all have one mate . But I don't think it will be of much use in PvP as everything goes so quick. Check your recount and see for yourself, it doesn't proc enough to be worthwhile IMO.

Last edited by Memnoch; 10-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
I'm only up to level 75 in the beta - it's bloody hard work mate, they made it take like forever to level from 70-80 to force everyone to see everything in Northrend. I tested it at 70 and again at 74 I think.

You're entitled to your opinion, we all have one mate. But I don't think it will be of much use in PvP as everything goes so quick.
You posted before I can edit it.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0xZMxqbMbxVMu0gRtx

I've check and this is what I could come up with, it got the weapon specialization plus the unfair advantage.

That is of course, if I choose to pvp now rather than when wotlk and at lv80.

Last edited by Kakero; 10-16-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Why is this even a point of debate? As far as PvP is concerned, the math does not add up for sword spec. Low modular % buffs mean very little in the heat of PvP (read: the dodging, strafing, running, jumping heat of PvP) unless they are CC's.

The chances of it proccing and your target staying still long enough for that % to even kick in, are so slim that it would rarely see any use in the battlefield. And since it requires a full 5 points to even bring it up to 5%, it's not worth it. To me, things like this have always been a no-brainer as far as PvP goes. Why get a low % and very circumstantial mod to your swing when you could invest those points into something more consistent and/or reliable?

Again, raids are a different story, since you got a tank turning it around for you and can just hack away. Then you would see your full 5% since your target is being lined up for you by the raid every time.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #16
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

/facepalm

fist/dagger spec - 5% crit. mitigated by resilience

sword spec - chance to extra hit proc, can crit and ignore resilience.

mace spec - don't care. never like mace.

In pvp sword spec > fist/dagger spec

~ Now, why should we take the spec.

It counts for your extra burst. Since the burst we have from combat is evicerate or envenom. However this 2 is mitigated by resilience. Hence every help we get from sword spec helps.

~ 5% isn't much you idiot!

As I said, every bit of burst helps. And I've shown how to spec for sword spec and still can put points into your wanted talents.

Mem said his dps is very low. Perhaps his gears effect his performance. I don't know what gears he is wearing for pvp. Perhaps he was fighting with S4 people or perhaps something else. I don't know. However, how long did he test the spec on and for how many matches?

Also, If i go pvp now. my dps will be low. Why? I have very little pvp gears which mean super low resilience. If I go pvp now also no use. I will die very easy. Hence if I show my result. my dps will be low with or without the sword spec.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I understand your logic, but I still feel the same. I am not saying 5% isn't much (it isn't - but it's not horrid). I am calculating that because of the natural chaos which is PvP, you would not in fact even see this ability proc for its advertised 5% of the time. Rather, about 1%. So, in reality it would be about 5 points spent for 1%...maybe 2. If it cost me 1 point to get the full 5% then I would, but never would I spend 5. This is strictly from a hardcore PvP point of view.

Again from a purely PvP point of view, looking with a glance at the trees you posted, I personally would empty out my 5 points and jump briefly over to the Assassination tree, substituting Improved Evis. in place of SS (3 points invested into it, resulting in a guaranteed damage increase of 20% to base Evisc. which is a rogue's main finisher and also takes into account top damage of a weapon) Again, this is just glancing at the spec here, but if I really wanted a modular talent i'd use my other 2 points to take Remorseless attacks since it can add a 40%mod. Still, this one is quite circumstantial too and wouldn't see as much use as it would in PvE, where one mob after another is being killed and probably wouldn't be useful in 2v2 arena scenarious but could prove fun in say, WSG or EotS. But this is only if I had to choose between modular skills.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #18
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

What do you reckon of this mutilate build?
http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?rogu...00000000000000

The 51 point talents are just useless for some classes, hunger for blood just does not look appealing to me, it did before though..

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #19
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Pvp or pve?

This is for pve.

Hunger for blood is 9% increase damage done. Use it when you first start the encounter. Remember to stack it to 3 times always.

You do know that you need improve poisons and vile poisons for mutilate build right? And blizzard had buffed up poisons now. Poison will be doing 17% of your damage.

Use envenom instead of eviscerate to refresh your snd cycle.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?rogu...00000000000000

Murder is just a filler, you can use the points for some other things.

Last edited by Kakero; 10-19-2008 at 06:59 AM.