Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Got to thinking about when I used to take the Subway to work, did it for 8 years. Had a lot of odd experiences, and was wondering if anyone else has any subway (or bus) stories as well. If so, could be an entertaining topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have a few obviously:

1. Some conductors you can actually understand what they are saying, and some you just can't if your life depended on it, and then some like to talk in a rhythm like they are DJs LOL.

2. I remember one morning I got to the subway, and there was this blind guy just standing there, looking off into space and looking confused. So I went up to him, and he told me he had never been to this particular subway station before, and did not know how to get the train he needed. Well the one he needed was the same one I took, although I got off to switch trains while he needed to stay on and continue to the end of the line. So here I am finding myself leading him onto the train, and there were no seats left so we had to stand, and the conductor just sucked so bad, you could not understand crap what he was saying. He was such a nice guy too, we chatted quite a lot on the train, he made a lot of blind jokes. I only hope he made it OK to his destination. I still don't think that blind people should be alone re subway trains. A year or two ago one blind guy mistook the empty space between cars as the doorway and was killed.

3. One morning while walking into the entranceway to the subway station, which is this big window-domed bridge that goes over a highway, I saw this black older woman fall down. It was winter and really cold. Before I got to her I saw a good 10 people walk right by her and ignore her. When I got to her this other man was next to me, and he stayed with her while I ran to the help desk and got them to call 911. I went back and we both stayed with her until the ambulance came. I just never forgot how so many just saw that and ignored.

4. Which brings me to a personal incident which is relatable to No. 3. I don't know what was wrong with me, but one morning, again, on the subway on myw way to work, I started to feel lightheaded. My trip to work consisted of changing trains, and I was waiting for my 2nd one, and reading btw... Stephen King's Misery, at a part where the guy's pain is just described so sharply in detail... Anyways I felt really hot, like 150 frikken degrees, and sweating, ready to pass out! Well there are no chairs or benches near me, so I'm kinda stuck with the floor up against the wall, and I put my head down in between my knees. Not one person out of many around me ever asked me if I was OK. Luckily in a few minutes a came around, and was shakey at first, but eventually fine. Dunno what that was, but I noticed how I was on my own re that though.

5. One morning (seems always to be mornings I'm noticing as I type all this LOL), had approached the entrance to that domed tunnel leading to the subway, and I see this guy coming OUT of the tunnel. He's really staring at me. So I go by him, and then about 20 steps later I look back and he is now walking behind me. Eh? I mean it could be nothing OK, but I thought it kinda odd. So by the time I get to the part where you put your card through the gates, and get to the top of the escalator that takes you down to the platform where the trains are, I see the train is already there!!! So I take the opportunity to run as fast as I can, to try to catch the train, I'm barrelling down the moving escalator, and get on the train just in time, within 3 seconds after I got on I heard the doors shut behind me. Well I see one empty seat so sit in it, and it is one of those seats that face backwards (towards the back end of the train), and... dun dun dunnnn! LOL, there he is! He must have been literally right behind my back when I was running to the train. Creeepy... So I didn't know what to do, I always read on trains so I focused my eyes on my book and thought. What I decided to do was, when my stop finally came, I let everyone else get off and then literally at the last few seconds, I jumped up and darted out the door. Ding Dong! I got out and he didn't! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

6. Sometimes you have to get aggressive in subways. The rules are supposed to be, when a train comes into a station, the people on the train who want to get off should be first, then the others outside of the train can then enter. But those who want to enter do not abide by the rules, and just start bullying in, to make it of course before the time limit ends and the doors close. So it turns into this ClusterFrik. So I would end up having to just be rude and push myself to get outta the dang train before the doors closed and it moved on! One time my duffel bag got caught in the door cause it was so close me getting outta that train. I had the handles in my hand, but the rest of the bag was inside the train! With people eyeing it LOL! I had my purse in there!! I just started yanking the hell out of it. I dunno if the conductor saw me and opened the doors, or if the doors are automatically adjusted to open if some sort of yanking or struggling occurs LOL. Either way, it open and I got my dang bag LOL, whew!

7. Get a lot of people begging for money at the subway. And boy o boy do they focus in on ME. Guess cause I'm small and they think they can intimidate me or something. I remember one afternoon, sitting about with the crowd waiting for the train home, this big guy came around, not speaking, he had one of those cards. I dunno what his said, but probably the same ol' same ol' I'm deaf and I need money or whatever deal. He walked by a good 20 people, all of us were standing kind of in a line side by side, and stopped at me. He took my hand and showed me his card, and rubbed his thumb on the palm of my hand. I got really mad LOL, cause he picked little ME out. Well I had this 6 foot tall big giant guy next to me, and so I was bold OK? I started yelling at him and asking him why he didn't ask everyone else, why he picked me, LOL. He just slithered away, the big guy I heard chuckling above me LOL.

8. On my way home one evening, I had gotten one of those sideways seats near the door, and I'm reading my book, but I can feel this guy in front of me, in the other sideways seat in front of me, staring at me. I just kept focusing on my book and tried to ignore him as much as I could. Well the train stopped at this one stop, and when it did this black guy got up, and as he was leaving the train he took the palm of his hand and bitchslapped the guy's forehead LOL!!!! I guess he must have seen the staring weirdo too LOL. I so loved that guy, whoever he was. He just bitchslapped him and casually walked off the train LOL, and the freako stopped staring too after that LOL. Heeee!!! I'll always remember that probably the most, as not many times in my life I actually had someone defend me. Awwww... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL how little exactly are you LZ? I've never had trouble in the subway/tube/metro/underground but I'm just over 6'3". The only stories involve people trying to avoid buying a ticket and getting caught by the conductors in Budapest.

Oh actually one time I was at a Ferencváros vs Vasas match and on the way back I got in the wagon with all the Ferencváros supporters and all of them were singing and jumping up and down and the whole train was shaking it was a wicked atmosphere and at every station the people standing on the platform were assaulted by a bombardment of plastic drinks bottles thrown through the windows lol
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
There was this one time in rotterdam when i went to the footballstadium. The sub was completely full, people were standing in the walkway, but completely in the back there was this one seat which wasn't taken. There was one old guy sitting, but there was still plenty of room for a second person. So i moved toward that spot, wondering why noone noticed it. When i finally sat down i realised why... the old guy had a scent of fish all over him, and smelled really REALLY bad. He must have been gutting fish all day long and didn't wash afterwards. I remember i had a pretty hard time trying not to throw up for the rest of the ride.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Ladyzekke

I'm 5 foot tall, 96 pounds LOL. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

ROTFL Johnny! I had similar experiences with drunks, i.e., one would sit next to me in the morning and would smell so strongly of alcohol LOL, hard to take a breath no matter how you turned your head and not get a lungful of it. And of course you start wondering, did he drink soem alcohol this morning, or did he drink Sooo much last night he's still tanked up LOL. Either way, I wished em well at their jobs LOL. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I'm 5 foot tall, 96 pounds LOL. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Awwww! Wittle LZ! [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm around a HUNDRED and 96 pounds (no flab mind! ) I just find it funny how people are different lol. Anyway, back on topic...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
This ís another story, not in the sub, but in the train, forgive me.

Once again we were on our way to a footballmatch, i think we were heading to The Hague, but i'm not sure anymore. Anyway, 450-500 guys in a train, a lot of noise, drugs and alcohol, and everything has to be consumed before you reach your destination, because you'll be frisked and noone wants to give up his candy. There was this one guy, who prepared a line of cocaine for himself on one of those small tables, and we was snorting it up, when an old lady entered the compartment. She looked at what the guy was doing, the guy looked up from the table, all white around his nose, and with a big grin on his face he yelled "hey granny...want a hit". Surprisingly the old lady started a whole conversation with the guy. She wanted to know what it was, what it does to you, and if we didn't know that it was unhealthy and stuff. She even accepted a sip from a beer she got offered from another guy. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] usually people stay away as far as possible from a large group of footballfans, but this lady seemed quite amused by the whole thing.

Supergranny.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Lol if we get into trains: here's a funny story, I wasn't there but it happened to my friends and cousins so I heard a first hand account. They were on a train in hungary and had their bikes in the carriage. Then some big guy, like my height got on the train and for no reason picked up their bikes and threw them against the opposite wall. One of my mates, who's short but stocky saw this and he just completely flipped. He got so mad he just started pouring out obsceneties at this guy who was twice his size. Apparently he was all red in the face and looked crazy. The whole carriage full of people was staring while he was swearing for about 2 mins straight or something. The bike thrower guy cacked it and ran off down the train and my mate chased him and spent the next 30 mins looking for the guy, but couldn't find him, so they assumed he'd got so scared he got off at the next stop lol
Old 01-19-2005, 02:28 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

people dont usually mess with me cause i look so harmless i guess hehe. then again, it could be because of gender as well LZ. anyway, be safe!

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
people dont usually mess with me cause i look so harmless i guess hehe. then again, it could be because of gender as well LZ. anyway, be safe!
LOL don't mean to pick on you Hark, but I always find it funny when people say "be safe". I mean it's not like people try to not be safe, like unless you remember to warn them, they'll constantly put themselves in danger. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]