Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-31-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

This thread was originally going to be "What is your soccer dream team?" but I decided since this is an American forum and alot of the users are American and like US sports that it should be open to all sports as most people wouldn't be interested in a soccer dream team. So please tell me what your favorite sport is eg Basketball, baseball etc and what your dream team would be for that sport. I'll start with my soccer dream team comments are welcome...

Gk: Buffon
rb: Contra
lb: Roberto Carlos
cb: Nesta
cb: Chivu
rm: Beckam
cm: Xavi
cm: Zidane
lm: Pires
cf: Van Nistelroy
cf: Raul
Old 01-31-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
LowTech
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
rm: Beckam
The most overrated player in the world, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
And one of the most underrated ones.
A balanced team.

Here we go

Gk: Casillas
rb: Cafú
lb: Roberto Carlos
cb: Helguera
cb: Ayala
rm: Joaquín (ok, i'm a Betis fan, you caught me, but he's very good)
cm: Guardiola
cm: Zidane
lm: Denilson
cf: Vieri

Ok, I'm not very objective but it's MY dream team (and I tried not to choose too many players from Real Madrid, only 5 out of 11)
Old 01-31-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Your team seems like a balanced one also [img]smile.gif[/img]

About Beckam I'm a Man United fan so do the maths...although I thought about Figo for this position admitedly.

Yes Raul is a fantastic player should have one European footballer of the year last time in my opinion.

There's no shame in putting Joaquin in your team I'm a regular watcher of Spanish football and he's a fantastic player(had a good world cup also). I wouldn't have picked Denilson(another Betis player [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) though he can be brilliant but is too inconsistent. Guardiola was a great player but I wouldn't pick him for his abilites in the present day either but overall your team seems pretty good (I notice alot of the players play in the spanish league).
Old 01-31-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
LowTech
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That's why I say I'm not very objective.
Let's try without Spanish league players:

Gk: Kahn
lb: Raul Bravo (new Leeds Utd. player on loan from Real Madrid)
cb: Cannavaro
rm: Van Der Vaart
cm: Ballack
cm: Verón
lm: Nedved
cf: Henry

About Guardiola, he was my favourite player during the 90s and kind of a symbol of Johan Cruyff's football (the best of the best).
Old 01-31-2003, 09:37 PM   #5
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

i hate soccer football ( american ) is soo much better ....
Old 01-31-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
In football there is no such thing as a "dreamteam". On any given day, a team of pros, can lose to a team of amateurs. The British FA cup had lots of those surprises in the past. Anything is possible in football. In Basketball there WAS a dreamteam, but that's history. And i'm not going to name 11 topplayers, cause once you put them all in the same team, you don't have a team anymore, just a bunch of ego's. One of the strongest teams i've ever seen was Ajax in (i think) 1994. They went through the competition undefeated, won the Championsleague, and the worldcup in Tokio. That team came close to perfection, too bad it had to be Ajax though.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

I agree with you with basketball, But i Still think there is a football one PROBOWL....... whatever happened to tennis tho .....
Old 01-31-2003, 10:55 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

here's mine..

GK : Bathez
DR : Cafu
DC : Nesta
DC : Helguera
DL : Roberto Carlos
MR : Figo
MC : Zidane
MC : Viera
ML : Pires
FW : Del Piero
FW : Henry
Old 02-01-2003, 08:09 AM   #9
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
here's mine..

GK : Bathez
DR : Cafu
DC : Nesta
DC : Helguera
DL : Roberto Carlos
MR : Figo
MC : Zidane
MC : Viera
ML : Pires
FW : Del Piero
FW : Henry
Seems like a good team [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Seems like everyone reckons Roberto Carlos is the best left back in the world not a suprise really. I must say I think Helguera is better in a defensive midfield position rather than at center back although he's played well there this season. Also it's good to see someone else pick Pires who I think is a fantastic player even though it pains me to say it what with him being an Arsenal player.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by LowTech:
That's why I say I'm not very objective.
Let's try without Spanish league players:

Gk: Kahn
lb: Raul Bravo (new Leeds Utd. player on loan from Real Madrid)
cb: Cannavaro
rm: Van Der Vaart
cm: Ballack
cm: Verón
lm: Nedved
cf: Henry

About Guardiola, he was my favourite player during the 90s and kind of a symbol of Johan Cruyff's football (the best of the best).
Another strong team. Imagine the strength of Vieri and his finishing skills and the pace of Henry up front .That would be some partnership!

About Raul Bravo doesn't he play for the Spanish National team even though he isn't a first choice at Real Madrid? A bit wierd I would have thought they'd give the position to someone who starts regularly perhaps Romero of Deportivo?

The one nitpick I'd have with this team is that Van Der Vaart is in right midfield. A fantastic young player yes but isn't he left footed?