Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-09-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

(This may show my age a BIT)

Anyone here HATE these Windows Keyboards? you know, the ones with the 3 extra Windows 'hotkeys' near the ALT and CTRL keys?

I am still using an old (But I keep it clean--looks pretty new) Keyboard without those keys.. when I use the 'newer' models with the extra Windows keys, I always hit those when I mean to hit the ALT or CTRL keys. (This keyboard is from 1992)

I know the added keys have been around since 1995, but I hate them.. I will be 'upgrading' mine soon, but MAN.. it'll take some time getting used to it.

Do you guys outside of the USA also have these? I'm sure you do..

Leave it to Micro$oft to force KB makers to do what THEY want..

Maybe I'll rig a Mac KB... oh wait, it has an Apple key, nevermind. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-09-2002, 11:25 AM   #2
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
(This may show my age a BIT)

Anyone here HATE these Windows Keyboards? you know, the ones with the 3 extra Windows 'hotkeys' near the ALT and CTRL keys?

I am still using an old (But I keep it clean--looks pretty new) Keyboard without those keys.. when I use the 'newer' models with the extra Windows keys, I always hit those when I mean to hit the ALT or CTRL keys. (This keyboard is from 1992)

I know the added keys have been around since 1995, but I hate them.. I will be 'upgrading' mine soon, but MAN.. it'll take some time getting used to it.

Do you guys outside of the USA also have these? I'm sure you do..

Leave it to Micro$oft to force KB makers to do what THEY want..

Maybe I'll rig a Mac KB... oh wait, it has an Apple key, nevermind. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Yup we have them and I can't live without them Win95 key + e gives the explorer window so its very useful

Old 05-09-2002, 11:29 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This is REALLY annoying when you are playing BG2 or IWD and you try and click on CTRL+TAB or CTRL+SPACE to bring up your CLUAConsole and you hit that little hotkey by mistake - it minimizes your game and returns you to the desktop.

Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
MagiK

You should try the "ergonomic "split"" keyboards with the extra buttons [img]smile.gif[/img] It took me forever to get used to them, but now I can switch between regular KB's and the rounded split ones...since Im a 4 finger typist...heh I dont have too much of a problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2002, 11:39 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well this key board is 2-3 years old.. we only have the window key.. I don't know about those new ones... the newer ones I see have all these extra buttons where the Fx area is... and on the Pge Up/Down etc., area [img]smile.gif[/img]

So does this "egronomic keyboard" teahces you to use the right fingers or what MagiK? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2002, 11:46 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

I always wonder what evil, wicked villian came up with the idea of have "CTRL+ALT+DEL" as the only means of stoping a frozen program... anyone tried doing that with one hand...
Old 05-09-2002, 11:50 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I always wonder what evil, wicked villian came up with the idea of have "CTRL+ALT+DEL" as the only means of stoping a frozen program... anyone tried doing that with one hand...
You can do it from the right side of the keyboard, Jorath, with one hand...but it is very cumbersome, I agree. I studied piano for several years, though, so I got used to weird finger combinations for chords, so CTRL+ALT+DEL isn't so weird for me.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-09-2002, 11:52 AM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
This is REALLY annoying when you are playing BG2 or IWD and you try and click on CTRL+TAB or CTRL+SPACE to bring up your CLUAConsole and you hit that little hotkey by mistake - it minimizes your game and returns you to the desktop.
So you use CLUAConsole, do you, hmmmmmmm??? NOW we know your secret, Genie-boy! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-09-2002, 11:53 AM   #9
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah, it is a pain to CTRL+ALT+DEL with something in your other hand, but I suppose if the buttons for it were closer we'd now be cursing the guy who had the idea because we keep accidentally restarting while meaning to do something else.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:58 AM   #10
Sir_Tainly

Microsoft Corporation has just announced a new PC keyboard designed specifically for Windows. In addition to the keys found on the standard keyboard, Microsoft's new design adds several new keys which will make your Windows computing even more fun! The final specs are not yet set, so please feel free to make suggestions. The keys proposed so far are:

1) GPF key--This key will instantly generate a General Protection Fault when pressed. Microsoft representatives state that the purpose of the GPF key is to save Windows users time by eliminating the need to run an application in order to produce a General Protection Fault.

2) $$ key--When this key is pressed, money is transferred automatically from your bank account to Microsoft without the need for further action or third party intervention.

3) ZD key--This key was developed specifically for reviewers of Microsoft products. When pressed it inserts random superlative adjectives in any text which contains the words Microsoft or Windows within the file being edited.

4) MS key--This key runs a Microsoft commercial entitled "Computing for Mindless Drones" in a 1" x 1" window.

5) FUD key--Self explanatory.

6) Chicago key--Generates do nothing loops for months at a time.

7) IBM key--Searches your hard disk for operating systems or applications by vendors other than Microsoft and deletes them.

OR......

And one for Mac owners