Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 10-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
PoeticPantherGirl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay, it may just be a stoning offence to post this here but....
I am getting a tad....(and I use the word hesitantly) bored, with Wiz8. I am looking for something to peak my interest....I really love the way wiz 8 plays on many levels...plot, combat, char. development...but there really is one plotline and only so many times one can go through the game before it gets...old....
Does anyone have suggestions as to a good game they like and why? new or semi-old....I haven't played much.
I tried the Ice wind dale series...and didn't like it much, along with Morrowind...it was...okay....I didn't get into it like I did Daggerfall (which was THE game I loved playing over and over as well)...so you can see I am not gaming educated or savy....so any suggestions would be smurfy! Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Perhaps Wizards&Warriors? I've never played Wizardry, so I'm not too familiar with it, but you might be interested in W&W.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
sultan

you mentioned liking the combination of elements wiz 8 offers in particular. are there any elements you prefer more than others? or, to phrase that another way, are there some things you'd definitely like to see in another game to play?

for me, i'm too old and slow and stressed to find thumb-twitch click-fest games any fun, so turn-based is a must. i'd prefer the complex character development and party-based adventuring in wiz8, though there arent any like it. i'm not fussed on first-person.

with that in mind, my next favourite RPG is probably arcanum. the character development, for all its variety, is very unbalanced, so you end up developing most characters the same. but there's lots of NPCs with few restrictions, and a huge world with lots to explore, and very few things tied to a main plotline. it's over-the-shoulder view and grid-based movement is dated, but the turn-based combat is easy to follow (although there is a continuous combat option).

having said that, i'm more likely to play something outside the RPG genre if i dont play wiz 8. it's ruined me!
Old 10-16-2003, 04:42 AM   #4
the mighty stamar

There are so many great rpgs.

Gothic 2 and Divine Divinity are two of my favorites from the last year. Gothic 2 is a little like morrowind but better imo. Divine divinity is something like baldurs gate or diablo.

The only other games similar to wizardry 8 that came out in the last few yearsare might and magic 9 and wizards and warriors I would say.

A new game that I like a lot is Temple of Elemental evil.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:16 AM   #5
Halsey
Dungeon Master

My sad, and I mean very sad, response to your question would be that that most of us have purchased two or three games since the release of Wiz8. And most, like Morrowind, are still sitting on the shelf. We're all waiting for the next supergame...and it's not here...at least not yet.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:07 AM   #6
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

Final Fantasy 7, 8, or 10:
These games are sick!!! 7 and 8 are script but 10 has actual voices. Long games!!! All are about 60-80 hrs long. That is the down fall but you get lost in it easy.

Lands of Lore 3:
Not a bad game. I played Lands of Lore (the first one) and it was ok. The third one has more story and much better graphics.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
Rezdude03
Manshoon

hey ASG! why are u omitting FF9? that game was awesome.

if your into handheld, "golden sun" is really cool.

it all depends on what your into.

and dont forget, wizardry 9 may be around the corner! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 10-16-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Rezdude03 ]
\"We three, though born on different days, swear an oath of brotherhood\"<br />\"And vow to die the same year, same month and the very same day\"<br />\"Come, my Brothers\' destiny awaits!\"<br />-Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Liu Bei/ Dynasty Warriors 4
Rezdude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #8
WinnipegDragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Two games to really lose yourself in are Fallout and Fallout 2. Play it once as a fighter, once as a thief and once as a smooth talker. The plot doesn't change, but the way you play the game is very different, much like Daggerfall/Morrowind. That's assuming you don't mind playing a Sci-Fi RPG as opposed to fantasy.
WinnipegDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
sultan

Quote:
Originally posted by Halsey:
My sad, and I mean very sad, response to your question would be that that most of us have purchased two or three games since the release of Wiz8. And most, like Morrowind, are still sitting on the shelf. We're all waiting for the next supergame...and it's not here...at least not yet.
i'm with you, halsey. after discovering wiz 8, my wife and i went on an rpg kick and bought about a dozen older and newer games. the only ones that get any look-ins any more are arcanum (for nostalgia) and divine divinity, for a bit of mindless romping. most are gathering dust, but we actually returned BG and BG2 - just awful (D&D character system).

i know it's not good "business" to make a game so great that you play it for months and months and the company only gets $10 out of the deal, but if they (sirtech) put out expansion packs and adventure modules so you could hire your team out as mercenaries or take on quests around the universe, i'd happily put money in their pockets to keep adventuring.

cheers to the next supergame, whatever it may be.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

I never played FF9 rezdude03. I went online when it first came out, and it didn't appeal to me. It looked sort of stupid. I did like the graphics or how they dipicted the characters as being really short. I never tried it... that's why I can't say anything about it.