Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Is anyone familiar with a file called "jdbgmgr.exe"? I got this message saying that my system is infected with a virus if I found this file in my computer, and I found it on my harddrive, but I am in doubt of whether the virus is real or not. So as I've had bad experiences from this before, is the file jdbgmgr.exe really a virus, or is it a file on all computers?
I'd be very happy if anyone could do a search on this file on their computer, and see if it is found. If noone finds it on the computer, I will assume it is a real virus.
On forehand, thanks!
Old 03-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
daan
Silver Dragon

Well, whatever it is .. I got one too.

jdbgmgr.exe
found at --> C:\WINDOWS\system32
Old 03-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This is a well known hoax - do not delete this file.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-01-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Phew, that's good to know. I had my doubts, but wasn't too sure.
Thanks, you two. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

so has the file got any use instead of eating up disk space?
Old 03-01-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
Animal
Gold Dragon

It's the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java.

EDIT: It still can be infected by a virus, however. For more detailed information see http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...file.hoax.html

[ 03-01-2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 03-01-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

yeah dont remove that file! It's kind of important if you want to retain all of your saved Java logs!
Old 03-01-2003, 10:15 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's most definitely a hoax and you should never delete ANY exe file from your system or any other for that matter, until you check that hoax page or some other trusted site to be sure it's NOT a hoax.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...file.hoax.html
Old 03-01-2003, 10:33 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

To echo what has been said, always check with a reputable source (Symantec, McAfee, your local IS department) whenever you question or suspect virus activity.

The only emails you should trust that tell you you have a virus are ones from:

(1) your local IS department

(2) a friend who says "hey, you're infected! click on this reputable link for details"

(3) one that's in response to your question about being infected.

Anyone else who tells you you're infected, be skeptical. If you are infected, there's little impact in whether you fix it now or in a couple of hours, with the exception of some of the viruses that email everyone in your address book. And with those, as long as you're disconnected from the web, you should be fine.

Remember: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:25 PM   #10
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
It's most definitely a hoax and you should never delete ANY exe file from your system or any other for that matter, until you check that hoax page or some other trusted site to be sure it's NOT a hoax.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...file.hoax.html
The link I provided wasn't good enough, or what?