Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2001, 09:12 AM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

This is just a short question.
It asks how far you would go with your beliefs.

You are a US army soldier and you have just stumbled upon a smuggling ring, who are being paid to take Afgahnis families to safety. You find that Osama Bin Laden is among them and you find you have a choice.

The choice is thus:

You can let the people go thereby freeing Osama to stay as the figurehead of public terroism. He will escape you and be at large again. But you will have the knowledge you have saved a few hundred lives in the process.

Or you can call in a airstrike which will obliterate the smuggling ring, Afghan families, and Osama. Nothing in that area would survive. But you would have the knowledge that Osama was finally dead.

Which would you choose?

Just to add. This is assuming you CAN call in an airstrike in that moment. And tho choice I am giving you is "non-negotiable" to quote Bush. Without Elaboration please choose one of the above posts and descibe why you chose that answer. Pls I am not looking for elaboration on the choices.

This is not to judge you! I am simply curious as to how far people will go

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.

[This message has been edited by AzureWolf (edited 10-16-2001).]
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 09:21 AM   #2
Garnet

Good question, but too simplistic.

First, as a singular service member, you do not have the option of 'calling an airstrike'. Even as a commander on the ground, you may or may not, depending on the situation. You do, however, report the situation to the commanding ofcr who in turn reports and awaits official word. In the meanwhile, chances are you're in some way infiltrating the group to gather more intelligence.

BUT, if I were the service member in question who *did* have a role to play, I'd (as covertly as possible) isolate bin Laden from the group (there are *ways*) and let the rest go. This option satisfies the need for the innocents to away while at the same time prevents bin Laden to once again cower behind the skirts of women and children.

No US service man or woman I know of would have a problem doing just that, either.

Garnet
Old 10-16-2001, 09:27 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Garnet:
Good question, but too simplistic.

First, as a singular service member, you do not have the option of 'calling an airstrike'. Even as a commander on the ground, you may or may not, depending on the situation. You do, however, report the situation to the commanding ofcr who in turn reports and awaits official word. In the meanwhile, chances are you're in some way infiltrating the group to gather more intelligence.

BUT, if I were the service member in question who *did* have a role to play, I'd (as covertly as possible) isolate bin Laden from the group (there are *ways*) and let the rest go. This option satisfies the need for the innocents to away while at the same time prevents bin Laden to once again cower behind the skirts of women and children.

No US service man or woman I know of would have a problem doing just that, either.

Garnet
Refer to my above post that has changed
I know it may be a bit weird
But I wanted a line where I could just know how the balance of people fall on each side.
So as I respect your above reply.
Youd be most welcome to do a new reply on the choice

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 12:55 PM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Fine, I'm a serviceman who happens to notice Bin Ladden in that group. As a serviceman, I'm equiped with a M-16 riffle with a scope mounted on it. I'd let him discuss is war in person with Allah. You fill in the blank

That is the solution that solves your problem and doesn't kill anyone who doesn't need to be killed by our standards.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 02:49 PM   #5
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

You are a US army soldier and you have just stumbled upon a smuggling ring, who are being paid to take Afgahnis families to safety. You find that Osama Bin Laden is among them and you find you have a choice.

The choice is thus:

You can let the people go thereby freeing Osama to stay as the figurehead of public terroism. He will escape you and be at large again. But you will have the knowledge you have saved a few hundred lives in the process.

Or you can call in a airstrike which will obliterate the smuggling ring, Afghan families, and Osama. Nothing in that area would survive. But you would have the knowledge that Osama was finally dead.

Which would you choose?

Just to add. This is assuming you CAN call in an airstrike in that moment. And tho choice I am giving you is "non-negotiable" to quote Bush. Without Elaboration please choose one of the above posts and descibe why you chose that answer. Pls I am not looking for elaboration on the choices.

rigged question , AW. those would not be the only choices available in a real military situation - ther are Standing Operating Procedures (sop) in the situation you created - IF your sit. rep. is not based in reality, how can it be answered in kind? - I would use my Laser Vision(tm) to cinderize everything but his head, to make easy carry-with proof of his grisly demise.

------------------
Amanda's Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official Pin-Up Girl Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 02:54 PM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I would end up allowing him to leave, not on purpose though, after realizing that I only had those two choices I would sit down to consider them, and when I finally decided to do one or the other, Bin Laden would be long gone.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 03:24 PM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I would end up allowing him to leave, not on purpose though, after realizing that I only had those two choices I would sit down to consider them, and when I finally decided to do one or the other, Bin Laden would be long gone.
ROTFLMAO, you're right, ultimatly, that's what would happen
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 10:27 PM   #8
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

The choice is thus:

Which would you choose?

So the question as I see it:
Do you sacrifice a few, for the presumed good of the many, or you save a few, and let one player get way til perhaps another day?

Save the few, although the thought of me calling in an airstrike is quite comical, considering I'm one of those pacifists . Bin Ladin on the run outside Afganistan would be easier to catch anyway.

In total non-reality, perhaps I'd try to persuade him to come with me, like I do with shoplifters, bring him in alive for a reward...
"scuse me, Mr. Bin Ladin....Would you come with me please. I saw you put that CD in your pocket, and leave the store without paying. We have you on film and an airstrike is on standby. Right this way please."

Old 10-16-2001, 10:44 PM   #9
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

"it is better that one man perish than a whole nation dwindle in unbelief"

------------------
You can only call someone something so many times before they become that which you did not wish them to be!
Bad things happen to bad people!

Founding Father of TLFB
domingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:27 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

**brings out microphone and speaks in smooth afhagnistian** Osama Bin Laden, you have a package needs to be pick up, this Federal Express...

or here is an alternative solution:

All males come help carrying supplies! **then airstrike the males**
250 is offline   Reply With Quote