Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2001, 06:07 PM   #211
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Kaz and DragonMage - thank you both very much!

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead .... and head off to bed. Today I did a dance workshop, and tomorrow is more of the same..... so no staying up late on the forum for me tonight! Pity..........

And no, DragonMage, I'm not any of those things, but thanks muchly for the huge compliment! I am a writer, maybe that's got something to do with my liking for textual speechifying. Seriously, though, I am a person who feels quite strongly about things, and I think that probably comes over in text also

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 06:09 PM   #212
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

See Sig.

And Hate of all types should be ended.

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 06:27 PM   #213
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Silver Cheetah, what you say is valid. However, much as it needs to be said before Bush's advisors decide what he is going to decide, I don't think Americans can take such strong meat at the moment. They are wounded and are still on the weak chicken soup.
Don't be surprised if you get flamed, regardless of your previous great post.

As I hope I've made clear in my posts so far, I am not attacking the American people, nor am I minimising their tragedy. (Politicians are fair game.)

I am just absolutely SHIT SCARED that irrevocable actions are going to be taken that will end up hurting all of us, and that includes the American people!

All I'm saying is please let's look at the bigger picture, the practicalities of all this, to counterbalance, even if just slightly, all this this rah rah rah. There's plenty of hawks out there. The world needs lambs as well.

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 06:39 PM   #214
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

With you all the way!

------------------

Old 09-16-2001, 03:54 PM   #215
Fljotsdale

I'm bumping this back to page one 'cos I think people might like to read the Silver Cheetah's last few posts, which are brilliant, imho.

------------------

Old 09-16-2001, 07:12 PM   #216
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Very true. There are. However, it is worth noting that many such rulers, often as a result of colonisation, have been educated in the western model (often at elite schools) and have absorbed many of our western values (not least the materialism that is driving some to sell chunks of the World Trade Centre to make a profit.).....................etc, etc, etc,

(Sorry, I've made one or two points more than I started off intending to here, seem to have answered a couple of posts in one!)

Nice sentiments, but all I see here is an idealistic unrealistic view of the human animal. It isn't the western culture that turns the middle eastern despots into despots. If it were all western countries would be just the same as Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and others. The fact of the matter is, and as unappealing as it may be to you, there are EVIL people in the world and they do not value human life. It isn't the western powers who have MADE these people what they are. They are what they are because they are evil and no amount of reasoned talking, no amount of rational discourse will change it. If you look it is radical, religious, islamic fanatics who are perpetrating a lot of the evils and you will never be able to rationalize with a religious zealot.

Thats it, end of story. The truth is, Destroy evil when it rears its head..yes there are more subtle evils in the west, but subtle evils need not be blasted with High Explosives, you may excise it through the legal systems. The West is NOT the problem. The west is the salvation of humanity if things go right.

It is in the west where people are educated into the ideals that say, peace can work.

Also note, I am not defending the USA Im speaking of all western societies.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-16-2001).]

Old 09-16-2001, 07:16 PM   #217
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Thats it, end of story. The truth is, Destroy evil when it rears its head..yes there are more subtle evils in the west, but subtle evils need not be blasted with High Explosives, you may excise it through the legal systems. The West is NOT the problem. The west is the salvation of humanity if things go right.

It is in the west where people are educated into the ideals that say, peace can work.

"We come in peace - shoot to kill" Yeah. Nice one Kirk! Maybe you should re-think the words in your sig, lol!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 07:25 PM   #218
MagiK

Quote:
"We come in peace - shoot to kill" Yeah. Nice one Kirk! Maybe you should re-think the words in your sig, lol!

Umm HUH? Kirk? my Sig? What are you talking about?? I am officially confused

------------------

Old 09-16-2001, 07:31 PM   #219
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Umm HUH? Kirk? my Sig? What are you talking about?? I am officially confused
You mean you never watched Startrek? Captain Kirk ALWAYS 'came in peace' but usually ended up blowing someone/some group/some planet to smithereeens.

YOU said about us being peaceful in one sentence and using explosives in another. Granted you didn't say both things in the same sentence, though!

And you sig says: Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.
But you are talking about using high explosives on the terrorists, lol! Struck me as funny, anyway!

------------------

Old 09-16-2001, 07:39 PM   #220
MagiK

Quote:
You mean you never watched Startrek? Captain Kirk ALWAYS 'came in peace' but usually ended up blowing someone/some group/some planet to smithereeens.

YOU said about us being peaceful in one sentence and using explosives in another. Granted you didn't say both things in the same sentence, though!

And you sig says: Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.
But you are talking about using high explosives on the terrorists, lol! Struck me as funny, anyway!

*Sigh* I wasn't being literal about the high explosives, what I endevoured to express was that some times you do need to kill a rabid dog to protect the greater populace. Its a metaphor, I know we aren't talking aobut literal dogs here. As for the terrorists, sorry they deserve to be dis-integrated, there is no socially redeaming value in a person who would blindly kill men, women, children and innocents of all types just to hit his target, that constitutes a "rabid dog" to me. I know you don't support what happened so Im not sure why you felt the need to defend that type of extremist nut case. ahh well at least Im not confused any more, and after this weekend small victories are all I need.

------------------