Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

I got the new NWN2 XP Pack. I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much from it. Last time I played NWN2 I had to spend a couple hours messing in config files before I could get reasonable framerates and a decent camera. Well it seem they finally fixed the engine because this time everything worked out of the box.

Performances are better. They made some UI changes, added two new classes, five new prestige classes, epic levels and feats, as well as six new interesting subraces. (Also I've noticed new spells that are new. I'm not sure if this came in a patch of from the xp pack) They revamped the enchanting system. You can enchant without a workbench, you can also combine, extract or convert essences on the go. There's also some new recipes. Also they made changes to the Toolset. I couldn't tell you what changed out of memory, but things were different.

You start the game after the end of NWN2. Either with a new character or an imported one. You get to keep what you had equipped but not your weapons or your inventory. I'm not very far in the game yet, but I'm having fun with the new campaign.

Anyone else tried it?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Yup I have it. It's awesome, and up there in my top 10 RPG experience. I'd say it's at least on par with BG and most likely better.

The new spells are part of the exp pack btw.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Yes, I have it and I've completed it. All in all, its better than the OC, but could use some more character interactions/banter between NPCs, imo. The ending was a bit rushed too. Aside from that, it gets 9 out of 10.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm still not persuaded.

NWN2 has so many bugs it is irritating to play.

I just got the latest (1.11) fix and it changed the character screen!

And don't even mention the toolset.

Expansion Pack. Perhaps not.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah I felt the same. Just so irritated with final performance that I couldn't enjoy it. But, the XP I have heard good things about so I may try it. If there is any chance I could have an enjoyable D&D game I will do it.
It just sux how it takes a second game to pretty much fix the first. I mean, when did "improved performance" count as expansion content? Reeks of Atari.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greything View Post
I'm still not persuaded.

NWN2 has so many bugs it is irritating to play.

I just got the latest (1.11) fix and it changed the character screen!

And don't even mention the toolset.

Expansion Pack. Perhaps not.
Try patching to v1.16 or v1.116 (can't remember but the autoupdater will handle it). The correct installation is:

Install NWN2
Install MotB
Autopatch

-or-

Any existing NWN2 version
Install MotB
Autopatch

For the record, I uninstalled the OC, and used method 1.

I've been playing for about 4 days solid now, and this is a HUGE improvement imo over the OC.

Character dialog with the companions is MUCH MUCH deeper than the OC. It also seems to update more frequently so you don;t get the same old tired lines.

Luvian has a good synopsis of what's new.

There are some issues that seem to have cropped up on SOME systems with the OC BUT I have not seen ANY of them on my game. I've said this before and I'll repeat it - I truly believe that a LOT of the problems people are having are either (1) originating from the use of third party content that is NOT well devised or coded and is causing MASSIVE conflicts with the game code, or (2) people that have NOT followed the correct installation procedure. The only problem I have had so far (aside from some of the tough fights) is with one character whose entire inventory disappeared - that was solved with a reload.

BTW, all of the new content is retroactive to the OC as well. (Okay most of it as the OC is still capped at level 20).

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 01-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote