Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Im sure all of you know by now but I wish to ask all of you give your prayers and well wishes in your own way as Pope John Paul II is near death and will probably not live long. He has been an influencial figure and spiritual figure head who has not only affected Cahtolics but other religions as well. I only wish that his passing will be painless.

---------------------
VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II's condition remains "very grave," and he is showing the first signs of losing consciousness, the Vatican said Saturday.

The 84-year-old pope's health has rapidly deteriorated, with his heart and kidneys failing after he suffered a urinary tract infection.

But John Paul is not technically in a coma and opens his eyes when spoken to, papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls told reporters. He said the pope was still speaking as of late Friday.

"Mass was celebrated at 7:30 this morning in the presence of the pope," he said, adding that the pontiff did not take part.

"Sometimes it seems as if he were resting with his eyes closed, but when you speak to him, he opens his eyes," Navarro-Valls said.

He said aides had told the pope that thousands of young people were in St. Peter's Square on Friday evening.

"In fact, he seemed to be referring to them when, in his words, and repeated several times, he seemed to have said the following sentence: `I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you,'" the spokesman said.

John Paul's overall condition, which began declining Thursday, remained unchanged, the Vatican said.

"The general cardio-respiratory and metabolic conditions are substantially unvaried and therefore very grave. Since dawn this morning there have been first signs that consciousness is being affected," Navarro-Valls said.

Tourists and pilgrims streamed anew into St. Peter's Square on Saturday, and around the world, priests readied Roman Catholics for the pope's passing. Many expressed hope that his final hours would be peaceful.

"Now he prepares to meet the Lord," Cardinal Francis George said at a Mass in Chicago on Friday. "As the portals of death open for him, as they will for each of us ... we must accompany him with our own prayers."

A workman in the square, declining to give his name, told The Associated Press that crews were taking down the canopy on the steps of St. Peter's Basilica, which had covered an altar during Easter Sunday Mass. They said they had orders to clear the space for when the pope's coffin eventually is carried into the square.

Police in a motorized cart moved around the square, telling some faithful who were kneeling on the cobblestones to get up. Police said they were given orders that no one be allowed to sit or pray on the pavement in the square.

In a sign of the pope's decline, several cardinals from the United States and Latin America said they were heading to Rome. After the official mourning period following the death of a pope, cardinals hold a secret vote in the Sistine Chapel to choose a successor.

A dozen nuns said the rosary Saturday while standing at the foot of the obelisk in St. Peter's and looking at the pope's windows. They had just attended a morning Mass at the basilica.

Sister Arlete said she felt both sadness and happiness: "Sadness because he's dying, but happiness that his suffering will end, because he's truly suffering. He's a spiritual father who helps us grow in life with so much love and peace."

The Il Secolo XIX newspaper of Genoa reported that the pope, with the help of his private secretary Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz, wrote a note to his aides urging them not to weep for him.

"I am happy, and you should be as well," the note reportedly said. "Let us pray together with joy."
------------
www.yahoo.com

[ 04-02-2005, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I am a little confused. I mean such a holy man must be going up and not down. Would one not be happy for him?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
I am a little confused. I mean such a holy man must be going up and not down. Would one not be happy for him?
Happy in a way that he's better off dead than being in this state. But he's going down just like any other mortal, rest assured.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #4
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

He was the first polish pontiff. I hope they don't elect another italian, the pole was a nice change, and i think it would be really nice to have another foreign (as in foreign from the vatican's location) pope.
He will be sadly missed.

Quote:
johnny
Happy in a way that he's better off dead than being in this state. But he's going down just like other mortal, rest assured.

Jonny!
not the time to be saying this

[ 04-02-2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Intrepid ]
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I'm with johnny on this one. The pope looks so bad and grim that I think even he would like to pass on now, instead of living like this for a longer time.
He was a good pope, a bit more open-minded than the most, an it is sad to see him go, but it would be sadder to see him still alive, torturing him with operations and medication to prolongue the torment.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

i didn't mean that, i ment the "going down" comment wasn't appropriate
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
I meant no disrespect. What i meant was that he goes into the ground just like anyone else. It's only natural.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I guess my point was not clear. I mean everyone is praying for him. Are you praying because you want him to live or you want him to die. I am just saying that. Is it not everyones wish to go to heaven and if one person is going there I am sure it is him. So knowing that he is going to heaven would you not be happy for him. I get the feeling that people thought he was a good pope. So I am sure he is going to heaven. His time is up he did a good job now we should be happy?

And johnny I know we all have to go. I am just asking people that are more into the church. If they are happy or sad when you know someone is going to heaven when they die. And yes I know that acked of someone dieing is a very sad part of it. But knowing he is going to heaven you have to be happy?

Ok that is enough talk out of me. I feel I am getting close to be breaking the rules.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
I meant no disrespect. What i meant was that he goes into the ground just like anyone else. It's only natural. [/QUOTE]ohh sorry, i thought you ment he's going to hell, in reply to mack_attack's comment about going to "a better place" or something like that.
sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
I guess my point was not clear. I mean everyone is praying for him. Are you praying because you want him to live or you want him to die. I am just saying that. Is it not everyones wish to go to heaven and if one person is going there I am sure it is him. So knowing that he is going to heaven would you not be happy for him. I get the feeling that people thought he was a good pope. So I am sure he is going to heaven. His time is up he did a good job now we should be happy?

And johnny I know we all have to go. I am just asking people that are more into the church. If they are happy or sad when you know someone is going to heaven when they die. And yes I know that acked of someone dieing is a very sad part of it. But knowing he is going to heaven you have to be happy?

Ok that is enough talk out of me. I feel I am getting close to be breaking the rules.
that's what i thought you ment above