Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 05:28 PM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Enspired by the languages thread I thought it'd be interesting to hear the longest and wierdest place names ppl know from around the world. OK there's bound to be some welsh person out there just dying to tell me their place name which has about 2 vowels and 30 consonants, so just let it out here....

I like the name of a town in Hungary: Mosonmagyaróvár.
I'll post some if I see some interest in this thread.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:38 PM   #2
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

the longest place name in the world is
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch
its it Wales

in Icelandic we got plenty of nasty places... :
Fáskrúđsfjörđur
Króksfjarđarnes
and the longest Icelandic word is :
Vađlaheiđarverkfćrageymsluskúr
(Basicly means "A toolhut that is located on Vađlaheiđi"

And

------------------

Keldorn's Younger brother
Old 05-10-2001, 05:42 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hehe, yeah I knew that welsh one, couldn't remember how to spell it though

The longest word in hugarian which is grammatically correct, although not really used is: legeslegmegszentségteleníthetetlenségeteikért
I'm not joking.
Another nasty place name: Hódmezovásárhely.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:53 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Long, not necessarily...but weird? Texas has 'em.

There's "Cut and Shoot", located near Houston,
"Venus, Saturn, and Mars" all located near Dallas
"Merry Christmas" located just east of Longview on I-20
"Muleshoe" located in far west Texas, west of Lubbock

and my favorite: "Transcendental", a tiny town with a truckstop with the best barbecue in Texas, located between Midland and Odessa just off I-20. I guess you could say the barbecue is "transcendental", LOL!

Oh, and in Arkansas, there's a couple of towns that warrant mentioning:

"Toadsuck", near Conway, Arkansas, and near where my wife's mom was raised. I wonder what the local pastime is there?

and my favorite of all: "Chicken Pickens", near Dumas, Arkansas.

Now my home state, Louisiana, boy do we have some wild names there! We love to get yankees down here and have them try to pronounce them!

In Louisiana we have Point Coupee, Point-a-la-Hache, Barataria, Cheniere Tegue, Baballe-du-Carencro (Buzzard's Beak), Natchitoches (pronounced NACK-i-tish), Bogalusa, and probably a lot that I'm forgetting now. It's been a while since I've lived there.

Old 05-10-2001, 05:59 PM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Aaaaah long placenames - just a short trawl of the web unearths..........

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

This is the name of a town in North Wales. The name translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave" in Welsh, has long claimed the fame of having the longest name in the world. However, there is a hill in New Zealand called

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu

This Maori mouthful translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one." I consider this a lean short-story, however, and have serious reservations about giving New Zealand the gold, especially without photographic evidence. But you may count it if you like.

However, before you make up your mind, consider the favorite of the Guinness Book of Records, the name of Bangkok (Krungthep) in Thai:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyay amahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesma hasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamph rasit

The translation here is pretty much the unabridged history of the city rather than a word.
krungthep mahanakhon
The land of angels, the great city of
amorn rattanakosin
immortality, various of devine gems,
mahintara yudthaya mahadilok pohp
the great angelic land unconquerable,
noparat rajathanee bureerom
land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital,
udomrajniwes mahasatarn
place of the grand royal palace,
amorn pimarn avaltarnsatit
forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits,
sakatattiya visanukram prasit
predestined and created by the highest devas.

Phew!!!!

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Old 05-10-2001, 06:45 PM   #6
Tancred
White Dragon

Here in the good ol' UK we have Thong, Pratt's Bottom... and my personal favourite, Torpenhow Hill, which - if you translate it out of the component languages, means Hillhillhill Hill.

Tancred

Bloody stupid if you ask me. But do they? NOOOO...
Old 05-11-2001, 12:41 AM   #7
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

its not a place but the longest english word i know is antidisestablishmentarianism

------------------

Lord of the Screen Shot
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 05-11-2001, 01:12 PM   #8
CyberPixie

The name for Bangkok is a doozy....
One of my good friends is from Bangkok, and he said that when he was a child, there was a song that all the children had to learn just to remember the full name of Bangkok...kind of like the alphabet song, I guess. He's 28 now and can't remember the full name any longer...he tried to recite it for me once but got stuck half-way through
Of course, his name is a doozy too...took me forever to be able to say it all in one go because I was always messing it up: Sritaborwornphaiboon. Not as long as some of the other names you all have listed, but long nonetheless.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:46 PM   #9
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

These aren't too long, but thought they were interesting enough to add to the list. They are real places in Tennessee.

Damphool
Huffstetlers Store
Loosahatchie

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 05-11-2001, 01:52 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

In Oz all we can boast is places like Woolloomooloo (where I used to live - it's right between the CBD and Kings Cross)

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!