Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 12:50 AM   #21
Spiff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Chromatic Orb is a great spell. I havn't played either of the IWDs in a while, although I'm thinking I'll start again, but I remember using it quite a bit in both.

Mord's Force Missiles though, I don't think I really ever used that spell. I remember hearing that the save DC was off so hardly anything ever failed their saves on it, although I don't think I ever tested it myself. Does anybody know if there is actually a problem with it, or was I just missing out on a great spell?
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:36 AM   #22
Aerich
Lord Ao

Not sure about the whole saves thing, but I think the spell is only really useful at higher levels. You only get 1 missile at 7th level, and one for every 3 levels above that - the catch is that each missile has +1/dmg per caster level, and the number of missiles tops out at 7, not 5. There's also a small AoE as well.

I really only use Magic Missile to take down Mirror Image or to disrupt spellcasters, so I can't really see the point of using MFM until I get my level high enough that they do some serious damage. I'd rather use my 4th level slots for party buffing and some of the enchantment-type spells. Lvl 1-3 spells are perfectly fine for single-target direct damagers.

Part of the reason Chromatic Orb is so good in IWD 2 is because of the feats - with SF: E and SP it is easier to affect things with spells (it seems), and the value of a stunned enemy is higher because Power Attack and Maximized Attacks allow you to take it down quicker than you would in IWD/HoW. It's much more of a tactical decision now.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #23
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I also always wait to take MFM as a second lv 4 spell, but when it gets kicking it really kicks serious butt. What bothers me, that in IWD2, they didn't incorporate many usefull attack spells at levels 5,6 and 7, and that's a shame. Thre are some great spells for those levels, but these really are the only choice for a damage-dealer mage. There is not bu with MFM, deals tremendous damage later on.