Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 12-03-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think it was in the Severed Hand where I was told that a Paladin went to investigate the cause of the schism between the dwarves and the elves. So, at first, I assumed he had met his untimely end in the caverns of Lower Dorn's Deep but conveniently retained his rather nice sword for the use of the player.

This seemed rather unsatisfying to me, however, so I began to dig around in the dialogue file and found a conversation tree that would indicate that the player (maybe only if he himself is a Paladin) would meet the spirit of the original Paladin bound into a suit of armor in an area called Durdel Anatha.

Here's the journal entry:

We entered an area of Dorn's Deep called Durdel Anatha. Standing in the doorway was an animated suit of armor that called itself "The Voice of Durdel Anatha." It claimed that in life, it was a paladin of Torm. It tried to find out what was causing conflict between the elves of the Hand of the Seldarine and the dwarves of Dorn's Deep. It failed in its duty and wandered as a restless spirit for hundreds of years. Recently, some priests of Ilmater bound his spirit into a suit of armor and now command him from afar.

The reason why one might think that this is a quest only for Paladins is one of his dialogue responses:

Once, I was like you. A paladin of Torm, it was my duty to seek out traitors, vow-breakers, and the unfaithful across the Realms. When I heard of the conflict between the elves of the Hand of the Seldarine and the dwarves of Dorn's Deep, I came to investigate.

However, I could not find a variable (I'm using Infinity Explorer) that enables the quest only for a certain class, so maybe the whole thing just got cut.

So did anyone actually meet that guy while having a Paladin as party leader?
Kaelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Otto
The Magister

Evidently, this is part of the "Sister Calliana Quest" which was never fully implemented in the game.

From what I understand, destroying the idol in LDD frees "the voice of Durdel Anatha", which is the dead Paladin's spirit. If you return to Kuldahar, Sister Calliania gives you one of four possible rewards, one of which is "The Glory of Suffering" (Paladin's Armor).

See my thread on the Sister Calliana quest for more details.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah, thanks Otto!

Should have searched the forum before posting...
Kaelas is offline   Reply With Quote