Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 11:28 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Having fulfilled the final quest for Malakai at the temple, Missy Hissy returned to the desert by magical means, where desert raptors, among others, tried to have her for dinner. ‘Twas the last meal they ever tried to eat... and she left their eggs to rot on the desert sand. Pity... at one time, she would have treasured the piece of the future they contained, but today... there was only death. Bleak, grey, despairing death. If not someone else’s, then hers... so she passed death along to all who bothered her. And sometimes merely breathing was enough to be a bother.

Wandering around the desert more, she encountered more Dumdee Oleohs. Sturdy creatures... it took a lot of effort to bring one down, and if enough of them were to surround her... well, perhaps it would be her turn to partake of death. But not today, at least, not yet.

As Missy continued her passage through the desert, she spied something a distance away. Upon approaching, it soon became a giant pyramid, and the sounds she had heard the other day were now more evident. The mythical Stackman was at the base of the pyramid, gently caressing one of the sand-worn stones that made up the bottom ring of the stack. He looked up as she approached.

“Another of you, to test the Stack?” he asked.

“Another? You mean, there are more?” she replied.

“Yes, more,” he responded, looking off into the deepening dusk for a moment. “A group I have been shepherding, though they need little of my assistance. They have already entered the Holy Stack, and it is here that I fear I must leave them. But you... are you alone? Have you had assistance?”

Missy’s heart rose into her throat. “I... am... alone. In many ways. There is no other with me, and there is no other like me. I do not know why I journey on, but I do. I just pray there is something of an answer - no, wait. I do know why I journey. I journey to find the coward who killed my father.”

“Coward?” Stackman asked. “But --”

“A coward,” declared Missy. “One can kill with honor, or without it. If she were not a coward, she would have killed him herself, taken the chance in direct combat. But no, she paid for his death in trinkets... and mine, too.”

“But you’re not dead, at least as far as I can tell,” continued Stackman. “Or if you are, this is the most pleasant conversation I can recall having with a corpse.”

“On the outside I’m alive,” said Missy, gritting her teeth. “Inside... inside, I’m not quite sure. I used to be alive, but I don’t think I am any more. Something is missing.”

Stackman nodded. As one of the gods, he often saw things beyond mortal ken. “I suggest you move forward, into the Stack. I believe you will find the answers to many things within the Holy Stack, and perhaps many more questions as well.” He gestured towards a central opening.

Missy nodded and bade farewell. It wasn’t often you talked to a god, and you never wanted to make that conversation your last one. Gathering her equipment one last time, she trudged toward the opening.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Ah, yes, I can still remember those sand-worn stones. So soft to the touch...

You had me laughing all the way through. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Very good chapter. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 01-01-2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 01-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #3
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Yaaay! Bungleau! Another entertaining chapter. Cracked up laughing at the Holy Stack part. Even though I haven't playing W&W for a while, I'm still enjoying the stories.

Keep them up!

Moiraine Sedai
Old 01-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

LOL!!!

I love this interweaving of your two stories!!
Nice to finally have the chance to catch up (well a bit at least).

I think I will have the following written on fine parchment in an excellent hand:
It wasn’t often you talked to a god, and you never wanted to make that conversation your last one. Very wise!

Wyv
Old 01-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Glad you liked it, Wyv. Finding those poignant thoughts is often challenging, and it's good to know when they're reaching their mark [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote