Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I waited in line for over half an hour at EB today but I got the Diamond edition!! I did play the demo and liked it and I also saved the character. I went with a Half-Orc Fighter-Priest who's currently lvl 3 in total. I thought it would be an easy starting character 'til I get familiar with the game. I already have half plate for him!

I would like some suggestions on skills and feats to take!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

*here is your magic ring*

Well it all depends on where you want to go ?

More Magic or more Melee ?

If you want more magic then invest in your wisdom score.

If you want more Melee then Strength & Con are your friends.

As for weapons a Warhammer & Shield are a good combo.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

What's included in the Diamond edition?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

All three base OC's, and the Kingmaker module, I believe.
Edit, cross posted.
The only feat you need for warhammer is Martial Weapons, and fighters get that by default. I started a rogue my very first time out, as they are relatively easy, and I thought I'd have a whole party. However, there is a henchman for most occasions, so beginning classes are not as big an issue as you might think. As for gold, open everything. Won't take long to have enough gold to do what you want, in fact, it won't take long to have more gold than you can spend.

[ 12-29-2005, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Diamond has all four parts, NWN, SoU, HoU and Kingmaker.

I am thinking more of a melee type character this time. The problem with these games is that you in hand-to-hand so fast you can't get most spells off.

So you like the warhammer eh? Is that not a higher lvl skill? I have a morningstar and shield now and I'm just looking at doing a little shopping. I only have a few hundred gold right now, as I just just got through the stables and talked to Arlith.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok, I got the warhammer and a medium shield. I did pick up the halforc henchman but he seems to get in my way. I'm thinking of dumping him. I have come across i chest I couldn't bash open. Do I need a rogue for this?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

That depends. Did you get the "weapon ineffective" message? If so, then there's no way to break the chest open, and it may need a key (in which case, lockpicking won't work, either). If you didn't get that message, then you're just not doing enough damage to the chest.

Daelan is generally the best tank henchman, and most players think he does a good job. Remember you can give him different commands for combat. Have you tried this yet?

Why a half-orc? For the strength bonus? They take too big a hit in charisma, which is important for turning undead.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks Nightowl! You're right it looks like a key is needed. I'll try giving Daelan some different t them?commands and I took the half-orc figuring the heck with with turning and just kill them in melee.

What do I do with the maps I bought? Do they just stay in my inventory?

.. and please spoil me on the fire beetle hearts - do I sell 'em or can something more be done with them?

..and is there a faster way to save? I hate this 5 step process!

[ 12-29-2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I broke down and decided to print all 113 pages of the manual. I couldn't figure out how to cast spells which were not under the functions keys etc. I'd click on them and I'd loose them!

....still printing....

...still printing...

...done!

[ 12-29-2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yes, once the area is filled in on the automap you can ditch the ones in your inventory. Fire beetle bellies are used as reagents for something or other. I never did do spellcasters, so can't say for sure what. There are a couple of points in the game where you need one for something special, but a belly will always be around somewhere nearby.

Wow, printing out the whole thing, eh? That's the drawback to the diamond edition: no paper manual. Makes me glad I bought the platinum (of course, there was no diamond when I did .

The fastest way to save is with the quick save, but of course there's only one. I don't find the regular save method to be a hassle myself. Do you have a slow machine?

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote