Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 08:14 AM   #21
Moiraine
Anubis

So basically you are saying that we girlies actually are men with a little something more ! Damn this Freud man trying to have us thinking the opposite ...

I am both a man and a woman - can you say such ?

I am a WOW!-man !!!

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 05-10-2001, 08:14 AM   #22
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
SirT

As you probably know, in England, surgeons are not addressed as Dr but as Mr or Miss. Even when a female surgeon marries she reatains her maiden name and the title Miss.With the exception of one of the Queen Mother's orthopaedic surgeons Mr William Muirhead-Allwood who underwent a sex change and re-emerged as Miss Sarah Muirhead-Allwood.

I really meant job titles rather than how one address said individual, but I take your point. In the military certainly the RAF, an individual must reach a particular rank before he can be addressed as Mr. Otherwise the peron must be refered to by their rank and surname, Only applies when talking down the chain of command, else it's Sir

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-10-2001, 08:18 AM   #23
Moiraine
Anubis

Actually, Yorick, I just mad a little etymological research - it seems that 'woman' doesn't come from 'womb' but from an Old English word 'wifmann', mann meaning mankind and wiff meaning female (this word ultimately gave 'wife').

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 05-10-2001, 08:36 AM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Actually, Yorick, I just mad a little etymological research - it seems that 'woman' doesn't come from 'womb' but from an Old English word 'wifmann', mann meaning mankind and wiff meaning female (this word ultimately gave 'wife').

Wife originated as an alternate meaning for woman yes. I find wiffmann a bit of a stretch though. I've done some language origin reading and found sometimes the opinions vary hugely.
Maybe thats true, in which case what did the wiff mean as opposed to wiffmann being shortened to wiff. Why was it added in the first place?

How many other guys call/called their wives Wiff? I did. Wiffy, Wiff. Seems the language unwittingly did a full circle in my case

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 05-10-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 08:50 AM   #25
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Wife originated as an alternate meaning for woman yes. I find wiffmann a bit of a stretch though. I've done some language origin reading and found sometimes the opinions vary hugely.
Maybe thats true, in which case what did the wiff mean as opposed to wiffmann being shortened to wiff. Why was it added in the first place?

How many other guys call/called their wives Wiff? I did. Wiffy, Wiff. Seems the language unwittingly did a full circle in my case

Hey i knew that one!
When I studied english we had some papers on this subject. Alot of doing with the sefaring around scandinavia and also the english islands. Alot of words were borrowed from each other. There is an old saga called just the seafarer fromaround eh 900 ac something and it´s originated from england and I could understand it without problems because more than half the words sounded like alot of the words used today in many scandinavian languages. I can have alook and see if I can dig out some of my notes about it if anyone is interested (or if my now partying werewolf hasn´t gotten to them first.)

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-10-2001, 08:54 AM   #26
Sir_Tainly

Wolfie, just look at the Days of the week in English, some of them are borrowed from the scandinavians and named after their Norse gods

Wednesday = Wodan
Thursday = Thor
Friday = Freya (sp?)

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-10-2001, 08:55 AM   #27
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
SirT

As you probably know, in England, surgeons are not addressed as Dr but as Mr or Miss. Even when a female surgeon marries she reatains her maiden name and the title Miss.With the exception of one of the Queen Mother's orthopaedic surgeons Mr William Muirhead-Allwood who underwent a sex change and re-emerged as Miss Sarah Muirhead-Allwood.
Donut,

Can you explain why that is? Is it just customary...or is there some sort of reason for not referring to surgeons as "Dr."? Seems to me that is a little bizarre as surgeons are simply specialized doctors. I'm curious...

Thanks!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-10-2001, 09:05 AM   #28
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Wolfie, just look at the Days of the week in English, some of them are borrowed from the scandinavians and named after their Norse gods

Wednesday = Wodan
Thursday = Thor
Friday = Freya (sp?)

Sun day
Moon day
Tue's day (Celtic God of War I believe)
Woden's day (Norse King God Odin's day)
Thor's day (Norse God of Thunder)
Freya's day (Norse Goddess of Love and Beauty I believe)
Saturn' day (King of the Titan's - Zeus' father)

What gets me about the months of the year is they made perfect sense: OCTober (eight) SEPTember (seventh) NOVember (ninth) and DECember (tenth) until some idiot added July (Julius Caeser) and August (Augustus Caeser) IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YEAR!!!!

Hello!

------------------

Old 05-10-2001, 09:09 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

There is an old saga called just the seafarer from around 900 ac something and it´s originated from england and I could understand it without problems because more than half the words sounded like alot of the words used today in many scandinavian languages.

Incredible. I love how languages develop.

------------------

Old 05-10-2001, 09:09 AM   #30
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:

Wednesday = Wodan
Thursday = Thor
Friday = Freya (sp?)

Ah, thanks ! I always wondered why some but not all English names were so different from the French ones ! French names for the days of the week smply come from the Solar System planets :

Lundi = Monday = Moon day (Moon = Lune)
Mardi = Tuesday = Mars day
Mercredi = Wednesday = Mercury day
Jeudi = Thursday = Jupiter day
Vendredi = Friday = Venus day
Samedi = Saturday = Saturn day
Dimanche = Sunday = ??? (I don't know for this one ...)

------------------

The world is my oyster !