Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-14-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Hehe, check out the new mannequins in some NY stores:

LINK

Quote:
Big-Bottomed Mannequins Boost Profile in New York

Fri Nov 12,10:48 AM ET
By Christine Kearney

NEW YORK (Reuters) - J.Lo and Beyonce can take another bow. The booty-shaking stars have shaped the newest generation of mannequins, with hundreds of well-rounded plastic backsides appearing in shop windows across New York.

Bootylicious figures clad in tight low-rise jeans have spilled from the city's street fashion stores into more established labels.

"It's absolutely the trend," said Dwight Critchfield, creative director for mannequin firm Goldsmith.

"These mannequins look great, and there is a real sex appeal about them."

The recent pop culture fixation on large bottoms has been around since at least 1992, when rapper Sir Mix-a-Lot scored a hit with "Baby Got Back."

But some credit the recent booty shakin' efforts of shapely stars Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce for the fresh emphasis on bigger and rounder posteriors, coupled with the fashion explosion of the Brazilian-style low-rise jeans.

"J.Lo was the first to stress that women shouldn't be afraid to show their curves, and the popularity of rap made that shape more acceptable," said Critchfield. "And it is about these low-riding jeans looking good on a sexy, tight fit."

The company launched a "Sex" mannequin with "a larger booty and body" tailored for fashion label Express and for stores carrying lower-end trend clothing, said Critchfield.

On the juniors' floor of Macy's in Manhattan, Guess jeans and streetwear label EckoRed display jeans on a fuller rear-end bottom-half mannequin, known as a pants form, opposite a large poster of J.Lo and her clothing label, while a DJ mixes hip hop and reggae to teen and 20-something shoppers.

EckoRed launched the new mannequin -- called the J.Lo butt form -- at the store almost two years ago and sales have since tripled.

"It is a serious sociological trend that is positive for retailers and customers in that the tyranny of the undernourished perfect model is over," said Rich Rollison of Lifestyle Forms and Display, which designed the pants form mannequin.

Other companies also are developing more realistic mannequins with larger posteriors in maternity and plus sizes.

U.S. label Lane Bryant, which caters to plus sizes 14 to 28, is launching a more voluptuous full-body mannequin across its 250 stores after a successful test run in New York.

"It originated from urban ethnic street wear, but it has transcended that," Rollison said. "Now you are going to see it projected in more urban markets and it will get bigger."
Old 11-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Spirits forever

omg...that just...freaked me out....can never go shopping again....*phew* thats a relief it was a hassal anyways...but are they serious about this?

i hope artists don't begin using that type of manikins *shudders* that would be hell for me...
i don't like the look of those manikins....

oh well [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

Huh?

Oh I heard about that change in style. Gonna made a lot of us in style again.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 11-14-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Mannequins are creepy to me LOL, especially those that are only partial bodies LOL, like those ones with no head but a round foam/wire empty circle.

These ones have bigger butts, but where is the rest of their bodies?!

I like big butts and I do not care
Even if the rest of em isn't there

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

You can thank J-lo for all the big... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Not gonna lie, that's the most awesome thing I've seen this evening! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 03:46 AM   #7
Har'oloth
Manshoon

makes my day here on college
Old 11-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..guess McDonald's is back on everybody's good side...
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #9
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
"It is a serious sociological trend that is positive for retailers and customers in that the tyranny of the undernourished perfect model is over," said Rich Rollison of Lifestyle Forms and Display, which designed the pants form mannequin.
Oh great, so now I can choose between looking like a model and looking like Beyonce? [img]tongue.gif[/img] This still doesn't help those who don't look like that. It's a bit of an improvement, but not much. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

LOL, Melusine, I get creeped out by those mannequins that only have half a face, or even those that are only dressed half... I don't know why, but it's really weird seing a full mannequin with only a shirt on.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 AM   #10
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

My god... I didn't realise people actually designed mannequins... I assumed they just... were! [img]tongue.gif[/img]