Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

It's getting to be a scorcher once again here in Texas...already we're in the 90's and with heat indexes in the 100's (that's 30's and 40's to the international crowd. ).

I'm currently trying to stay cool by:

*-Remaining indoors as much as I can during the day
*-Drinking lots of liquids
*-Eating fruit (watermelon being one of my favorites during the summer!)
*-Indulging in 7-11 "Slurpees" every so often (yes, I still love them!)
*-Doing what I can to get into the water as much as possible.

Anyone having heat complaints in your area yet? What do you do to beat the heat?

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-12-2002, 07:17 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

its like 30 C here and I'm dying. We don't usually get this weather. I'm in my basement on my computor. Its always cold [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I work in a kitchen all day , so even though its in the 80's outside it doesnt realy bother me. Sometimes when I get out of work it feels cooler outside than it does inside.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Saz, it was a code red day for us here. Really taking one day at a time with the heat ala' eastern coast style. New developements and the cutting down of trees for infrastructure purposes is getting old. Why don't these people realize that the trees scrub the air? If I were a designer of highways I would sorround them with the best mutant air scrubbers I could create.
(Great tips btw!)

I stashed a small fridge into my dusty office and color code my Gatorade I dont really need to but he won't dare touch it!
Stay cool and I love fresh fruit.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:45 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
oops.... thougt you were gonna discuss the miami heat never mind.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah Saz, as Conan said, we've been going through a heat wave here too in VA. Think it was 95 today, heat index over 100, air quality horrid, apparently heat makes pollution worse. Best thing is to stay indoors in the AC! I had today off, and a few times I "refreshed" the neighbor's dog's water bowl, which is sitting right in the hot sun. I figure hot water isn't very refreshing LOL, and the neighbors never pay much mind to their dog at all Was gonna spray her (the dog) with the hose too, but she didn't seem to want that from the look on her face LOL, so I didn't.

We've got a Wave Pool real close, in walking distance, but not sure if I'm ready to jump into that mess, too crowded, and you either swim your butt off fighting the current, or rent a raft and bob up and down.. think I'll just stay put and enjoy the PC and AC

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-12-2002, 08:27 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Now is the time to cultivate friendships with people who have swimming pools...especially those who don't use too much chlorine!

I think I'm going to stop off at the Sonic on the way home and get a Route 44 ocean water.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #8
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i got up to 100 today.don't know what the index was though.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
Moni

I join it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
This house is kept so refrigerator cold that the heat feels good.
Made a pot of chili today and right about now, all that cold air is feeling pretty good! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2002, 08:40 PM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by *\Conan/*:
Saz, it was a code red day for us here. Really taking one day at a time with the heat ala' eastern coast style. New developements and the cutting down of trees for infrastructure purposes is getting old. Why don't these people realize that the trees scrub the air? If I were a designer of highways I would sorround them with the best mutant air scrubbers I could create.
(Great tips btw!) I stashed a small fridge into my dusty office and color code my Gatorade I dont really need to but he won't dare touch it!
Stay cool and I love fresh fruit.
Hey there Conan, Neighbor [img]smile.gif[/img]

About the tree thing [img]smile.gif[/img] hehehe you better talk to the folks in North Carolina who thought that way [img]smile.gif[/img] They planted all these trees to replace the ones that had been removed for development and thought that would help their air quality [img]smile.gif[/img] turns out the trees actually raised the pollution index. The Smoky Mountains got their name for a reason, seems the trees native to the area produce some gases (read the article last year so details are a bit fuzzy)which ended up making the air quality index worse instead of better.

All I do know about the DC area is that during the revolutionary war This area was subject to bitterly cold winters and blazingly hot and humid summers (the whole place was a swamp ya know)as recorded in many soldiers memoirs.

Really we have only had a couple of really hot days here. We had temps in the 70's in the past 7 days and now we are in the 90's. Working in doors all day has protected me from the effects and the weekends have been really pleasent....so far....I will say...trees do provide shade [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tubing down the Shennendoah or the Potomac up around Harpers Ferry is a great way to kkep cool....or lounging around the pool [img]smile.gif[/img]

@ LadyZeke High temps cause somthing called an inversion zone that traps the air low to the ground thus keeping all gasses coming from the ground (man made and natural) from disipating. It happens a lot in LA too from what I have read.

[ 06-12-2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]