Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-21-2001, 01:20 PM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by KHaN:
I don't see ANY difference between launching a CALCM from a bomber hundreds of miles away and an assassins bullet as far as morality goes. If we sanction one we should sanction the other. Maybe the Cruise missle makes more of a mess but the intent is the same. I totally agree on the view of why world leaders shun assassinations.

Cruise Missiles cost too much, a Bullett is under a buck a pop.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-21-2001, 01:38 PM   #22
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Governments are not against assasinations. But generally, they arrange it so that trusted guards/friends who are fellow countrymen of the victim actually do the job, so the governments concerned are not directly implicated. It's been done before and will be done again.

Maybe the US should hire the Mafia? They are pretty good at sneaky assasinations like that. I'm only half joking, btw!

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 01:39 PM   #23
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
[B]someday, we gonna have a DNA nuclear bomb

[B]
Gulp! Does it, er, HAVE to be nuclear?

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 01:41 PM   #24
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I think you may be mistaken about the olden days. Royalty did not lead from the front, they used "tasters" to check their food for poison...who would want that job? In the armies, peasents (masses) of peasents protected the Royals and Knights from the armies of the enemy, of course then knights were expected to fight each other.

I thinkk those in power have always been protected more than the common man since their death could have (in theory) a more damaging effect on the whole kingdom, state, country, whatever. Cowardly? to a point. Sensible? to a point.
new? not on your life.

Depends on which rulers you have in mind, MagiK. Some of 'em DID lead from the front!
Though a good many more did not, certainly.

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 01:43 PM   #25
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Gulp! Does it, er, HAVE to be nuclear?
Yeah! I kinda think nuclear would defeat the object of the DNA bit, lol!

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 04:00 PM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Governments are not against assasinations. But generally, they arrange it so that trusted guards/friends who are fellow countrymen of the victim actually do the job, so the governments concerned are not directly implicated. It's been done before and will be done again.

Maybe the US should hire the Mafia? They are pretty good at sneaky assasinations like that. I'm only half joking, btw!

Actually in the 60's during the Kennedy administration the CIA actually did hire the mafia to make a "hit" on Fidel Castro. It was a disaster and a huge political bust. The Mafia just doesn't seem to work well for assassinating world leader types...now if you want your uncle freddy whacked....thats different...know what I mean? How ya doin?? (sorry too many commercials on tv lately dealing with italian ethnic types )

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-21-2001, 07:20 PM   #27
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Actually in the 60's during the Kennedy administration the CIA actually did hire the mafia to make a "hit" on Fidel Castro. It was a disaster and a huge political bust. The Mafia just doesn't seem to work well for assassinating world leader types...now if you want your uncle freddy whacked....thats different...know what I mean? How ya doin?? (sorry too many commercials on tv lately dealing with italian ethnic types )

Gosh! I remember that! Was it really the Mafia? I don't remember hearing that! In that case, I take back the suggestion, lol!

I'm ok. How's yourself? Just been listening to a Jeremy Paxman interview with Colin Powell. Seems like a very sensible chap, not hawkish, but not mawkish, either. Sensible and practical. Not the sort to send out the bombers and the missiles, by the sound of it.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 04:20 PM   #28
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:

I would like to see us take the first steps towards a peace keeping body WITH TEETH. The goal would be, eventually, to eliminate non human rights respecting regimes, and replace them with democratically elected leaders, or at the least, (in those parts of the world where democratic elections just would not be acceptable) leaders prepared to respect certain basic and fundamental human rights (including the right of women not to be treated as 'property' rather than individuals with rights.)

I understand your points, SC. A real international police force, enforcing agreed upon international laws regarding human rights and the like, might give more of an appearance of justice than does action by a powerful individual state like the US.

However, what you are talking is of course a step towards real world government.

There is a lot of resistance to such notions from people afraid of giving up local autonomy to a far away world body -- and with good reason.

Old 09-23-2001, 04:36 PM   #29
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I understand your points, SC. A real international police force, enforcing agreed upon international laws regarding human rights and the like, might give more of an appearance of justice than does action by a powerful individual state like the US.

However, what you are talking is of course a step towards real world government.

There is a lot of resistance to such notions from people afraid of giving up local autonomy to a far away world body -- and with good reason.

Yes, indeed, with good reason. I should perhaps make it clear here that I am not at all in favour of giving up local rights to centralised bodies - as we seem to be doing right left and centre, especially with regard to trade, not to mention regulations of all sorts. I do not believe centralised bodies understand local needs, and that this kind of governance is too crude to work in the long term.

However, when it comes to dictators and tyrants enslaving and impoverishing millions, then we need to look at some kind of world body, I do believe. Very difficult in practice, but that's no reason not to attempt it!

------------------
Old 09-23-2001, 04:43 PM   #30
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, indeed, with good reason. I should perhaps make it clear here that I am not at all in favour of giving up local rights to centralised bodies - as we seem to be doing right left and centre, especially with regard to trade, not to mention regulations of all sorts. I do not believe centralised bodies understand local needs, and that this kind of governance is too crude to work in the long term.

However, when it comes to dictators and tyrants enslaving and impoverishing millions, then we need to look at some kind of world body, I do believe. Very difficult in practice, but that's no reason not to attempt it!

I agree with what you just said, both in your view of more autonomy at the local level and yet at the same time an international body set up to deal with international crime such as at the level we have just witnessed with the attack on the WTC.

Such an international body would possess more credibility on the world scene than merely the US acting alone and other countries going along for the ride.

It cut be sort of a loose federation set up by treaty of the member nations.