Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2001, 10:29 AM   #11
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Pewie, thought I would get flamed there for my opinion on english food.. Well if you get to know me you´ll soon found out that food isn´t my top priority.. I do eat, but well, not much..

Cool with that plastic money Epona.. Could you take a scan of it perhaps? I would like to se that one

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-07-2001, 10:35 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Wolfgir, this is actually a joke I heard a long time ago, which your statement reminded me. Hope it gets a chuckle somewhere.

The difference between Heaven and Hell is:

in Heaven, the British are the cops, the French are the cooks, and the Germans are the engineers.

in Hell, the Germans are the cops, the British are the cooks, and the French are the engineers.

(apologies to anyone who may be offended...it's in fun! And I know of at least one VERY good French engineer, too...he's the guy that told me this joke!)

Old 05-07-2001, 10:37 AM   #13
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Hehe, well as they say in A fish called Wanda..
Englands only contrubution to the world cuisuine (OK terrible spelling, mayday mayday, Wolf going down....boom) hehe)) .. Fish and chips. I tried that one.. Well thank god they have Italian restaurants and MC Donalds there. Sorry all you UK people, I have heard you have more than that but I haven´t met anyone who could tell me where it was...

Jello is however truly and deeply disgusting...

Wolfie, a Swedish friend bought me two tins of 'matjes sill' back from Sweden last week. On Thursday night I opened one of them. AAAAAAAAAAARRRGH! . Now I know what it must be like to eat snails Hi Moiraine.

Next time she goes to Sweden she is going to get me a tin of bear meat!

And Reeka, I once ate breakfast in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Grits - now what is THAT all about?

Ramon, I can't think what those coins could be but just because they are from from 1955 it doesn't make them old!

Donut (on the defensive)
------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Heading for Cardiff

[This message has been edited by Donut (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 10:38 AM   #14
Charlie
Lord Ao

My personal rule of thumb.

"Never eat on an empty stomach".

Fill it to the brim with the beer of your choice and taste becomes irrelevant. Jeez sometimes you're just happy to have shovelled it in your mouth on the first attempt...not always possible accepted.
English restaurant = Whichever shop your drunken frame encounters first.
Taste, cost and cholestoral are of absolutely no significance when zig zagging your way home covering your new shirt front in layers of warmish grease.
Yes, the Engish open air restaurant, tried, enjoyed and often thrown up by Brits the world over.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 05-07-2001, 10:38 AM   #15
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Wolfgir, this is actually a joke I heard a long time ago, which your statement reminded me. Hope it gets a chuckle somewhere.

The difference between Heaven and Hell is:

in Heaven, the British are the cops, the French are the cooks, and the Germans are the engineers.

in Hell, the Germans are the cops, the British are the cooks, and the French are the engineers.

(apologies to anyone who may be offended...it's in fun! And I know of at least one VERY good French engineer, too...he's the guy that told me this joke!)

Hehehehe
Hehe hoho hahah.. That was really funny man!!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-07-2001, 10:54 AM   #16
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ramon: Just curious, why do you call me m'aam? In the states, you usually only call someone m'am who is alot older than you. I'm not that old Ramon.

Donut: Absolutely can't believe that you have been to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Birmingham is north of there. Well, about grits. You can't grow wheat very well in the south, but corn grows very well here. I guess you would say that it is the major "grain" produced in the south. So, we make lots of things out of corn. Cornbread is wonderful (bread made out of corn). Grits are a cornmeal mush, I personally love them, but to some people it is an acquired taste. Did you eat them? Did you like them?

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
GMDLM

Old 05-07-2001, 11:08 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:

Donut: Absolutely can't believe that you have been to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Birmingham is north of there. Well, about grits. You can't grow wheat very well in the south, but corn grows very well here. I guess you would say that it is the major "grain" produced in the south. So, we make lots of things out of corn. Cornbread is wonderful (bread made out of corn). Grits are a cornmeal mush, I personally love them, but to some people it is an acquired taste. Did you eat them? Did you like them?

We were on our way to New Orleans for Mardi Gras (the following day) by train and we needed a stopover. I seem to remember passing through Birmingham on the way & i've been through Birmingham on a bus on the way to Nashville.

It is unusual for me to find a food that I hate but grits was it! I loved the corn bread and the catfish, and the alligator, and the gumbo and the southern fried chicken and the country ham and eggs and every other type of food.

Only one other problem in the States. We were in Little Rock in Arkansas and we ordered peach cobblers for desert but didn't really like them. When the waitress came to the table she noticed we had left them and asked in a loud southern accent 'What's wrong with your cobblers?' . (In Britain 'cobblers' is a euphemism for 'nuts' if you get my drift) My friend laughed so much he slid off his chair under the table.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Heading for Cardiff
Old 05-07-2001, 11:25 AM   #18
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Donut! ROFLMAO! ROFLMAO! That reminds me of a professor of ours. I work in a university, that was in London for a semester. Her 8 year old son was with her, and he wanted a collection of some sort from their visit in London. So, to conserve space and money, they started a eraser (like on the end of pencils) collection. She told me that in Britain, you call erasers "rubbers." Well, in the States, "rubbers" are condoms. He was going to school with British kids and picking up the lingo. She told me, "I have got to tell him that when we get home to not ask people if they want to see his collection of rubbers"

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
GMDLM

Old 05-07-2001, 12:05 PM   #19
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Donut - It sounds like you traveled extensively in the southeastern part of the USA. Was it a tour? Personally grits are not one of my more favorite foods. I'll eat them but only with sugar and butter. During my army days, I was at Ft. Bragg North Carolina going through a training school. I was assigned to a squad where I was a minority (Actually it was a great experience for me). All of my squad was African American, but me and one other. The first day we all went to breakfest they about laughed me out of the mess hall for eating my grits with butter and sugar. They all eat them with salt and pepper (YUCK!!!).

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
if you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Old 05-07-2001, 12:19 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Ramon!

You told me you would have that slow connection so I never expected to see you here on the board yet, dear vampire TEEHEE!

As to all that currency- do keep it as mementos! I have some of my own kicking about. Rubles and kopeks, of course and some money from my brief stop in Helsinki and my week in Amsterdam. Even have lire and several other currencies from the Beriozki shops in Moscow and environs. Those were hard currency only shops back in the days of the Soviet Union. And since Soviet citizens were forbidden to posess foreign money,the shops were effectively only for foreigners to use.

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 05-07-2001).]