Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

My cat, Mr. Poe, is a siamese/himalayan mix, 14.5 years. He looks a *LOT* like Choc, and I actually got him from a breeder in Lakeland, so who knows? He's family to me, but I'm afraid he's using up his 9th life. Starting about 3 weeks ago, he stopped eating. Not completely, but I noticed his bowl wasn't being emptied. Last Tuesday I came home and found him drooling & having trouble with his hindquarters when he walked. I took him to a vet, and the blood work showed severe dehydration and elevated creatine (sp?) and BUN count. Both are symptoms of kidney failure. They put him on an IV to rehydrate him, and as his fluid level improved, the blood work did too. But the problem with his legs worsened. Now he's having trouble with all 4 -- he basically can't walk. The Dr. noticed a decrease in blood flow to his legs, meaning the muscles aren't getting the oxygen they need, so they're weak. X-rays and an ultrasound showed nothing -- no clots, no evidence of stroke or heart attack. He's still not eating so now he's on a liquid diet using a feeding tube up his nose. Since the 3 doctors at this place admitted they can't explain it, they said it's just "wait & see", unless I wanted to try something radical like going to a veterinary college hospital where they could inject dye in his blood & trace it more completely. I brought him home Saturday evening, and have been feeding & medicating him hourly, well, during the work week it'll be morning/lunch/ and evenings on the hour. I've got an appointment with another vet tomorrow, but I admit -- I'm scared.

Has anybody heard of anything similar, and how did it turn out?
--Thanks

[ 08-10-2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: VulcanRider ]

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Thats how my cat died, but it was much more progressive. It happened over years. But there was one day, where he came out of the bush wobbling, dizzy, and somewhat bloody. He couldn't get out of his bed once he got onto it. He died a month and a half later, even due to the large amounts of veteranary intervention.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Did your vet determine a cause? I'd like to have a specific suggestion when I talk to mine tomorrow.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

He couldn't. He thought it was a stroke, but she saw no signs. He also had kidney failure for many years. Just make sure to give him plently of water to flush out his system, as his kidneys can't.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Sorry to hear. I'm not vet, but I know how scary it is to have a furry friend who is sick. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

my dog had something like that happen.,both his kidneys were gone. it took about a year and a half ffor him to die.Just make your cat comfortable.Thats about all you can do.I'm sorry.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Mr. Poe passed away this morning.

So long Poe, you were the best. I'll miss you...

His roommate, Sue (on the left) is a 13yr old Tonkinese. She keeps searching & calling for him. I hope she doesn't mourn herself into the grave. I had that happen with 2 other pets who lived together from birth. Losing one hurts enough...

-----
Old 08-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'm so sorry my friend, don't worry, he's up there watching you from heaven now.

He REALLY did look like Choc.. He could have been Choc's Dad, who knows! Wow!

My previous god--cat Charly died at 16.4 years, and of the same thing. his back legs stopped working too. I totally lost it for days. It killed me. From 1st grade till 1997. He was my child.

Make a dedication page for your King, for all to see!! (I saved those pics too! very beautiful animals).

Dan
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

I'm very sorry for your loss, we too have a Poe (a purebred Siamese, Edgar when he's being naughty) and he's getting up there in age too (12 currently). We all know they can't live forever, but that doesn't make it any easier when we lose one.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I'm so sorry my friend, don't worry, he's up there watching you from heaven now.

He REALLY did look like Choc.. He could have been Choc's Dad, who knows! Wow!

My previous god--cat Charly died at 16.4 years, and of the same thing. his back legs stopped working too. I totally lost it for days. It killed me. From 1st grade till 1997. He was my child.

Make a dedication page for your King, for all to see!! (I saved those pics too! very beautiful animals).

Dan
Thanks. Poe never fathered a litter but he might be an uncle. I got him from a breeder north of Lakeland (from the mall take 98 about 5 miles IIRC). They crossed a male registered Siamese with a female registered Himalayan and had litters that looked like that.

-----