Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

It looks like ATI has announced the release of the Radeon 9800 Pro. Check the link for benchmarks.
It looks like although nVidia has a faster memory clock speed, ATI still wins out with higher memory bandwidth. If you want realistic looking graphics and anti aliasing it looks like ATI has dethroned nVidia.

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/fe...003-03-05.html

[ 03-08-2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 03-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I prefer ATI graphic cards because it is cheaper than nVidia graphic cards.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

I think Nvidia cards are cheaper texel for texel, but Ive never done a proper comparison.

Still, I am not impressed with the GFX. It looks to me that technology that is pushed to its limit. A standard operating temperature that high cannot be good, and apparently its loud enough to hear in the next room.

Im thinking that Nvidia had better do something radical with the GFXs successor, if they dont want ATI to take the graphics market entirely.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
I think Nvidia cards are cheaper texel for texel, but Ive never done a proper comparison.

Still, I am not impressed with the GFX. It looks to me that technology that is pushed to its limit. A standard operating temperature that high cannot be good, and apparently its loud enough to hear in the next room.

Im thinking that Nvidia had better do something radical with the GFXs successor, if they dont want ATI to take the graphics market entirely.
I agree, I think Nvidia was sitting around letting the Geforce2 and 3 carry it, while not producing and new tech. Even the Geforce 4 isn't any real huge improvement over the Geforce 3. The FX was probably released as a makeshift until nVidia could get their act together. Only problem with ATI that I see, is some compatibility issues since most companies have been optimizing for nVidia.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

well, if nVidia don't want competition, it can just buy out ATI like it did to 3dfx.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:58 PM   #6
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I don't mind it when companies like ATI aggressively pursue the market, nVidia did the same thing to 3dfx that ATI is trying to do to nVidia.

Just when you thought competetion was dead. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

nVidia will likely pull it's socks up and build a better nextgen product, and the consumer will win again with lower, competitive pricing.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
I don't mind it when companies like ATI aggressively pursue the market, nVidia did the same thing to 3dfx that ATI is trying to do to nVidia.

Just when you thought competetion was dead. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

nVidia will likely pull it's socks up and build a better nextgen product, and the consumer will win again with lower, competitive pricing.
Exactly, in fact, competition in the vid card market couldn't be better. 3DLabs is back up and running again even SiS is releasing video card chipsets directly aimed at NVidia's MX line up, but with programmable shaders and for less money to boot.

Finally, nVidia's reign of ridiculous pricing can come to an end with the majority of PC gamers being able to run decent cards. I can't remember where I saw it, but about 85% of all 3DMark benchmarks were run using Geforce 2 class cards.

This is great for gamers, as software companies will begin to produce games using advanced features for better looking graphics since the majority of people can afford advanced cards.

Edit: typos (broken fingers)

[ 03-08-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 03-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Wow,
Nvidia has yet to reclaim the throne?? Geez, Ati took the lead last Fall with the 9700pro. In the graphics market, that's an eternity.

Nvidia does not have the capital to acquire Ati, and vice versa. Both are the two real main companies left. Ati does both, build and sell copyright. Nvidia only produces technology and sells the rights to use it. I really don't think they have fully recovered from the 3Dfx days.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.