Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-31-2001, 03:34 PM   #1
Magnus the Monk

If I remember correctly from the DM guide, a Vorpal Sword is one-handed. I also remember seeing portraits of adventurers wielding the sword with one hand. So why did BG2 make it a 2-handed sword? My guess is that it's way to deadly for a "tank" to wield the Vorpal and Crom Faeyr together.

Old 01-31-2001, 03:41 PM   #2
Kalgrog

Yea, I think you're right. Seems all the best swords are two handed in this game. Also, wasn't Excalibur a vorpal sword? That is one handed also. So, they just bastardized the sword to make it seem not too powerful in their eyes. If you are going to claim to make a AD&D game or one that uses those rules and such, seems you should try to be a little more true to the original and not make changes because you think it is too powerful.

Old 01-31-2001, 04:00 PM   #3
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I always thought it was two-handed, but it would be embarassing to admit how long ago it was when I was actively playing D&D (missing the "A"). I also thought the sword was usually +5, but that would really mess up BG2.
Old 01-31-2001, 04:29 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The original AD&D Vorpal was +2 but could be any type sword. My percetanges are probably off but it was something like LS-75%,SS 10%,BS10%, THS 5%. However I think it should take two hands to lop off somethings head so I like the BGII vorpal
Old 01-31-2001, 04:42 PM   #5
Kalgrog

I think what Lord of Alcohol said is probably true, it rings a bell. But, I think most of the vorpal swords I remember hearing about were one-handed. Also, wasn't a "sword of sharpness" a synonym for vorpal sword? I think it is. I looked up Excalibur, it was a +5 sword of sharpness.

Excalibur
Given to Arthur by the Lady in the Lake in return for a favor to be named later, Excalibur is the magical sword which gave Arthur the power to unite the kingdoms of Britain. Its origins are as misty as the location of Avalon, but it is clear that the weapon was forged by some supernatural being in order to assist worthy kings in defending Britain. Excalibur is a sword of sharpness +5 that can only be wielded by a Lawful Good warrior of 18 strength or greater. If stolen, taken by treachery, or lifted in an evil cause, Excalibur will break upon contact with another weapon. It can only be mended by returning all of the resulting pieces to the Lady of the Lake, she will only mend it for a worthy king, such as Arthur.
As valuable as Excalibur itself is the sword’s scabbard which prevents blood from flowing from its wearers wounds. Anyone wearing the scabbard suffers damage from bludgeoning, magic, fire, and other forms of non-cutting attacks. The scabbard only functions for a Lawful Good wearer.

This quote is from Legends and Lore, on the TSR web page here

Old 01-31-2001, 05:10 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The Sword of Sharpness (original, not Arthurs) is +1 but equivilant to +2 (I think) in terms of being able to hit magical monsters. It didnt chop off the head but limbs instead.
Old 01-31-2001, 08:00 PM   #7
G.W.

They should've made it a bastard sword. Not enough of those in the game.