Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-22-2000, 08:49 AM   #1
UnForGiven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would like to know what my fellow mages think is the best equipment a mage could have.I think that a mage should have the following.
armour: robe of the good archmage(depending on allignment)
cloak:cloak of reflection or somthing
boots: boots of speed
rings:Gaax ring and xtra 4th,5th,6th spells ring
girdle:any suggestions?
gauntlets: AC 3.(still looking for a better set)
weapons:Everonds sling+5, staff of the archmage( plz tell me the whereabouts

anyways im not to far in the game so i dont actually have all those items and am still looking for more. But voice your oppinions if u will.
Old 10-22-2000, 11:25 AM   #2
Illusionist

I prefer the Robe of Vecna. (Lowers casting time by 4, sets AC to 5 and gives =10 magic resistance.)

Everard's sling is way cool, certainly, but if you dual your mage from thief then you can use a short bow, in which case I'd recommend the Tuigan Bow +1 (3 shots per round). Umm, if you use this, keep plenty of arrows handy, 'caise you sure burn through them fast.

Don't like the boots of speed on a mage, since I don't want them walking into a battle in front of the fighters.

I absolutely adore the Amulet of Power (vocalize, decrease casting time by 1, immune to level drain). As for a belt, my mage uses the girdle of piercing, since I never have her in the front line, the only thing that is likely to hit her is spells or arrows.

If you want to know where to find any of these things, say so and I'll spoil you.

Old 10-22-2000, 04:12 PM   #3
Viridi

please do

Old 10-22-2000, 04:22 PM   #4
A Mage named Rikard

I've got 2 mages in my mp game one necromancer and a sorcerer and
one has the robe of the good archmage (from bg1)
those gauntlets of AC3
the amulet of metaspell influence (BG1)
ring of protection +2 (BG1)
sling +5
the dagger of level draining

the other has
the robe of the aprenti (AC3)
sling+4
staffspear+2
ring of earth control (+1 AC)

but these are both very offencive and use up there spells very fast but the can do damage with there normal weapons a lot exspecialy the necromancer
also havea a familiar

Old 10-22-2000, 10:00 PM   #5
UnForGiven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yer I also have the amulet of power, very cewl indeed. You wouldnt happen to know where i can find the staff of the archmage would you? I agree with you on the robe of vecna aswell, i just bought it and its alot better than the robe of the good archmage.
Old 11-17-2000, 03:12 PM   #6
GIZMO

This is what my Sorceror has

Adventurer's Robe
Staff of the Magi
Dagger +2 Longtooth
Boots of Avoidance
Amulet of Power (Protects from Level Drain)
Bracers AC3
Ring of Free Action
Ring of Regeneration

He is at Level 17.

Old 11-17-2000, 03:33 PM   #7
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Find the twisted rune for the Staff of the Magi and do the Mage stronghold for the Staff of power. as for a Staff of the Archmage, there isn't one in the game, although the two listed above make up for it.
Old 11-17-2000, 04:59 PM   #8
Suul-Yinn

The belt of Inertial barrier is very useful to stop spells disrupting your spellcaster. The boots of avoidance stop them being shot full of arrows, again preventing spellcasting and the bracers of AC3 also help. The amulet of Power is a must as is the cloak of mirrowing. A ring of wizadry and the ring of gaxx round things of nicely and for those rare hand to hand encounters, the staff of power.

Old 11-17-2000, 08:44 PM   #9
Armisael

Jeez, talk about going all-out. A mage decked out in that stuff could take on the world alone. : P

Old 11-17-2000, 08:59 PM   #10
Suul-Yinn

I know and don't forget she is a multiclass thief who carries the Sword of Roses for x5 backstabbing and Tasherons bow for back-up. Biggest overkill was a critical backstab x5 on a kobold commando for 100 damage! And I didn't even modify her 8 STR!