Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2001, 08:12 AM   #1
bigman

i have read posts talking about how easily a dragon went down but i am at a loss...my party is average level 10/11...is that too low a level to bother trying? My sole magic user is Nalia and she can't cast 6th level spells yet...i have a Pierce Magic scroll, Greater Malison scroll, and Nalia can cast Breach...does Magic Resistance work? It says it will actually lower the MR if the person you are casting it on has a higher MR than what the spell would grant...

i want to kill dragons too!

oh yeah, i have the Dragon Slayer sword/shield/helmet but it doesn't seem to do much damage...my Ranger even chose Dragon as his Racial Enemy but i did not see the damage to reflect this fact.......any help would be welcome....

Old 01-31-2001, 08:20 AM   #2
UserFriendly

read below if you want a cheesy and really easyway to kill dragons.
Abolute spoiler, you WON'T have aby fun out of it.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
get wand of cloudkill, sell to any shopkeeper and buy back
now it has 50 charges
talk to dragon, then retreat until he turns invisible
(you're out of visual range)
cast cloudkill near him.
keep casting
he won't attack and will do a funny LA resident impersonation (smog)
result, one dead giant lizard.

Old 01-31-2001, 08:44 AM   #3
Keill
Welcomed New User

SPOILER!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
An even easier way I found, and used, is have a thief(pref a bounty hunter)...I have Yoshimo. Just keep setting traps around the dragon while he is still blue, resting, set more traps...after about maybe 8-10 traps, that should shut him up. When I tried it, after I had set multiple traps around him, I talked to him to make him hostile, and he didn't even have a chance to do anything, just fell down dead. This will work for anyone else who isn't immediately hostile but needs a bit of interaction to turn hostile.

Another tip is:if you don't want to rest, and I didn't, just click dual-class, then cancel for the thief. This will reset his snares ability and you can keep setting traps. This will take no time at all.
Old 01-31-2001, 09:03 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Bigman: I had a relatively low-level party too. But my Skald (pc) had one slot with a magic resistance spell, Jan had greater malison, wizard eye and a scroll of pierce magic and we both pelted the monster with magic missles while the clerics cast summon (various reatures/ elementals) protection from fire, bless, chant, etc.

The warriors went up behind the dragon while the summoned creatures had most of it's attention. They both got fried just before the dragon went down. Had to bring them back with the cleric spells.
Old 01-31-2001, 09:04 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

doh! That should read, My Skald had a LOWER magic resistance spell!
Old 01-31-2001, 03:48 PM   #6
masteraleph
Elminster

Yes, Magic Resistance (the cleric spell...fifth level, I think?) does work, and does actually lower his resistance. Go ahead and try to feeblemind him from there, it may take a few tries, but once you get it, he just sits there while you wail on him. Also, the cloudkill wand thing that someone else mentioned works as well.
Old 01-31-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I've tried all of the tactics listed above. A few notes:

1) If all you do is set traps and don't do any other damage, you will not get ANY experience points for killing the dragon.

2) Wand of Cloudkill is just plain boring. Effective, but boring.

3) Magic Resistance, Lower Resistance x 3, Magic Missle x 24 was fun.

Also try summoning creatures/elementals as blockers. After they get wing buffetted away, move in with tanks. When they get blown away, bring back the creatures/elementals. Use Mages with ranged spells. Ranged weapons don't work all that well as you need such a high bonus to hit. If this doesn't seem to be working and you really feel the need, "soften" up the dragon with strategy 1 or 2 before bringing in the tanks.