Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #11
quietman1920

Hey, I Like NWN....
Old 09-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #12
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Halo was overrated. It had a lame plot, boring repetitious combat, and lame weapons. The only redeeming feature was the Warthog...lots of fun with it...
Old 09-24-2003, 05:39 PM   #13
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

maybe because they say it's overrated because you can't play it on gamespy? I don't know I didn't play some of the games there.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:58 PM   #14
Beoulve
The Magister

Overrated != not good, everyone. They say that a lot of the games on that list were indeed good, but way, way, way blown out of proportion.

I personally feel that FF7 is not high ENOUGH on the list. I have never, in my life, seen so many dedicated fanboys for any game, ever. What makes it even more confusing, just for me at least, is why. I thought it was the epitome of bland.

As for Black and White, I don't feel that's overrated at all. I hadn't even heard about the game until an expansion was made for it. It went under my radar, hence, it is not exactly able to be overrated.

What I want to know is how Devil May Cry 2 is not up there.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #15
Stratos
Vampire

Keep in mind, folks, that overrated doesn't mean bad. Just that the pre-release hype was blown out of proportions. If you sincererly believe that a upcoming game will be the Ultimate gaming experience you're bound to be disappointed. As a matter of fact, if you're naive enough to believe that then suit yourself. Perhaps next time you will have a more realistic view on a game not released yet.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:02 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I agree with the list. Add ToEE in about #11, though. Enter the Matrix was good, I liked it, but it wasn't THAT good -- ergo, it was overrated. In fact, it was worth playing just to see the additional movies. But, the combat was loose (hit a bunch of buttons to win) and anything over "Easy" difficulty had the computer opponents moving at rates that were simply unrealistic and cartooney.

I took one look at the graphics on NWN, and didn't buy it.

I bought Metal Gear Solid 2, played it twice, and have shelved it. If anyone wants a free game, lemme know and I'll send it to you for the price of postage -- be forewarned, though: it was so bad I took it outside and peed on it.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:09 PM   #17
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Well it all really depends on how they judge it. Black & White was overrated, but hey I love the game. I mean the amount of gossip and glory it amounted compared to the sales is not a pretty picture. I also agree with them that NWN is overrated, so is Morrowind (I still feel that Arena is the best game in the Elder scrolls series). MM9 is sadly lacking from the list though.
Thank you my dear Willow [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will admit, trying to master the controls at Black and White was a pain, but once you get them down the game is great.

Ahh yes, Final Fantasy VII, the never ending dilemma on why it's so popular, let's take a look shall we?

You had the majority of your game systems, Sega, Super Ninetendo, and so forth and some of them had RPG's like Zelda which are awesome games. And to be honest, when I was a wee lad wandering through the video store, I would often want to get the Sega Saturn (ehhh) and eventually that day did come. I was disappointed to be honest, but then I saw FF7 on PS1. FF7 is actually the reason why I got my Playstation so I could play it, and I have to say it was a great game, still is. Final Fantasy VII was like the stepping stone for game graphics and RPG's at the time, but now a lot of people look down on it because they didn't play it when it first came out and usually compare it to other games which you can't do [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Same goes for Grandia and other RPG classics.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:57 PM   #18
Zero Alpha

25. Neverwinter Nights (didnt play much)
24. Super Mario Sunshine (This game was Great!)
23. Battle Arena Toshinden (tekken 3 was better)
22. Starfleet Command Series (Star wars games > Star Trek games)
21. Morrowind (Biggest single environment. ever)
20. Impossible Creatures (never played)
19. Battlecruiser 3000AD (never played)
18. American McGee's Alice (Nice Game. Fun too)
17. The Getaway (i have no idea)
16. Mortal Kombat (Classic + fun)
15. Dungeon Siege (nice engine, shame about the game)
14. Dead or Alive 3 (never played it)
13. Battletoads (its too old for this list)
12. Unreal II: The Awakening (The next generation in high graphics tedium)
11. Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (never played)
10. Halo (Intended for PC)
9. Donkey Kong Country (Great fun for a while)
8. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (No. just No)
7. Final Fantasy VII (RPG GOD)
6. Blinx: The Time Sweeper (Eww its on Xbox)
5. Quake II (Engine was fantasic, game was brown [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] )
4. Daikatana (OMG MY EYES)
3. Enter The Matrix (BAD Max Payne Clone)
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Same as the First)
1. Black & White (Coding Genius + Fun)

[ 09-24-2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 09-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #19
Azimaith
Manshoon

I also think that Gamespy is incredibly biased in what games they do put as good ones. Lets take for example NWN, I don't believe that is hosted by gamespy network but lo and behold, its at the top of the most overatted games list! Wowee what a surprise. In short most games that aren't hosted on gamespy are gonna be up there. Gamespy can't give a non financially influenced survey, they are incapable of it. All they do is run around swallowing up smaller, often times more efficient online gaming services and absorb them into their innefficient, slow, molasses like interface and servers. In short gamespy bites.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #20
SomeGuy
Unicorn

O_O... I think I played BattleToads... Heck I played that when I was 5!
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi