Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2001, 02:34 AM   #1
netnusa

Can anyone help me get out of the Stout Mines. Have played the game without looking for hints and spoilers up to THIS point but am at wits end... Have read all of the other writ related posts (I think) and here's what I know so far...

1. Didn't automatically get the writ back when I came in the mines. (all characters had inventory space when I entered)
2. Don't have any unidentified ?scrolls? that could be the writ.
3. Have searched the mines (as well as the other related posts) and could not find any other writs.
4. I am a semi-frequent saver and oldest save file I have is when I'm already in the mine.
5. At wits end!!!!
6. Do not want to restart the entire game from the beginning.

Please, if you have ANY way to help I would greatly appreciate it. I hope the answer makes me look like a fool - cause that's what I feel like! Game has been very exciting up until this point... After 4 days of searching, getting frustrated. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-25-2001, 05:47 AM   #2
Tarweed

I had trouble getting out too. To get in I bribed the gatekeeper
with some "drink" - Booger Brew in my case. He then "found" a
writ and gave it to me OK. But somewhere along the way it disappeared
and I had to bribe him again to get another when I went to go out.
If by any chance you have some drink of any kind, try talking to him
until the subject comes up.
If all else fails and you have no saved games before the mines, let me
know and I can try to hack a savegame file to add a writ and/or brew
(I did this once myself to get the Heretic's Key in the Serpent Temple).
Old 01-25-2001, 11:55 AM   #3
netnusa

I don't have any booger brew (forgot to add that to my list). I will go back and try to give the box anything in my inventory to see if I can get out. If so - post what worked. If not - I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for the offer and the assistance!
Old 01-25-2001, 02:07 PM   #4
netnusa

Have gotten him to talk about trading ale for passage. Tried "using" all items in all characters inventory - nothing! Have tried trading with all friendly stouts in the mine - nothing! I hate to have to resort to hex editing the sav game file, but I think I'm left with no other alternatives. If someone would be willing to send me the hex values needed to replace one of the single slot non-stackable items in my inventory for the writ, I would be forever grateful. I have all of the varieties of gold bars as well as the common single slot non stackable potions like poison bomb. Thanks!

Should I have known somehow to grab the writ back or is this a bug with the game???
Old 01-25-2001, 02:52 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

Not that I'm advocating murder, but what happens if you kill the gatekeeper?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 03:22 PM   #6
netnusa

skywalker - I've tried that as a last resort but can't get too him. Spells dont go through the grate and I can't get through the back door. Didn't even think I could get to the back door until I switched to my faerie - she was able to make it through the narrow corridor in back. Looked for switches to open door but no luck. Every spell that I can get to materialize under him (flamedrop etc..) does no damage. Not sure killing him would help anyway since you can see the lever for one of the doors (I'm assuming the main door) on the wall. Thanks for the attempt though, if you have anything else I''m willing to give it a try!!!
Old 01-25-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Tarweed

Send me a Zipped version of your savegame file, as a mail attachment, and
I'll see what I can do. No promises. Also, say what item you want changed.
r.robinson!gns.cri.nz
The "!" is an anti spam thing; replace it with the usual @ when sending.
Old 01-25-2001, 07:01 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I've already hacked a "Miner's Permit" for another player.

The hexcode before the "Miner's Permit" is A6 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 10:44 AM   #9
Magnus

How do I get the Writ in the first place in order to get in!
Old 01-26-2001, 02:58 PM   #10
netnusa

I'm OUT!! I used the hex information posted by Wyvern to edit my savegame and replaced one of the 8K bars of gold with the writ. Many thanks to Wyvern and Tarweed for editing my save game file in case I wasn't able to do it myself. Here's something kind of funny...
When I went into the game with the writ in my inventory, I put it in the drawer. He (can't remember his name right now, guess my mind is clouded with anger at him for not letting me out!) went to open the door and the drawer came out and automatically put the ?scroll? back into my inventory (like he's supposed to). Well, when the game loaded for the open exit door, it automatically started loading again to close the exit door. I thought "Oh No! Will I never get out of here!". I happened to notice in the text box that my Ninja (who gave him the ORIGINAL permit to get in) had received a ?scroll?. After the game finished loading the closed exit door. Sure enough, I checked my inventory and I had TWO scrolls - they gave me back my original!!! Thought this was really funny, kind of like the game saying "Oops! Sorry! Here you go!". Used one of the permits again and this time when the game loaded for the open exit door - it stayed open. I thought this was pretty funny - then again I've always been told I'm a little twisted! Hope you all get a little chuckle from this.