Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-10-2002, 11:44 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hello everyone! Im sure lots of you have viewed my Insightful Prose thread for my AP Lang&Comp final, and if you havnt just check it out real fast so u know where im comnig form here.

Well thats the 2nd part of the final. The 1st part is reading a piece of poetry or prose we wrote ourselves. So heres mine, tell me whatcha think! For all those who wanted to see my free-verse poetry, this is it, though not my best quality

Fingers pressing easily on mother-of-pearl keys
Staring out into a crowd
Faces both familiar and not
Notes flowing smoothly in a well-rounded tone
Taking rhythms from nowhere
And relaying them to the anticipating masses
Drawing to a close
Choking the last note off abruptly
Recieving enthusiastic cheers and applause
Or a standing ovation
This is what playing saxaphone brings you
And i would never change it

So there it is, rather proud of my 10 minute work
Any recommendations for fixing it up or making it more dramatic are welcome also
Old 06-11-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Great stuff Jen, I was picturing you on the stage in one of those poet cafe things with a beret and little round glasses on.

Wish I was better at literature - poems, stories, the works but I have trouble putting my thoughts on paper
Old 06-11-2002, 12:22 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

You might try accentuating how the faces in the crowd are both familiar and not; something like "faces in the crowd/strangely familiar and familiarly strange" or something like that, taking advantage of the turn-around of the two words.
Also, you state that playing the saxophone brings cheers and applause, but what does it really bring you on a personal level? It never hurts to let the reader know where you go emotionally when you play, or how it feels when you play for others.
Finally, I would find somewhere else from which to have rythyms originate than "nowhere"; from your soul, perhaps.

For 10 minutes, not bad at all. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:29 AM   #4
DeSoya
Manshoon

I'd make the following changes. They're kinda subtle... I took them straight out of your verse so read closely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03
Fingers press easy on mother-of-pearl keys
I Stare over a crowd
>Faces both familiar and not<
Notes flow smoothly in a well-rounded tone
Taking rhythms from nowhere.
Drawing to a close
The last note abruptly chokes off
enthusiastic cheers or a standing ovation
This is what playing saxaphone is.
I would never change it.
I'd rephrase the line in ><. I'm not sure what do with it. I just think that it would be a little bit better if it were a tad more terse. Right now the description seems clumsy. Another thought that I had for the second line was "Stareing into a crowded room".

It's a good bit of free verse. I want more personal details in it tho'. The mother-of-pearl keys is a kind of an intimate detail that really helps connect you and the reader. I hate to say this because it's so contrary to what I usually say but I think you use too many adverbs. I cut alot of lys and ings. Ummmmm... yeah. Don't be afraid to use punctuation either. Keep it up.

DeSoya

[ 06-11-2002, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: DeSoya ]
Old 06-11-2002, 03:09 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
Great stuff Jen, I was picturing you on the stage in one of those poet cafe things with a beret and little round glasses on.

And now dunda.. you have just scared my fragile little mind [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]