Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-11-2001, 07:54 AM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Please go to this thread and give your input.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...&f=10&t=005089

Thanks
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-11-2001, 11:41 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just to lend my support to this. Vaskez is looking for ways to improve the computer AI for a BG2/ToB MOD he will be releasing soon. Please click on the link and let him know what scripting improvements you would be looking for.

Some of the improvements he's already come up with are:

- Enemies will help each other if in trouble (by ganging up on attacker of most injured comrade) not act as if they were one-man fighting machines.
- Divide and conquer no longer works because enemies shout a warning which is heard by all companions in sight as soon as they see the player
- Enemies will leave party members who cannot harm them until last....for example clay golems will switch targets if they take no damage from an attack.
- Intelligent enemies such as humaoids will have leaders and a wingman system where the leader shouts orders and they obey like a proper 'army', making them more effective in combat.
- Enemies will try and do something if their target is immune to their weapon as opposed to just hacking away (effect depends on creature)
- If the player runs out of sight an enemy will not simply "forget" that he was fighting the player 10 seconds ago and quit following. Once an enemy has gained sight of the player, they will hunt him/her down if they are still in the same area.
- Thief characters and others with trap setting skills will set snares all over the place once they know of the player's presence and are out of sight of the player.
- Mages and priests will actually check if it is worth casting a spell on an oponent....they will not waste fire spells on characters with high fire resistance for example.....and they will not cast confusion or fear for example if the player is already helpless. Also they will react intelligently to the current situation beyone simple healing themselves if injured. Priests will cast slow poison and resist fear if companions are effected, will cast repulse and control undead and sunray if player is using skeletons to attack for example. But of course not ALL the time, an element of randomess is in there to keep players on their toes. Mages will use remove magic and dispel magic intelligently etc. etc. priests will not use hold against inquisitors and many many small improvements besides...
- More intelligent and widespread use of potions by humanoid enemies.
- Intelligent changing of weapons to suit the situation beyond simple "bow if player is more than 8 feet away otherwise sword". This includes, dropping shields to wield 2 weapons when better and picking up shield when defense is needed for example.

We'd love your support. Please click on this link or the one Vask provided above and post your suggestions there, not here. It'll make it easier for him to have all the comments on one thread. Don't be afraid...all opinions are welcome - nobody will make fun of you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 11-11-2001, 01:17 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hehe, thanks Memnoch, although "releasing soon" may not be entirely true.....we started on it on Septemeber 6th. Now TDD took 11 months. Ours will not take so long as the tools are better and the TDD makers were not so experienced when they started BUT it will be a few months yet....so expect it early next year.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:26 PM   #4
Sengmand
Dungeon Master

Sounds great and much better, but I can't help sorry.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:38 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just a bump for Vask. :cool:

Old 11-13-2001, 05:16 AM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Bah! You lot are useless!
Old 11-13-2001, 11:32 AM   #7
Russ
Manshoon

Checked the thread: this is really complicated. For instance, how does the enemy priest happen to know that you're an Inquisitor, rather than just some guy in heavy armour? An occasional ineffective spell is just as realistic for them as it is for the party...

In general, I think it's pretty good. I think that alignment is also a factor: although I think that military-style units should be well-coordinated, one wouldn't expect that sort of cooperation from the more chaotic critters, and that difference would add to game value.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:17 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I agree......each type of enemy will have the AI most suited to it. Orcs will not be as intelligent as humans but will be more intelligent than golems for example.