Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
dplax
Jack Burton

Anne

"Thank you for the warning Bas, but I'd still like to take a look at what is up at the top."

The rogue moved towards the cliff-face.

"I don't think Balth would be waiting up at the top."
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Man Who Fights Like Woman
Manshoon

Lorath's face lit up with amazement. One of them had actually listened to him and his good idea for once! He was somewhat less surprised that Anne was still going to climb the cliff, but didn't let that dissuade him from his chosen course of action.

"All right, have fun," he said as he started walking off. "I guess if you're really fast you might meet me at some point down the road, at least if you don't fall and break your neck. If anyone other than Bas and I wants to actually catch Balth, come on."
Man Who Fights Like Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
Reynolds
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spot idly runs the rope through her fingers, glancing back and forth as all the tall people continue to talk. She sighs, walking up to Anne and handing over a good amount of rope. The halfling stands, quietly watching, her feelings about the mysterious road of death already spoken.
Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #14
dplax
Jack Burton

Anne

Anne turned to face Lorath.

"You know, I'd rather face a danger that I know, be that climbing or even Balth, rather than wade unprepared into the unknown. Of the path from which no one has ever returned and the path which contains bandits and unknown beasts, which you probably can't avoid which one were you planning on trodding Lorath?"
Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Anne

The nimble rogue finished her talking and returned her attention to the cliff wall, taking the rope from Spot, slinging it over her shoulder and beginning the ascent.

Things went well for the first thirty feet or so, she had a close call about half of that distance up, but managed to hang on and continue. Just as she was about halfway up, however, disaster struck: What had appeared to be a safe handhold was a loose rock that tumbled away just as Anne had put her entire weight on it.

Suddenly unbalanced, she flailed about for a grip, which only succeeded at unbalancing her even more, and lost what little hold she still retained on the rock.

Accompanied by a brief expletive, she fell headfirst towards the ground, but managed to almost right herself before the impact, instead landing on her right arm, pinning it below her body and putting the entire force of the fall on it.

A cracking sound signalled that she had once again managed to break one of her bones, and the unmistakeable pain as fragments of the bone were driven through her skin and into surrounding muscle confirmed it. It felt like her forearm was what had been reduced to a broken skin sock full of jelly-like muscle and bone chunks, but since the pain was radiating all the way up to her shoulder, it was hard to pin down.

Lorath, Bas

Already some distance from the others, having walked while Anne climbed, they heard Anne's reflexive swearing and the heavy thump that accompanied the end of her fall behind them.

Were they to look around, they fould see the rogue behind them, apparently in considerable pain, with blood pooling under her and an arm that looked like a hand grenade full of bone splinters had exploded inside it.

In fact, as Lorath looked behind him on reflex to identify the source of the sound, he saw something odd: One of the strange purple cacti was missing. There had been one perched alongside the trail, one they had walked right past, and now it wasn't there any longer. It had been a huge one, too, with large, exposed root-like things which were as purple as the rest of the plant and each about as big as a human leg or arm, something they hadn't noticed on any of the other cacti in the area.

Bas noticed it, too, as well as something Lorath hadn't. There was a new cactus, which looked almost identical, at the top of the cliff which Anne had fallen from. He could swear on someone important's grave that he hadn't seen it there before.

Spot, Tamora

Spot and Tamora saw much the same, but from a more close-up perspective(in fact Spot had to get out of the way to avoid serving as a diminutive cushion for Anne's fall.).

On the bright side, the rope that Anne had borrowed from the halfling was still intact.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #16
Reynolds
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spot let out a curse of her own as she nimbly jumped aside, out of the path of the human missile. The halfling glanced at Tamora, before moving back towards the fallen woman, trying to help roll her off that broken limb and onto her back. "Don't try to move. Well, that looks like it hurts." She removed her hat, shaking her head. "If you weren't so big, I might've caught you in time. But you could've smushed me."

After scratching her head, she replaced the broad hat. The halfing tries to keep Anne still and calm, looking to Tamora again. "You know something about fixing this? Or you wanna go catch up to one of your friends and drag 'em back here?"
Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #17
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Bas paused to address Lorath before hurrying back to Anne's side.

"I have to go see if I can help her, if you wait a moment I'll return."

The druid rushed to Anne in order to cast a healing spell on her arm. He took one last glance up at the cactus on the cliff before devoting his full attention to her injury, checking the rest of her body for wounds after working on the arm.
Kazilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #18
Man Who Fights Like Woman
Manshoon

Lorath sighed. It seemed a more pleasant response than what he really wanted to do, which was point and laugh followed by an "I told you so," but he was able to restrain himself from that.

"Sure, go ahead and take care of her," Lorath replied to Bas as the druid went running off. He made a mental note of the missing purple cactus, and the roots which were oddly the same size as human limbs. It seemed unlikely, but it was possible that someone might have been trailing them in the guise of a cactus. Or, and this was much more likely, his eyes were playing tricks on him.

Regardless of the nature of the cactus, it looked like his suggestion was the one they were going to end up following and would have been better off following from the start, and not for the first time. There's no way they would be able to get Anne up that cliff now, at least not without some assistance from his magic, and even the odds with that were slim. While he waited for them to admit the inevitability of him being right he cast an Armor spell on himself, in case the bandits were branching off to the path he was taking or the purple cacti were hostile.
Man Who Fights Like Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #19
dplax
Jack Burton

Anne

Anne blinked, tears of pain welling up from her eyes. Two climbs since she had come to this new world and two failures. Had the fates allied themselves against her, placing unstable footholds along her way? Should she question her own ability? On her homeworld she had scaled similar and even harder cliffs with just minor scrapes and bruises.

Through the thick haze of pain disturbing her sight she saw the blurred shape of Bas healing her. Again. The pain lessened and her senses started returning to normal. Her eyesight cleared and her hearing resumed its normal sharpness.

She smiled feebly at Bas.

"Thank you Bas. I'd probably be in a dozen different pieces by now if it weren't for you. I hope I can repay you when the opportunity comes."
Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Tamora

Tamora had watched with horror as Anne fell and now knelt by the young woman’s side. “I’m sorry Anne,” she said. “that my indecision lead you to take the lead on this climb and you’ve been injured again.” She smiled faintly and, in an awkward attempt at humour, continued. “It seems the spirit’s of this place do not wish us to get to the top of any mountains.”

She looked at Bas, apologetic. “Learned One, thank you again and forgive me for not following your wisdom and taking the other trail. It seemed like a simple enough climb from here . . .” She trailed off and looked to Spot. “Are you sure this is a regular route? I would not expect the climb to be so loose if so.”
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote