Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2001, 05:45 PM   #21
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Well, you knew I had to answer this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
I will anger a lot of Ranger players on here but please explain to me the advantages of a ranger!
If you know that you will upset folks, why do you post this drivel anyways? Why must some people bash others? It really is not necessary....

To answer your question with one word: ROLEPLAYING.

This is a CRPG. A Computer Role-Playing Game. Based on the most popular PnP RPG universe of all time. People play it to enjoy the roleplaying aspect, and to be characters that they are not in real life. If you want a FPS, play Unreal. If you want a munchkin powergamers dream, play Diablo II. Baldur's Gate was intended to be a ROLEPLAYING game.

Many people choose character classes for the ROLEPLAYING. They choose to present a challenge to themselves. To enjoy the interplay of NPCs, the different quests, the new items and abilities.

I play rangers. Always. I've played other classes in the past, but now I play rangers exclusively. Why? Personal preference. I like the balance of the class. I pay homage to the first ranger, Aragorn. I agree with the "naturalist" idea. In PnP, they have a TON more abilities that aren't realized in the game. In every group session I've been in, the group will usually ask my ranger to lead the way, scout ahead, and rely on him as the "go-to" man for just about everything. In BG, TOSC, BGII, they can be EXTREMELY powerful, and balanced. I've never had a problem, even solo. And, I never use cheese tactics, or munckin-building practices...

This game can be finished with any class. Play it as such... Enjoy it. If you don't like rangers, don't play 'em. We won't miss you.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 05:50 PM   #22
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowblade:
Why would a ranger be so good with two weapons anyway. What makes them 'better' than others? Their love of nature?
In the original PnP rules that BG is based on, rangers just weren't nature loving scouts. They were a specialized band of men, who were trained to protect the lands along the wilderness. One of the fighting techniques they learned was "dual-weapon".

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 05:51 PM   #23
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Well said rudedawg.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 05:56 PM   #24
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
I've never had a problem, even solo. And, I never use cheese tactics, or munckin-building practices...
I've heard this somewhere else. What are munchkin-building practices? I am just curious...

Old 06-07-2001, 05:59 PM   #25
Shadowblade
The Magister

Yes they are for roleplaying!
I've never played diablo 2, but I have played diablo 1 and compleated it. I would like to say. It Sucks! When you play Baldur's gate games you are actually in a world. When you play Diablo everything is underground in a church! There is one blacksmith, the enemies are boring, and you get one of the best weapons at the start of the game.

Rangers are brillant, I would like to know what special abilities were taken out of the game!
Old 06-07-2001, 06:07 PM   #26
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Xod:
I've heard this somewhere else. What are munchkin-building practices? I am just curious...

"Munchkin" is a PnP gamer's term for a manufactured god.

Powergamers (and again, remember, I have NOTHING against powergamers, I just prefer roleplaying, myself) will often use certain techniques to boost their character stats, and spend HOURS devising the "perfect" combination of items to make their character invulnerable.

Using the same character in multiple paly-throughs of the same game, just to boost his stats, abilities and levels... Using the "all 18" cheat to roll a character... Using items and spells in ways that the programmers never intended to take avantage of the games AI... all of these are considered, by many, to be "munchkin tech"...

To illustrate:
Superman was not brave. He could not be hurt, so there was no fear in him. Of course stop a bullet, there was no danger to him.

Batman, on the other hand, was in constant danger. He had to rely on his skills to live.

Guess which one I would shake hands with....

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 06:12 PM   #27
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Gotcha. Thanks for the info RudeDawg.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:33 PM   #28
jabidas
Silver Dragon

That and the 60s batman was the thing. Do you have the intestinal fortitude to tune in next week where the dynamic duo mountain climb up a skyscraper again and Robin says darn it a lot.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 07:00 PM   #29
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowblade:
Rangers are brillant, I would like to know what special abilities were taken out of the game!
Wow, there are a lot... and they vary depending on which edition of D&D / AD&D you use...
When I get back home I'll check my books, but off the top of my head...

Scouting and advanced danger sense. Can't sneak up on a ranger. Like the barabarian in BG2, they are nearly impossible to backstab. They can sense nearby enemies, and hide in shadows.

They have access to ALL cleric spells, and a few of their own... (one of my favorites lets a Ranger "travel" between trees. Step into the shadow of a tree, step out of the shadows of a tree a mile away...)

Tracking: Not only can they track enemies, but they can also use the skill to hide their own passing. Cover yer tracks...

Racial enemies. Different in PnP. You get a new racial enemies every few levels (depending on which edition rules you are using) Start off as a gnoll hunter. Become a dragon-slayer, then a vampire hunter. Bonuses keep growing on your old racial enemies, At higher levels, you are deadly to the race....

Healing and hunting. If you play a detailed world, food and medicine can be a problem. Not with a ranger.

Charm animals. Again, more powerful in PnP. Eventually, you can have a wolf-pack on your side.

The list goes on, but I need to get to my materials to continue posting them....

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #30
Ravana
Dungeon Master

Well said rudedawg .
IMHO, I think the ranger kit should allow 3 prof. slots on dual wield (-2 and-4 penalties sucks bigtime), though 2 in standard weapon prof. is fair enough.
Also, does a duallled cleric (from ranger) get all druid spells. Or just upto lvl 3, as per usual?? I am playing a ranger in my present game and am planning on dualling pretty soon.

[This message has been edited by Ravana (edited 06-07-2001).]