Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-30-2001, 05:08 PM   #1
white heron
Manshoon

Having never played the original D&D or AD&D games,it was enlightening today to see a 2nd edition bestiary/beast manual,and massive forgotten realms map(sword coast is so tiny itsy bitsy).I looked up the LICH to find that it says you need a +1 weapon to hit?
...Am i getting it wrong or are there differences like this between 2nd and 3rd edition rules?
I know they had to tone down Beholders for BG2,but in the main ,have creatures basic stats',resistances,vulnerabilitys ect, changed between the rules sets?
thx

------------------
"I can carry no more! ,I must drop what you gave me upon the ground."
Old 03-30-2001, 05:49 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

You bet they have. The original AD&D game had various named demons and devils (like Jubilex and Asmodeus) which could be reasonably easily defeated by a party of maybe 6 to 8 characters of level 9 to 12. When the second edition came out, the most powerful demons and devils (I always hated the names "tanar'ri", etc.) could stomp a party of 6 to 8 characters of level 9 to 12; their powers were greatly increased. Some creatures' stats have remained the same (poor orcs have always had 1 HD) but many have changed as the editions have changed. *sigh* I've only been playing since 1982....

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 03-30-2001, 06:46 PM   #3
Lord Shield

The '+1 to hit' has changed, too. Now such targets have 'damage reduction'. So if you hit a lich with a non-magical boulder, he'll still feel it! (e.g., if you hit a monster with DR 5/+1 with a normal weapon for 14 points, it becomes 9 points of damage [less against mummies but that's another story]).