Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 04:43 PM   #11
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Has anyone else noticed that if you are sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher or a professor, that after a while they start to sound like a washing machine...?

I mean seriously, just this weird sound of bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, all the words just become the same soothing sound that makes you want to go to bed and just sleep... what the hell is that, do the get special training or something.

Or am I just always very tired these days...? [img]smile.gif[/img]
When I was teaching classes, there were no criticisms of my voice, to be sure....but being late to class? Oh yeah.

When I started eight or so years ago, I took Plato's style to heart. A conversive style, equal to equal, rather than speaking down to students. As they were all older than me it proved prudent. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think the key is this.

If a teacher enjoys teaching, and loves the subject, that translates to the students. If either of those two is not present (hates teaching or hates subject) there is a problem. They don't want to be there and so neither do you.

I loved my students, love music, and theology, and love communicating, so I was as happy as a pig in $hyt.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 10-15-2002, 05:03 PM   #12
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
Be careful with boring teachers... unfortunately they know how to wake students up.

I had one who used to either bash a chair very loudly on the floor, or smack your desk with a ruler, or just watch you... that is creepy.
I had one in H.S. who's untilame, er, I mean ultimate goal every day was to see how many young people he could put to sleep. There was one day out of the whole year when every last one of us woke up when the bell rang. It really creeped me out.

Monotone professors are the worst. I have been either fortunate enough not to have had any since I started college or the one in H.S. conditioned me into believeing anyone that does not talk like he did is interesting enough to listen to. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: untilame?! [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]

[ 10-15-2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 10-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #13
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

My social teacher once talked for 40 minutes about the sexual habits of great French revolutionaries. [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

[ 10-15-2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 10-16-2002, 02:42 AM   #14
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzaku:
I guess I'll say a bit of both. Good profs and teachers can keep a class entertained for hours on end, but the bad ones will have you groaning the minute they walk in the door [img]tongue.gif[/img] (I know).
I disagree with your definition of a 'good teacher'... a good teacher isn`t necesarily entertaining or interesting, but rather they will make you learn the work. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 02:47 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by Suzaku:
I guess I'll say a bit of both. Good profs and teachers can keep a class entertained for hours on end, but the bad ones will have you groaning the minute they walk in the door [img]tongue.gif[/img] (I know).
I disagree with your definition of a 'good teacher'... a good teacher isn`t necesarily entertaining or interesting, but rather they will make you learn the work. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]And keeping them listening is half the battle. They're not going to learn anything if they're asleep. A good teacher is most certainly entertaining and interesting. The results speak for themselves. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 10-16-2002, 05:45 AM   #16
philip
Galvatron

[quote]Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

If a teacher enjoys teaching, and loves the subject, that translates to the students. If either of those two is not present (hates teaching or hates subject) there is a problem. They don't want to be there and so neither do you.
Nearly always true if you choose a subject yourself but if there is another system you also need students who like the subject.

Like I have now, I have chosen a profile which contains certain subjects I need for my future job. So you can say that you usually think those subjects are (at least a bit) interesting, cause there will be connectons to your future job. I like these most and so does nearly veryone else.

But there are also a couple of subjects everybody has to do, like Dutch, 1 year French and German (you can choose to do another 2 year after it), history. Then there has to be a teacher who enjoys it and isn't boring. Generally I like most subjects but I think subjects like French and German boring. That's where this kicks in. My French teacher likes it and now I start to like it a little bit as well instead of hating it last year when my teacher was boring. I still don't like German cause this teacher is boring and she can't keep the class quiet. Students are talking like 95% of the timean I doubt that if she talks more it would be more interesting. But those languagea are least popular and most people will drop at least one.

I have only 3 teachers who become boring after some time, my German (the 1 I mentioned above), my maths teacher (but with graphical calculators that problem is solved easily [img]smile.gif[/img] ) an my chemistry teacher, who forgets what he was saying when he has said half of his sentence.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:16 AM   #17
Sio

My IT teacher doesnt have a clue about IT! she reads straight from the text book and is in-capable of making a lesson good due to this, her computer is P166 and doesnt know where to begin to upgrade it, she is the one learnign from us!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 02:53 PM   #18
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Now this brings back some memories.

I had a U.S. History teacher my junior year in High School that would put me to sleep without fail - through no fault of his own. It's just that it was the last class of the day and he had a very soft (almost feminine) voice. I really had to struggle to hear him, even in the front of the class. And he talked in a very slow rythm. The subject and teacher were both interesting. He was a member of the local National Guard unit...and HEAVEN HELP any student he caught playing "swords" with the yardsticks up front. If he caught them, they had to fight him....and he was damn GOOD at it. He was surprisingly strong for his size too. He once broke up a fight and picked one of the boys up off the ground with one hand. Still - that voice and rythm would send me to dreamland almost every day.

AFA teachers who like to embarass students...I had one of the all-time greats. In our school system, Grades 7-8 were considered "middle school" and had all their classes in a separate building on the high school campus. This guy LOVED to absolutely TERRORIZE the 7th graders. The social heirarchy was very evident - 7th graders were the newbies and 8th graders were the Big Kids. He used this to his advantage one day. His last class of the day was an 8th grade class, but his homeroom students were 7th graders. One hapless 8th grader fell asleep in class. Since it was the last class of the day, it was not "ended" by the bell ringing (because the next bell signalled the end of the school day). Instead, all the teachers just dismissed the classes back to thier homerooms about 10 minutes before the Final Bell.

Well, the teacher REFUSED to let any of this kids classmates wake him up. Instead, he told them all to go and leave him where he was. When his 7th graders came into the classroom, they found this 8th grader snoring at one of their desks (kinda like the bears finding Goldilocks). The teacher waited until all his kids were back in the room, then took a huge dictionary and held it beside the 8th graders ear as he SLAMMED his paddle down on the cover.

The kid almost jumped out of his skin, much to the gleeful delight of all these 7th graders gathered around that were laughing at him.

Needless to say, he never fell asleep in class again.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:12 PM   #19
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I have the most hilarious latin teacher in the land-he's REALLY funny. I got some quotes for our school MSN community thing my friend Madeline set up:
Now, assorted rat type creatures…
Right now, my little munchkins.
If you're having trouble differentiating between a chair and a bed then you're gonna be in trouble (to Gary).
Anunciate your words so the deaf old fart can hear.
C'mon, little plankettes.
Small but significant… that sounds like you, Dean.
It's what God and I have in common: both giving Dean a little short one.
What are you looking for, Grant's IQ?
Adam probably does play on his own, but that's not the point.
I wouldn't put it in the same words, but 'you prick' near enough sums it up (re Adam's translating).
Burridge, stop corrupting that boy. He was nice and quiet before you got your hands on him.
Gary, put her down, you don't know where she's been.
Only 10 minutes of this fun packed adventure left.
Ferra's iron, so it's his iron thing. Brings back memories, eh Matt?
Could you please play with something that doesn't make a noise.
What's the story so far, Dean? Who's up where?
Joe, unless it's for something kinky, I can't see why you'd need a calculator. JOE: It IS kinky. LWD: Is it statistics? Are you comparing? Cos you'd need the small numbers for that.
Men, could you shut up? I use the term loosely.
We've just said it's puellae dative! Don't be such a PLANK!!

Latin is the best lesson in the school but I have several brilliant teachers and some poor ones [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 04:08 PM   #20
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

I have had a lot of bad apple teachers over the years

This one english teacher in HS...her class consisted of writing reports, and learning vocabulary. Thats all fine and good (half the work of my 11th grade teacher!) But...she never taught in the class, she would give us the list of words, she would tell us to memorized them, she would give is instructions for the reports...she would grade things, but she never actualy got down to doing anything but handing out or collecting papers.
so what did we do in class? socialize!! and apparently most of the class liked this since no one but me complained (and i only complained cuz she didnt like my writing style so graded me poorly)

My pre-calc teacher, a real work horse
nothing but work work work and more work, thats fine...but you could atleast not be a total ***** if someone doesnt understand it. If anyone ever asked her a question, and her repeating what she did before didnt solve it, then she got very condescending and rude to the student, she was not imaginative enough to explain it a different way.

in college, i had a general psych teacher that was VERY prideful of this neat little book he put together, all by himself! so guess what? he gets to put us to sleep every morning, and we just read his book to pass the tests (i got a 99 in his class and slept every morning) Youd think my mailing him, and telling him that his style of using a monotone voice and repeating everything 2-3 times is very very boring and so is not going to help me memorize this material would make him stop! but no, he says hes not here for my entertainment /sigh, guess hes there to be my nap time overseer.

Right now im taking a class that teaches stuff about computers, the teacher does the same thing as the psychology teacher did (they must be dating!) so everyone is *leaving* the class during her lecture every day, she penalizes if you dont sign the sign up sheet, so half the people sign it and leave, the other half go to sleep and read the book later to catch up.

Not that i havent had an equal number of really excellent teachers god i wish there were more of them around.