Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM   #11
Lord Shield

to be honest, it depends what area they took those statistics from. I'm not sayiong the stats aren't high, but I suspect they picked a bad neighbourhood to eomce up with 1:20

But yes, this would also include things like date rape and suchlike

Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
I was aware of this, though your post really reminded me that this is a frikkin f****** up world we live in.
Underage rape, paedophilia, is one of the most awful crimes that someone can commit. It gets me EXTREMELY worked up when I read/watch/hear it through the news.
Me too, Horatio
It's a good thing there are so many great things in life to keep you going, because you wouldn't have a whole lot of hope in humanity as a whole if not. Pretty damn ironic that a species that produces such wonderful things (like music, art, games, love) is capable of such atrocites.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:36 AM   #13
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I can make it even more "unbelievable" for you if you wish.
One in three women have experienced some kind of sexual threat, pressure or assault. It's as sad as that.
You may choose to disbelieve or disregard the facts, but your estimate of 1 in 20,000 is a whole lot more unrealistic than 1 in 20. Remember that a LOT of rapes take place in the woman's personal circle. Remember that if your boyfriend/partner/husband rapes you, it's STILL rape. It's a sad fact but it's true.
I'm with Melisine on this one. It is quite naive to think the figure 1 in 20000. Remember, those figures were throughout BRITAIN.
I had a friend in college who dropped out when she married a 43 year old (she was 18) he started abusing her, and the strain on her was easily noticed, both physically and mentally. We had a tight group of VERY close friends, and we had all been together for a very long time, so we were deeply troubled by this. None of us could do anything, though, as she wouldn't leave him (she was too afraid, and this adds more sadness to the story). It all got very messy, involving a few of us getting charged with assualt by our friend's husband. However, she did eventually go to the police and he is now serving 15 years (thank god). She has never really recovered from this, and still flinches A LOT and gets scared when she hears a car in the driveway. Also, the guy's family are real bastards, and keep giving her a hard time.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Sorry Dundee, but 1 in 20,000 would be utopic compared to the actual situation.
Source

Quote:
5 Sexual offences also saw an increase. Rape and outrage of modesty increased from 48 to 79 cases (64.6%) and from 423 to 535 cases (26.5%) respectively. As in the past years, the majority of the victims were raped by persons known to them- 67 out of 79 cases.
So we have 79 rapes in my country in the first half of 2002. Assuming another 79 in the second half, that means 158. The population is around 3.5 million, which means a ratio of roughly 1:22152.

I will find it hard to swallow that Britain has almost an 1000% number of rape cases.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #15
Horatio

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
I was aware of this, though your post really reminded me that this is a frikkin f****** up world we live in.
Underage rape, paedophilia, is one of the most awful crimes that someone can commit. It gets me EXTREMELY worked up when I read/watch/hear it through the news.
Me too, Horatio
It's a good thing there are so many great things in life to keep you going, because you wouldn't have a whole lot of hope in humanity as a whole if not. Pretty damn ironic that a species that produces such wonderful things (like music, art, games, love) is capable of such atrocites.
[/QUOTE]Is it not these achievements that make us capable? Those without love desire it, and therefore envy those who have it.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #16
uss
20th Level Warrior

This is very sad, Horatio . I heard that in a city in South Africa, EVERY SECOND woman is raped at least once!
The world truly is f***ed up..
Old 07-23-2002, 11:48 AM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
So we have 79 rapes in my country in the first half of 2002. Assuming another 79 in the second half, that means 158. The population is around 3.5 million, which means a ratio of roughly 1:22152.

I will find it hard to swallow that Britain has almost an 1000% number of rape cases.
Oh puh-lease! First, surely you can't be so naive as to assume that all the rapes that are committed are reported to the police? Second, I know little about the situation in you country, I was talking about Europe as well as mentioning South Africa.

I agree that 1 in 20 is a high rate, but it's not altogether implausible. Almost everybody here knows a woman who's been assaulted or raped, so that makes the estimate pretty plausible.

Uss, the situation in South Africa is indeed beyond terrible. I'm not sure about the exact stats (and to be honest, all this talk about stats goes past what is REALLY important - namely, that every rape committed is one too many) but it's a fact that a woman, or indeed child, is not safe from rape in South Africa - at all.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:52 AM   #18
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Problems:

Thats per year, this thread is talking about having been raped at some point.

Thats *reported* cases - and what percent goes reported? I dunno but I suspect its not high.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:54 AM   #19
Horatio

Dundee, forgive me if this is incorrect but I lived in Singapore for a time and found it to be one of the most law-abiding countries in the world. Also, it is VERY small. A trip to Africa may open your eyes a bit.
Amen Melusine, that's all I'm saying. Amen.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
Lord Shield

I once dated a South African girlk for about a year. The stories I heard of South Africa itself were horrendous. Particularly when the armies did their house-by-house rapes

But even in peace times, it's bad