Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2001, 09:58 AM   #151
Link
Jack Burton

The problem I'm facing with chapters, is that i don't want my game to be a "baldur's gate clone". I do hope you understand what that means; i have "spied" some things in the Baldur's Gate 2 game, but the best way to create a game is to be original in your concept. It's not fun to play the "same" game over and over again. If it is going to be a large game, i should consider a thing like chapters: not quite sure what to do about that, and advice is indeed most welcome here.
Still working on the quests thing, hoping to finish it someday soon. I have to tell you guys that i'll be on vacation in a couple of days, so you have to keep bumping this thing, and i promise work during the vacation!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 07-04-2001, 07:16 PM   #152
Bleys
Dungeon Master

What I mean by chapters is that if you are creating this yourself programming it in one go is probably a task that is going to take years, so you should split the game into chunks. Create one part of your world, make it available for people to play so they can give you feedback and use that to help sort out the mechanics of the game, then program new parts to your world and add them on, building the game up in bits instead of trying to create it in one big bit.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #153
Link
Jack Burton

I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if i will make the game myself. Not capable of doing that i guess. Might work the entire thing out, and send it to some companies for sale.

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 07-05-2001, 05:23 PM   #154
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

Ah, you've got quite the thing hoing on here. You are probably done with the background, but I'll tell you my idea anyway.

The Halfworld is the "center

of the universe", so to speak, and the world where we live, Earth, is just one world of many connected to the halfworld via this "stargate". There are, of course, other worlds. One where the Elves live, another where the Dwarfes originited from, another for the Orcs and so on. And here, in the Halfworld, is where all the fantasygames takes place. It has a blend of all these different races, where they have learned to live in symbiosis with each other and, in some cases, not.

This way it doesn't matter if you put the beginning in our time or the midievel, because the other races isn't from our world. "But how about the languages?", you say. Well, put it the other way around. In the beginning we all lived in the halfworld, but for some reason, (maybe because the Upholder arised and brought chaos and mayhem with him) people fled from the so paradisic world, to different worlds out there. The humans came to Earth.

Just a thought. i started reading this thread last night, so I haven't really thought it all out...yet. But I'm working on it. =)

Anyway, I'm glad if I can be of some help.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:24 PM   #155
The Magister

Ah, you've got quite the thing hoing on here. You are probably done with the background, but I'll tell you my idea anyway.

The Halfworld is the "center

of the universe", so to speak, and the world where we live, Earth, is just one world of many connected to the halfworld via this "stargate". There are, of course, other worlds. One where the Elves live, another where the Dwarfes originited from, another for the Orcs and so on. And here, in the Halfworld, is where all the fantasygames takes place. It has a blend of all these different races, where they have learned to live in symbiosis with each other and, in some cases, not.

This way it doesn't matter if you put the beginning in our time or the midievel, because the other races isn't from our world. "But how about the languages?", you say. Well, put it the other way around. In the beginning we all lived in the halfworld, but for some reason, (maybe because the Upholder arised and brought chaos and mayhem with him) people fled from the so paradisic world, to different worlds out there. The humans came to Earth.

Just a thought. i started reading this thread last night, so I haven't really thought it all out...yet. But I'm working on it. =)

Anyway, I'm glad if I can be of some help.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:43 PM   #156
The Magister

And one more thing. It would be sooo cool if you could have an odd race in your company, say, a troll or something.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:50 PM   #157
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Sorry not to have been posting in here but i had surgery and have been out of commision for 2 weeks.

The game seems to be coming along pretty well. sounds like youve got alot of good quests worked out. Let me know what al is happening Link and if you need any input email me or find me on msn.

Take care guys.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2001, 11:18 AM   #158
Legolas the Elven Archer

An interesting idea, making the halfworld the prime planet instead of the earth. I do think it needs to be perfected a bit, but it has some good points.
Giving every race a different planet opens up quite a few possible quests, where the party can visit the worlds of other races, but if I would play a game in which everything was connected like that, I doubt if it would feel right. Somehow the idea seems to be the easy way out. It might be better if there were only a few planets, with a situation like this:

"Moonday 5, Darkmonth.
Since the Upholder's rise to power our world has grown dark. Wizards of all races that are part of the Alliance (give it a different name or it will not sound very original) have gathered in the north to open up rifts to different worlds. Only the humans and the dwarfs still openly oppose the Upholder, fighting their guerillia wars in the Blue Mountains seperating the northern and southern parts of the continent.

Thunderday 29, Darkmonth.
After weeks of struggle, the wizards have succeeded in opening three rifts, and we started leaving our homeworld. When the Upholder found out, he launched a massive assault and many were killed. In these days, the last remaining humans launched a counter attack at the Upholder itself. Wielding the sword crafted by the elves, their leader weakened the Upholder before it got away. Many of our allies have now escaped the world, but at a great price. Most wizards have been killed or were trapped on the other side of a rift when they closed. We can open no more now, and can only hope the Upholder will not recover from it's wounds."

Of course, this would seem a bit like the situation in Raymond E Feist's Riftwar series, so I'm sure it could be improved further still.

Making the Halfworld the place of all fantasy would go a bit too far, you'd better claim that tere is no such thing like fantasy, at least not on the Halfworld.

Your solution also doesn't stop the problem of the time in which the main character left, as knowledge, skill and avaliable items are different in these cases. In the Dark Ages, there were some people who could fight really well, but they were rather supersticious and didn't have advanced technology. They also wouldn't have much interest in the history of the halfworld (with some exceptions) nor would they be as good at problem solving as modern people. Still, they would fit better in the halfworld, as those people have always featured in fantasy stories, while modern day people would seem a bit out of place.
The language problem would be fixed though. (nonetheless, I still like my Atlantis explenation better, but that's just me )

And as for the weird character, thats a really cool idea

Oh, and Link? If you can't find a willing company, don't make it a game but write a book. If it's good enough you'll find a publisher (much easier than finding a company, if you ask me) and get some royalties for it.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 07-08-2001, 08:55 AM   #159
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Legolas is right once again.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again You have to write a great story to have a great game.

it does sound alot like The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist (thank god Im not the only person on this planet thats read it) which was a fantastic series.

As Legolas said, write a book. It could easily be made into a game later. Lots of books have been turned into games. Look at Baldurs gate and its other releases. If it werent for J.R.R Tolkien writing the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings we wouldnt be playing BG BG2 Ice Wind Dale and all this stuff. Its becuase of one of the greatest authors in history that we have one of the coolest games to play.

Gary Gygax didnt really invent D&D..... Tolkien did......

If youve ever heard of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan its been turned into a game as well. Theres LOTS of others too

Write a book (at least to get your story strait) then think about the game.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2001, 11:57 AM   #160
The Magister

As I said - I just recently read this thread so it's not all gold and all that. It was just an idea. And a good one, in my opinion! =)
Of course noone would "claim" the Halfworld the place of all fantasy. And of course, no such thing as fantasy, since the halfworld is pretty much non-fantasy for our characters. I know that. The statement that the Halfworld was the place for all fantasy-like games was for us - the real-life human-beings.

i don't read fantasy books so I haven't even heard of the Riftwar Saga. Sorry.
But I promise you Link (and everybody else). If you write a book, it will be the first fantasybook I'll read.
And..Ehrm..is it ok to say I know you when the book/game is as successful as the Lord of The Rings/Baldurs Gate?