Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 07:17 AM   #11
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Darknite:
Well Tobbin I've been where you are now and that is why I have sought and found a PW thats passworded and online 24/7. http://www.caenyr.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=
check it out.
I can't explain it better than to say go see for your self. Their's a place for every alignment in the game. Lots of good RP at all times of the day or night. It's hidden so you can't see it on gamespy you have to direct connect.
Only had a chance to skim over it, but it looks promising. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:31 AM   #12
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well what I meant with Morrowind was that is really repetative in it´s way as well, but it is with no doubt much bigger and deeper, but after reaching level 26 and gotten somewhat along the general guidelines of the main quest, I still had 75% of the area to explore. So I went, on foot and teleport and siltrides. What did I find when I got there?

Some small villages, some stupid quests and cities I could take by force if I wanted to.

My meaning is this:
Very few games can hold a dynamic challenge over the timeline. Morrowind had a very good scale in the beginning and the way you developed your character was nice, interesting and also very interesting. You became the person you play more or less.

But in the end, you get stuck in your own thinking to much, your way of solving problems became part of the problem. And the endless running around in realtime, transporting people here and there for what purpose? Being nice, nice gifts?

I haven´t been able to buy a single item that I like or have used so much as the Daedric bow. No weapon can even compair to my own creation of adaedric longsword with my own magic. Sure this is fun to make your own things, but it also lessens the importance of making all the fed-ex missions around. In the end, I saw the game more or less like a slow fantasy shoot-em game with implementations of thief and Deus Ex in it. Too bad, it started out like dream!

Nwn, is well it´s D&D, you can´t expect too much from a game like that. It´s quick basic, and I find that in the Bioware and BG games you can at least expect to find the rewards due to your efforts and the challenges to challenging. Sure, I had hoped for so much more, and hopefully that will be left online the day a mortal man can get a fast connection in Sweden without being a student or rich!

Single player campaign is fed-ex, but more for your own leisure then much else, give the four horserider idea is plain naive hehe, but it is easy to get going.

At least, it was more interesting having a mage duel than hunting crabs on the west coast of Morrowind, and then get insta killed by entering a weird looking building the first time..
Well, alot of ranting and BS from me here but, I have to say that the best games so far has been overly controlled with wellprepaired scripts, the feeling that Planescape torment gave you, the Fealing when you sneaked around area 51 in Deus X? Or the creeping up on a guard in Thief?
All very scripted, prepaired.

Until we get a AI controlled DM that can play tileset god for itself, I´m afraid we are stuck with this. My hope still lies with IWD2, an online experience with NWN and that Deus X2 can live up to the new hype.

Give me a few weeks, and we can do this topic all again I´m sure
By then hopefully I have had a few days unplugged rolling some real dice with my flesh and blood friends playing tabletop stylee

OUps.. thats alot of crappa

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:36 AM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Actually, I loved the game and its story. It wasn't BGII, but then, what is? It's like saying that every movie isn't Casablanca. Parts I didn't like about the game: The Stone of Recall, and having your henchman respawn ecvery time that hey get killed. It makes it too easy. But, that said, great NPC's (loved Sharwyn and Aribeth. I note that there are some real cults developing about those two.) and, as said, I liked the storyline. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Even PS: T had Fedex Quests, especially at the beginning.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:31 AM   #14
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

Yay! I'm not the only one that hated the game!(sorta) I'll keep my rant bridef since it looks like someone else got the long part over with...

Several killer points:
1) NWN overdid the plot elements like betrayal so they got pointless(like what, 6 of the 8 ppl u initially meet get killed or betray u?!)

2) Camera engine not bad, but it gets irritating travelling across areas and u have to constantly click because u get stuck around walls unlike BG2. Enemies off the screen half-show up due to colouring effects, but ur henchmen go off to fight them and u can't see them or give them instructions. nonono...

3) Graphics...not good or bad. Tilesets get repetitive so every dungeon looks like the last. Model rendering not bad, but u don't even get capes for ur mages! Everyone looks like some version of a punk-rocker, so bards got the best of stuff here. Spell effects were OK, that's about it.

4) Music: This wuz one thing I actually liked about this game(being a music critic and composer myself), and raised my notes significantly throughout the game. Sound effects didn't ring a bell, but I wasn't paying much attention to them...

5) AI engine and mercenaries...WTF were they thinking at the R&D?!?! An RPG w/o a party system is doomed to die! My fighter had too low INT score and couldn't advance in the story because he couldn't persuade a key character! U can only play as mage or something!! Ur fighters fight at random w/o any strategy, u can summon a few critters...just bad. Little or no strategical gameplay unlike BG2.

6) Story: Not good or bad(again), WAY too many sidequests, most of them totally unimportant or questionable if they're worth yer time...

This is only a few off the top of my head, but u get the point. Seriously flawed, weak story(ppl can argue this, but IMO it wuz bad), it didn't get much better throughout. Mostly hack'n'slash.

*I actually returned this game to the store it was so bad to me!*

[ 09-09-2002, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Suzaku ]
Old 09-09-2002, 03:01 PM   #15
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I liked NWNs. mostly... I got sick of the liner storyline tho. and you're right, they could have done more with the toolset. the thing that annoyed me MOST of all was the ranged weapons. they ARE useless. a longbow can fire from at least 600 paces away... and hit the target... I just couldnt SEE far ENOUGH TO hit anything, until it was right ontopa me. that REALLY annoyed me... Aribeth... I wanted to defect and join her... why? Because I got sick of "Lord" Nasher... he is ONE character I really hate. I mean with a bit of time and effort, they could have made the game a LOT better. overall it was a good game, tho, just not as good as they portrayed, a pity it couldnt have been released a couple of years ago...

another thing I disliked was the mages, again lack of sight/range.. the FEW times I tried playing as a mage, I got a sword tho the gut before I could unleash even HALF of my spells... and YES I WAS a high lvl. it doesnt compare to BG2... in that asspect, I just got annoyed, and whacked em with my staff. well, thats MY dirogatary comments over with, overall, I was dissapointed, but it is still a favourite of mine.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:05 PM   #16
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well... I mainly play MP. Especially since the game got really boring in chapter2...
But playing online is a great deal of fun, there are many unique semi-persistant worlds out there.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #17
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Wow, what a rant thread Wolfie. I would have to say that you are absolutely right. It seems like you always find something wrong or things you don't like about any of the games out there these days. You're also right about Morrowind. It did get very old towards the end there. But it was still fun and overall, a pretty good game. I have to totally agree with you about Thief and also Thief 2. What terrific games. I enjoyed playing both of those and my interest was held throughout the whole game. I have never played Planescape Torment, but it sounds like I should pick it up.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:09 PM   #18
Tomas Darknite
Dungeon Master

You know I don't think you people fully grasp the kind of game this is, I mean yes the Baldurs gate series was great but ultimately it comes to an end and when I say end I mean end. it goes no further you can’t start a new game and not know what’s coming around the corner cause you’ve already been there. NWN never ends, NEVER. Already there must be 500 mods out there to download and play. Do you even grasp the amount of money Bio-ware gave up here. and there are some very good mods out there to play and then there's the online aspect and the hack mods out there that fix the camera angle problem. People have got new portraits out to download and the computer genus's out there are writing new scripts but the bundles. This game has paid for its self a hundred times over and the really amazing thing about this game is that a ordinary person with no computer skills at all can take this game and download modules and play it everyday with out having to make another purchase, no money required period. I for one would like all the MOD builders out there to know how much I appreciate their hard work. And ladies and gentleman this is the first of its kind, new, the mold if you will for the future, of course it won't be perfect but man it comes close.
My Opinion of course. Ha Ha Ha
Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 PM   #19
Atrayu
The Magister

Taking this game online is a must to complete all that it has imho. Where else can you change yourself into many different shape's and talk or hangout (like a chat room) with your friends as a Red Dragon?
Old 09-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #20
Tancred
White Dragon

I think it's less that this game is BETTER when used in a multiplayer context; it's more that this game was not designed for single players at all. When they release ID2, I reckon we'll see how a REAL Aurora Engine single-player game works.

Well, I HOPE.

It can't be this bad ALL the time, surely?

Damn, I ned broadband.