Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 06:17 PM   #41
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Zero Alpha: my comp experiences no slowness at all! Its as fast as can be. WinXP fires up in less then a minute, games run fast, copying is fast. There is no reason for me to defrag.

Ross, I have 330 gigabytes full of stuff. ANime, movies, music, games, files, VOB's, ogg's & ogm's. 330 is nothing really. Why do you think I found this site in the first place?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #42
andrewas
Harper

You should still run defrag on occasion, because the slow down is cumulative and when it starts to be a problem defrag can take hours.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #43
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

Zero Alpha: my comp experiences no slowness at all! Its as fast as can be. WinXP fires up in less then a minute, games run fast, copying is fast. There is no reason for me to defrag.
This is what is known in professional circles as talking out of your arse
In other words you waffle on about something for which you obviously don't understand the theoretical background and yet manage to "back up" your opinion with something that seems like evidence [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It is a fact that files are deleted and created/moved onto your hard disk regularly. It is a fact that the files will be different sizes and new files won't be able to exactly fill the gaps left on the disk by the old files hence the file will be stored in little fragments throughout your disk. It is a fact that files stored in one piece are faster to read. Defrag puts files back together. End of lesson.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #44
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
zuvio
---------------
Ross, I have 330 gigabytes full of stuff. ANime, movies, music, games, files, VOB's, ogg's & ogm's. 330 is nothing really. Why do you think I found this site in the first place?
because of anime???

Zuvio on a side note: just do try and accept the fact the defrag improves the speed of the computer and makes it more stable (but winxp is already stable so you wont notice the difference)

to make it easier what a defragmentation does to your hard drive:

just imagine that your hard disk is a library and it is not arranged in any way.. so it would be absoloutly chaotic. it would take time for the computer to find the certain file you are looking for because the files are jumbled all over the place. now, with defragmentation, all the files are rearranged in a proper and good sequence so your computer wont have a hard time looking for it.

thats what defragmentation does.

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-26-2004, 01:23 AM   #45
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Reminds me of an old cartoon i saw where there was a picture of a large building with barred windows with a sign out the front "mental institution for people who lost 10gig of data from corroupted harddrives".
I think i would also be ...... angry ..... if i lost 1000gig
Old 01-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #46
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Hark: I know what defrag is and I acknowledge the fact that it is useful but not for me so i don't use it. But i think its cool you tried to explain anyways, so kudos mate!

Vaskez: it is a fact that you just spam-posted, because you used 551 characters, butting in on a conv to which you add absolutely nothing at all, something that is not wanted and/or needed.
And putting smilies in your post doesnt diminish the lameness of it. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2004, 01:25 PM   #47
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I accept my lameness if you accept your combined dumb and smartassedness You can think what you like as long as you got the message [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Smilies are not meant to diminish any lameness which is in fact non-existant, but they are there to show the current expression on my face which otherwise you wouldn't "see"

Anyway, it's ok I understand that you feel emabarrassed, you'll get over it

[ 01-26-2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 01-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #48
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

STOP! Dammit, you people are killing me! Another thread that had me rolling on the floor (in a manner of speaking [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

As for me, I get along fine with 80GB...though I have filled my 32.2 GB partition with a load of multimedia...I'm getting a seperate drive for that...I really need more space! Mostly anime that takes it up...I mean, I have two series on here and they together take up up...*goes and checks*...hm, only about 8GB in total...ah! All my vids take up 22GB.

Off topic: Is it worth getting 1GB of RAM? It's just that RAM seems so cheap nowadays, and I might as well upgrade as I can afford it, but would it do any good? I only play games and run basic music software and stuff...
Old 01-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #49
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:

Off topic: Is it worth getting 1GB of RAM? It's just that RAM seems so cheap nowadays, and I might as well upgrade as I can afford it, but would it do any good? I only play games and run basic music software and stuff...
I think more RAM is pretty much always good the more RAM you have the more stuff can be open at once without slow-down that occurs if your comp pages in virtual memory from the hard disk. Although if you don't run many memory-hungry applications at once you might not notice any difference. Up to a point, things will speed up though.

For example, when I upgraded from 128MB to 640MB of RAM ( a nice quintupling ) the speed increase in loading times and switching between applications was brilliant - not 5 times but more like 1.5 times or twice as fast - still pretty good in my book [img]smile.gif[/img]