Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

I'm creating a themed character (again), and I need suggestions. This one is going to be a Fire theme, I think. Anyway, the guidelines:

Mage, Human, 17/18/18/18/12/10.
I'm GK'ing in a Fire Wand with max charges (10,000?). This, and the fire spells available to the mage, are all that he'll use. The distribution is my choice. If I'm getting this correctly, these are the fire spells:

Level 1
-Burning Hands

Level 2
-Aganazzar's Scorcher

Level 3
-Fireball
-Flame Arrow
-MMM?
-Protection from Fire

Level 4 (just in case)
-Fireshield (Red)

Anyway, those are all that I can use. As each level has a fire spell, I have to get those...no buffs / protections.

This can also be done with ice or lightning; Shocking Grasp, Ice Storm, Lightning Bolt, etc., and the respective wand.

I need opinions on it. Ways to improve it, if any, opinions on how cheap it is (starting with Fireball and Scorcher is quite powerful, but I won't have any non-fire spells, let alone protection spells (unless you count Fireshield and PfF).

I think that's it. Thanks ahead of time.

[ 04-06-2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]
Old 04-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

couple of things occur:

have you thought about taking a level or two of fighter or thief so you can used a bow and arrows of fire!?

also - to make you feel better i found a wand of fire at the ambush site in one game as random loot - couldn't believe it myeslf but it gives you an excuse (if think the 10,000 charges might be overdoing it a bit though - you want something to earn )
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

I don't want a bow. I want a free source of magic attacks, so I can experiment with the spells that I never use (i.e. Sleep, Chaos, etc.).

I think you're suggesting dualling as soon as I can, so that I can use the arrows, though. I've considered this...not that appealing ::shrug::

I found my first WoF (In BGI) in the Ankheg Hole. I used it a few times, saw how useful it was, and made this topic.

Update: I've been experimenting with the Wands. In order of preference, it's now Lightning > Frost > Fire. Lightning is incredibly cool, especially for long hallways and such (kobolds in the mines, anyone?). It's unpredictable, and I'm afraid of using it with a party. Frost is very nice (8d6 damage...), but if an enemy is frozen and cubed, everything except gold disappears, I think. Fire, of course, has two attacks, but it's just fire. Boring, straight damage, nothing fun about it. To each his own [img]smile.gif[/img]

I want a Dagger of Lightning/Ice/Fire type weapon. You could have a set...Robe of Resistance, Dagger, and Wand. Mm, tasty.

Anyway, opinions awaited.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

There is no need to create a wand with 10,000 charges. Simply edit the magical uses of the wand so that the number of charges = 0, which will let you use that particular magical effect infinitely many times; I did this with a normal dart to make an endlessly useable dart (it copies itself). You might want to obtain the ring and robe of fire resistance, as those items would fit the pyrophilic theme. Finally, you could create a mage version of the druid spell Flame Blade, since that would also fit the theme. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the tip, I never knew about it. Now I can apply it to the special ammo, as well
Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Erm, perhaps I'm missing something, but how do you do that? When I set the quantity to 0, it gives me one dart that I can use, and it disappears.