Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 12:04 PM   #1
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Okay I've just entered a new area with quite a few traps and realised that my thief has not got the ability of thieving and stealth mode. She's a Human thief if it makes any difference. Problem is that she's the only thief I created thinking that one would be more than enough and now I cannot open locked boxes (unless I try to force them) or detect traps. Is there any reason for this and any way I could fix it without having to restart the game? I have Dalekeeper but could not see any way that might help me.
Also, I just noticed that my human paladin cannot turn undead. His "Turn Undead" box is gey'd out just like my thiefs stealth and thieving.

[This message has been edited by Bokken (edited 08-29-2001).]
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 01:50 PM   #2
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I'm not sure, but you might want to check your theif's armor.
Heavy armors interfere w/abilities.
As for the Paladin, maybe the lvl. ?
Elif Godson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:58 PM   #3
Gyruss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

"I cannot open locked boxes (unless I try to force them) or detect traps"

There's no garuntee that you will open every locked box. As for traps it might take a bit to detect the trap. A theif won't always see the trap right when it comes up to it.
Gyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 06:25 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

First, make sure that your thief is not wearing any armor other than leather or studded. Metal armor will mess with thieving skills.

Second, go slow as you check for traps. Move forward a few spaces and stop and wait. Make sure your detect trap icon is on. It takes time for them to show up in red. Impatience will hurt you or kill you.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:22 PM   #5
Alaric
Manshoon

A Paladin can start turning undead at 3rd level.

Your thief's ability to find/remove traps and pick locks is dependent upon the number of skill points that have been allocated to these abilities. Every time that you go up in level you should have 20 skill points to allocate to these abilities.

------------------
All the world is a stage and we are all actors playing our parts.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:34 AM   #6
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Great thanks to all of you for the helpful replies!

It was the armour that was doing it in both my thief and palladin. I did some swapping around and it is all good again! I guess I should have taken a closer look at the Instruction Manual (Page 33) But damn........that thing is so huge that by the time I read it all and understand it too, the sequel will be out.

Anyhow. I once again thank you!

Bokken
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:12 PM   #7
Vampire

Give it time.

------------------
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:34 PM   #8
barbarossa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had the same problem with my Thief. I switched to leather armor and waited and walked slowly. This seemed to solve the problem. As to the Paladin question, I am currently playing a paladin charachter and turn undead works all the time regardless of armor.
barbarossa is offline   Reply With Quote