Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-19-2001, 06:27 PM   #11
Desuma_Malevois

Not quite true - rangers and druids can dual class, but their choice is limited to cleric and fighter, respectively.

Ecob16, in order to legitimately create a Kensai/Mage you have to make a human Kensai with a minimum 15 Strength and 17 Intelligence. Kensai/Thieves can also be a lot of fun. Really your choice should depend upon your preferred style of play and who you intend to have in your party. I like to have a thief scouting ahead while hiding in shadows. He gives me a good idea of what I'm about to face, and he lets my spellcasters target their spells without having to actually see the enemy, which perhaps helps them to get their spells off quicker than the foe. In addition, I love to backstab, and the Kensai/Thief can be one of the most awesome backstabbers in the game. Others, I'm sure, will tell you about how powerful Kensai/Mages are and I'm sure they are also correct - the point is to have fun with what you are playing.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Desuma_Malevois (edited 08-19-2001).]

Old 08-19-2001, 06:37 PM   #12
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by trux:
You got plenty of options for this.

Evil fighter? One man for the job - Korgan.

Evil cleric? Happens to be (in my opinion) the best cleric in the game - Viconia.

Evil wizard? The dude - Edwin.

Actually, I was referring to ones that I would have to CTRL+Q to get (i.e. I couldn't get them normally). I would add each of those guys you just said, plus the additional guys.

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-19-2001, 11:26 PM   #13
Starkiller
The Magister

I have to ask about this ctrl-Q thing, it has been killing me, and I haven't tried it because normally I don't like to cheat but it sounds like maybe its not really cheating too much if it is just giving you more options for your party...they are not like broken right? (better than a normal character/not able to be created, or so good that the should not be able to be created by normal means for those who don't use the terminology) and here is the question that has been eating me...WHERE DO THEY COME FROM? Are they chars you can get in ToB? from other games? Enemies? and, as Nerull asked, do they have pics and voices? can you equip them? stuff like that. I am dying to know

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 08-20-2001, 07:22 AM   #14
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

in the baldur.ini file add the line "debug=1". this will enable cheats.

while the cursor is over (just about) any non-party creature in the game, control-Q will automatically add them to your party if it's currently less than six members. they will have no voice, no dialogue, no portrait (you can add one via shadowkeeper), and no script. you can equip them just like any other character.

i usually just do it for fun, like when Firkraag gets ready to roast me while i step behind my new buddy, Mr. Adamantite Golem.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:48 AM   #15
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Just use shadowkeeper to make Imoen or Jan chaotic evil.
Or get the helmet of opposite alligment(though most thieves cant wear it).

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:25 AM   #16
ecob16
Dungeon Master

Thanks a lot desuma thats cleared up a lot of questions in my mind
by the waywhere do you find this helm of opposite allignment and will it make a neutral character evil??
Old 08-20-2001, 10:56 AM   #17
Desuma_Malevois

I'm not sure if the Helm of Opposite Alignment can be found in BG2 - I remember it from the TOTSC expansion to BG1. Theoretically, the Helm has just as much a chance of turning a neutral character Lawful Good as it does Chaotic Evil. It's probably much easier to download and use Shadowkeeper. It may be found at http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html

Old 08-20-2001, 12:38 PM   #18
LSRVIKING
The Magister

Theres not enough evil characters! No evil theif. Only one evil fighter in SOA.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:03 PM   #19
oldbittercraig
Elminster

"There's only one evil fighter in SOA"-

There's only one straight fighter in SOA, for that matter.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:05 PM   #20
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by LSRVIKING:
Theres not enough evil characters! No evil theif. Only one evil fighter in SOA.
Marketing, I expect.

Didn't D&D/TSR/Wizards of the Coast take a lot of shots from Concerned Christian Parents who thought the game encouraged evil and demon summoning, and pointed to things like Assassin classes and evil allignments and so on as "proof."

I seem to recall that the assassin was, at one point, going to be only an NPC in the 2nd Edition, and that the publishers wanted to focus on good alligned role playing for the games's public face.

But I stopped paying attention around that time (1989) cause my subscription to Dragon ran out and I went to college where they provided me with this marvelous fluid called beer.

So I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if the game had a good "bias." Of course, as I said, I haven't really paid attention for quite some time, so it wouldn't surprise me to be butt-ass wrong either.

Anyone heard anything about this? The priest at the high school I went to had to sit in on our D&D club once or twice to make sure we weren't drawing pentagrams on the floor and stuff, and he had read fundamentalist magazine did a smear job on the game without talking to a single gamer but that was the limit of the Concerned Parent/Concerned Christian attacks that I personally experienced...