Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I feel a little out of place in the forum since the only game here listed that I have is Morrowind. So I;m thinking of buying either Baldur's Gate or BGII. Is either one really better? I don't know much about the stories (Not much translates to none) but I hear realy good things. Is the BG series like Elder Scrolls in the way that the seperate games don't have a connected story? Or should I buy BG1 so I can understand BG2 later? I can assume that BG2 is larger and/or has better graphics, and I know it's a large open-ended game, but which is the better buy?
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

I'd suggest you get both and play BG1 with tutu..

But that's just me, BG2 is better grafics, though you miss out a lot of gameplay by jumping into BG2 off the bat..

Don't read the walkthroughs the first time you play, they will totaly spoil your game if you do.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

If I absolutely *had* to buy one of the games, I'd get BG1 and Tales of the Sword Coast expansion.

That way, if you decide that you do like the game you can at least carry on your adventures once you've saved up enough for BG2.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

You should be able to get both for at most $60 Canadian, including expansions. You don't need BG2 to play it (I certainly managed), it's just a few of the dialouge options you have seem sorta odd to the new player. (Like you meet somebody, that you yourself obviously don't know, but one of the options is "Hey, didn't I kill you back at blahblahblha?" and you're like whaaaa? )
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

While Baldur's Gate 1 has (in my eyes) a steeper lurning curve than Baldur's Gate 2, I sincerely advise you to buy the former before attempting to try the latter. Not only will this work out better storywise, you'll also be playing with the knowledge that you have a follow-up available, which is - debatably - better (if possible!) than Baldur's Gate 1. You'll never know until you try though.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
Black Robed One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IMHO, Baldur’s Gate II is (IMHO) better then Baldur’s Game I (I’ve played both, but I have only BG1 at the moment), as BG2 has (IMHO) a longer and more interesting storyline and some VERY interesting interactions between NPCs and between the main character and NPCs (BG1 has more recruitable NPCs, though).

However, just like many others before me, I’d advice you to start playing with BG1; if you start playing BG2, you will miss much of a storyline, and if you move to BG1 later, some important events will be spoiled for you by BG2. Moreover, when you finish with BG1 you can go ahead and import your BG1 character into BG2, as it is meant to be.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Start with BG1, then, when you despire the engine, get BG2.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

So the story is continued form the first to the next? That's plenty of reason to get BG1 first then. Although I'm still not entirely sure if I'm gonna buy either one of 'em. Oh, and will it cause a problem later if I buy this game used? Cause I know some games (like AvP 2) you can't play online if it's used because someone else already registered that game. Anything like that in BG or BG2?
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

I bought BG 1 about a month and a half ago and about halfway through knew I would have to get BG 2 (and will soon get ToB). I bought the games on e-bay and have had no problems (one I downloaded the patch that is). [img]smile.gif[/img] The games are HIGHLY addictive IMO...at least until you finish it the first time....I haven't tried going through BG 1 again yet.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by armageddon272:
So the story is continued form the first to the next? That's plenty of reason to get BG1 first then. Although I'm still not entirely sure if I'm gonna buy either one of 'em. Oh, and will it cause a problem later if I buy this game used? Cause I know some games (like AvP 2) you can't play online if it's used because someone else already registered that game. Anything like that in BG or BG2?
Well, it's not like you have to have played BGI to play BGII and understand it. Sure, you meet many of the characters from BGI, and have interactions that BGI would (maybe) help you understand, but for the completely new player BGII is still excellent. I myself have never played BGI, and I understand the game completely.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote